Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best way to fill a moat?  (Read 4755 times)

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to fill a moat?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 09:27:21 pm »

The moat i channeled is a 3 z level deep pit really.  I am in a freezing biome so there is that.....spikes at the bottom sound really nice actually. are they instant kills if some poor creature lands on it?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 11:26:36 pm »

The best moat is filled with repeater spikes and goblin corpses
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 02:08:51 am »

The best moat is filled with repeater spikes and goblin corpses

Yes i think i will do this - I will keep them retracted until I want to use them though (My earlier post said I didnt like killing my own dodging dwarfs.)
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 02:31:21 am »

IMO a dry moat is actually more effective than a water one, as it stops swimmers from getting across. But water moats are cooler, and stop stray gobbos from lurking in them.

If you don't have a river, then your next option is to pump the water from an aquifer, if you have one on your map. Or you could drain one or several murky pools into the moat - you will probably need more water than they can provide (Note that murky pools generate water when it rains, so if it rains a lot that could help) Failing that, your only alternative is to find water in the caverns and build a pumpstack all the way to the surface... which can take quite some time if your caverns are deep...
Line the fort side of a water moat with a fortification wall.  It is less resource and time consuming then trapping a dry moat.  Goblins mounted on swimming mounts aren't so awesome while they are drowning or being filled with bolt-holes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 02:58:12 am »

a moat 3 z-levels deep. At the bottom are spike traps.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 05:48:46 am »

I use water pumped up from an aquifer, and since I wasn't getting enough fill, also several repeater pumps connected to windmills. BIG Moat. Of course, if you were really insane, you could dig two moats, one dry and one wet and line the strip of land between them with traps. All the way around. :D

HUGE_WALRUS

• Bay Watcher
  • What was that, sandvich? Kill them all?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 11:17:23 am »

The best way to fill a moat is with upright spikes at the bottom of a multi-z-level drop.  For extra class, smooth and engrave the bottom layer.

My earlier post said I didnt like killing my own dodging dwarfs.

What are you, an elf?  Everyone knows dorf casualties are even better than goblin ones.  ESPECIALLY if it's the dorf's own fault.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:20:14 am by HUGE_WALRUS »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 12:13:31 pm »

Wait, I thought swimming mounts drowned their riders.  Are most goblins now adequate swimmers?
Pages: 1 [2]