Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 225996 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 04:57:32 pm »

I don't really care how minor it is. Gaining an in-game advantage for money just irritates me.

This.  I don't care if it happens in a non-competitive game like Diablo, but in a competitive game its just ridiculous. 

Imagine if a hockey team could pay to start 3 inches farther.  Its a tiny advantage that is almost meaningless, but its still completely against the spirit of competition to allow it.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Gimhalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 05:01:28 pm »

There was a pretty big PvP community in D2. Did they do away with it in D3? Going against someone with Nigma in D2 was just unfair. Having someone pay $10 to get it so they can own you in D3 just wouldn't be right.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 05:04:15 pm »

There was a pretty big PvP community in D2. Did they do away with it in D3? Going against someone with Nigma in D2 was just unfair. Having someone pay $10 to get it so they can own you in D3 just wouldn't be right.

I think they still have pvp, but I don't think they are focusing on it.  I never tried PVP in the previous ones so I didn't realize how popular it was.  Doesn't seem like the sort of game that would be fun PVP to me.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 05:13:01 pm »

Actually last I recall, they said they want to support esports in D3 PvP as well. I don't know if it's going to be quite the same as D2's pvp worlds, although that may still be in. But PvP is going to get more structured in D3, if not by release then at some point. They've said as much.

On the other hand, I don't think hardcore characters can use the AHs at all. So maybe hardcore PvP is still viable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Wravburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 05:19:41 pm »

You could buy items in D2.

Valve needs to open the book on Dota2, too many questions, not enough answers.
League of Legends
EU-west: Wash

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 05:27:39 pm »

Valve is aways myserious mysterious about its stuff. Remember portal 2? Easter eggs everywhere till we got an official mention of it.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 05:37:55 pm »

This is true. I remember trying to download it within Warcraft. You would not see so many people freak out from that. Why? It's just a game! I never understood it.

And then there was no way to learn it otherwise. If you were new in a game, better believe someone left 5 seconds in.

There was an AI version where you could play the AIs.

But I never thought the game was good.

I remember back when it first popped out, and we all knew it was terrible because the original creators put no effort into balancing anything. There were just shiny new models everywhere.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Gimhalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 05:44:08 pm »

Levi - It really wasn't that fun. Usually someone with nigma would just tele on top of you, cast one spell, and you'd be stunlocked and they'd kill you.

Wravburn - They're just doing this to build hype for the tourney. The book will be open right after the tourney I'm pretty sure.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 05:45:14 pm »

Actually last I recall, they said they want to support esports in D3 PvP as well. I don't know if it's going to be quite the same as D2's pvp worlds, although that may still be in. But PvP is going to get more structured in D3, if not by release then at some point. They've said as much.

On the other hand, I don't think hardcore characters can use the AHs at all. So maybe hardcore PvP is still viable.

There will be an arena mode in D3. It will work like in WoW. Ratings, titles, 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 etc.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 06:07:31 pm »

There is one big difference everyone is missing between DOTA and LoL/HoN/DOTA2. Player rankings. People would get mad because there was no way to know anything about the people playing with you, unless it was at a LAN. Obviously player ranking systems don't completely eliminate this, but they help.

As a general rule, people who play ranked games in League are more competitive. They want a serious experience and they are going to play someone they know. They are going to be placed with and against people of their realitive skill level. Obviously not a perfect system, but it works far better than the "olden days" system of "random group of people 1 fight random group of people 2".

Hopefully DOTA 2 will have a similar (but better) system.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 06:55:33 pm »

There was an AI version where you could play the AIs.

But I never thought the game was good.

Which did basically nothing to actually prepare you for a full blown DotA match... or even a half blown DotA match, really. Edit: About half the time, though, it was more genuinely enjoyable than actually playing with other people, th'folks playing being what they were.

I'll give a nod to the DotA dislike, though. I actually love me some AoS, but DotA... it felt likes its creativity and, I'unno, moxy, capped out pretty early in its dev cycle, while fair dozens of other AoS-style games were still experimenting, implementing new and interesting things, etc, etc, etc. DotA just got kinda' staid and boring after a few plays.

Maybe DotA 2'll be better about it, but... if I was going to play a stand-alone AoS, I'd want to play one that held up the Aeon of Strife spirit while ducking the DotA yoke. Something that really pushed the 'one mighty person influencing clashing armies' thing, instead of this vague sports-like monstrosity DotA's become. F'th'gods sake, the major commerical AoS games still use, what, 4-5 critter waves? The original AoS did better than that! Kick this shtick up a notch!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:15:31 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 07:14:28 pm »

You don't gain an in-game advantage for money in LoL. You really don't.

Annie, who is 1350 IP, rapes face just as easily as Brand, who is 6300 IP.

It is your responsibility to:

1. Make sure you have at least 2-3 heroes to fill each role before playing ranked.

2. Make sure if you're going to switch with someone they/you have what you want to switch for.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:16:48 pm by Yodamaster »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 07:22:28 pm »

And you fulfill that responsibility by spending monies.

Hurray.

Sorry, I gotta stop posting in this thread as nothing good will come from it. I absolutely hate these top-down tower-defense pvp arena style games.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 07:24:14 pm »

And you fulfill that responsibility by spending monies.

Hurray.

Sorry, I gotta stop posting in this thread as nothing good will come from it. I absolutely hate these top-down tower-defense pvp arena style games.

IP = not real money currency.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 07:28:06 pm »

Yeah, I know you can unlock zeroes heroes with in game money. I've watched people playing it a few times on stream and tubes.

Spending money is always the easiest way to advance unlock things in these games. Including Op7, an online FPS I like.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:29:58 pm by Soulwynd »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 246