Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 226307 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #435 on: June 01, 2012, 12:04:00 pm »

Shit, f2p is coming apparantly.

PLUS
The above post.

Aka, i'm not going to play this at all.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 01, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »

I was looking foward to this going F2P, but after hearing some of the statements in this thread; I'm not sure if I want to play this anymore.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 01, 2012, 12:14:40 pm »

I was looking foward to this going F2P, but after hearing some of the statements in this thread; I'm not sure if I want to play this anymore.

I really think this is the best implementation of F2P I've seen.  The biggest risk is that they could always change it for the worse later, but I think in its current described state its pretty good.  And this is coming from someone who despises F2P and everything it represents.

Edit:  Haha, apparently you can pay 40 dollars in the Dota 2 store for "Early Beta Access".  This entertains me to no end.  That is some clever thinking.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:31:13 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 01, 2012, 12:58:56 pm »

Well, yea.  This may be under development by Valve, but it's still an aots with all that implies about the community.  I pretty much always play with a couple friends and I'm always prepared to mute my entire team.  Sure, it's not the best thing to do for teamplay, but it's the best thing to do for my stress hormone levels.  Just think of the pool of people you're going to meet in Dota2 as being /b/.  You'll develop reasonable expectations about their behavior if you do that.  And again.

That said, I have noticed that morning EST is a pretty terrible time to queue, since it's the late afternoon in Eastern Europe.  I really hate the stereotypes about Russians and Brazilians... but I can't shake the feeling that they're true more often than not.  Late, late est is OK and regular old evening est is probably best from what I've seen.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 02, 2012, 09:27:31 am »

"I really hate the stereotypes about Russians and Brazilians... but I can't shake the feeling that they're true more often than not."

Yeah, this is pretty much my feelings about it too. I pretty much know it's racist to think they're all incompetent but what they've demonstrated to me over hundreds of games across not just this, but LoL as well just keeps reinforcing my belief. I mean, there are a lot of great players from those parts who are nice, but the guys who spam the mikes in their languages and broadcast their nationality while flaming everything are not helping things.

After all, if you went to a restaurant 5 times, and each time you got something extremely crappy because each time you had the bad luck of being served by a lunatic, then you're going to think that restaurant completely sucks.

-----

In other news, I got a strange hat for Furion. But it levels up based on how many trees I spawn. xD I wonder how fast I can level this baby up.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 02, 2012, 10:13:10 am »

In other news, I got a strange hat for Furion. But it levels up based on how many trees I spawn. xD I wonder how fast I can level this baby up.
Wow, Dota 2 seems to be one step ahead of TF2 developement ;D

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 02, 2012, 12:05:35 pm »

I got a back shark thing for tide, and then three chests in a row... this makes me sad but i still love the game ;D  I think once you get past the 20 games played mark type thing you don't get stuck in with the idiots and ragers anymore. Cause I've got 47 wins i think and I rarely end up with anyone on my team that isn't nice and all about the fun, I mean some people get a tad upset but none of the same screaming and cursing that everyone is a noob anymore.
edit:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008095944/
heres my steam account, I'm basically always up for a game when I'm online :D  Been trying to get a full 5 person team together for some nights and so far have two other people I routinely play with so halfway there guys!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:07:13 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 02, 2012, 01:10:44 pm »

Well, not really.  There is no shortage of morons playing dota, at pretty much all skill levels.  For example, laning axe who levels counter helix first and pushes the lane constantly or someone who picks batrider (for one) and then runs away from his 4 melee team when he ults (for two).  rage dump.

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 02, 2012, 01:12:29 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 02, 2012, 01:36:52 pm »

It's not like many NP do much but rice in the jungle anyway.  Even a good player will succumb to the quota urge. Maybe he'll be using his treants to set up an uber micro block on a hero during a gank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CIT4jxAh32c#t=53s

I'm not sure if you can still do this in dota 2.  It's beyond my micro skills to micro 5 things and get total block on a hero.  Oh, and if you try it, make sure they don't have phase boots or you'll just look silly.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 02, 2012, 05:25:47 pm »

It's not like many NP do much but rice in the jungle anyway.  Even a good player will succumb to the quota urge. Maybe he'll be using his treants to set up an uber micro block on a hero during a gank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CIT4jxAh32c#t=53s

I'm not sure if you can still do this in dota 2.  It's beyond my micro skills to micro 5 things and get total block on a hero.  Oh, and if you try it, make sure they don't have phase boots or you'll just look silly.

If it works like it did in WC3, it doesnt take insane micro spells. Select all the treants at once, have them all walk around the hero you want to block, and once you have the hero in the middle of all the walking treants, right click to attack him. The treants will block him all by himself.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 02, 2012, 06:22:38 pm »

Treants spawn in a clump and right clicking will just make them move until they get enough room to attack.  In lots of those, he wasn't just right clicking.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 02, 2012, 07:06:49 pm »

Time for a mspaint tutorial! I've been doing DotA since I was a little kid, lol.

Or did you want to block and not surround? Cant think of too many situations where its better to block then surround, but yea, blocking requires more micro.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:15:57 pm by Rex_Nex »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 02, 2012, 07:27:09 pm »

Yes, but they won't get a proper surround if you do that.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 02, 2012, 07:32:41 pm »

What is a proper surround? Using this, its quite possible to surround the the point where the other hero cant move. If "proper" in this case means doing it manually, then the hell with that :P
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 246