Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 915643 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3360 on: November 20, 2013, 01:04:23 pm »

I want more of these as well.  Painkiller is ok, and Serious Sam is a little better... but nothing has really come close to matching the combat style and atmosphere of Doom.  I also don't think any other arena-style FPS has matched the dynamic level design and freedom of movement in Quake 1 deathmatch, including any of the Quake sequels.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: November 25, 2013, 05:09:01 pm »

One of the things that surprises me about games in general is that there can be so many with a medieval-fantasy theme, but none (or very few) taking place in a medieval Day of Judgement scenario. It's strange that medieval theology wouldn't be a topic, since it was such a strong theme with the time period, and everything that keeps getting made is either a Tolkien derivative, a derivative of Tolkien derivatives, or goes for realism/authenticity.

Even with post-apocalyptic games being so common, you'd think one would go for the Christian medieval apocalypse. It's got basically everything a game needs... undead, demons flying around, giant hellish monstrosities... If I were ever to make a roguelike, a survival game in that setting would be fantastic.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: November 25, 2013, 05:10:02 pm »

Even with post-apocalyptic games being so common, you'd think one would go for the Christian medieval apocalypse. It's got basically everything a game needs... undead, demons flying around, giant hellish monstrosities... If I were ever to make a roguelike, a survival game in that setting would be fantastic.
Isn't Dark Souls a lot like this?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: November 25, 2013, 05:28:02 pm »

I've seen a couple Christian-themed FPS games but they sucked. No doubt simply lack of talent in the maker; I'm sure there's not something inherently lame about the subject matter. Plenty of D&D tropes come straight from various religious texts.

Although I will say that when I read the blurbs for the game, watch the trailer, read reviews, watch LPs ... if I see religious stuff I generally just turn it off and do not buy. I thought Diablo was a fine game despite its religious overtones. Probably would have enjoyed it more without them. I shouldn't have to sit there writhing in intellectual agony, whether it's a game, a movie, a book, etc. But that's not just religious content:

For example, I just went to the theater to see Battle Royale Hunger Games. All but one of the movie trailers I gave a big damn thumbs-down to because they all looked so stupid. And this is the best light they can possibly put the movie in. The Hobbit Part 2 was the only one I would see, and I think the movies would have been so much better if they would just stop trying to invent connections between The Hobbit and LotR, stop parading in the old stars, stop it with all the elves already, and drop the albino completely. Hopefully someone out there makes a fan edit of the Hobbit films without the extra shit. It would probably fit into a three-hour viewing too.

TL;DR: I have no patience for bullshit.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: November 25, 2013, 05:45:32 pm »

I'd like to see a new FPS game that goes by 90's FPS conventions. Huge jumps, par times, open levels with no objective except "get to the exit", crazy powerful superweapons, etc.

If there ever will be such a thing as an indie FPS (excluding ones with a special twist like Superhot or Receiver), I imagine that they'd follow this sort of formula.
Have you tried Painkiller, by any chance? It may be something like what you're looking for.

Yah, Painkiller and Serious Sam 1 and 2 are the ones most like that of the top of my head. The Rise of the Triad remake is supposed to be similar to the original but I haven't played it.

Bulletstorm. Definitely Bulletstorm. It does have a (fittingly pulpy) story, but then there are the Echoes, which are basically 'Murder shit in fun ways. Then move on. Repeat.'
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: November 25, 2013, 05:52:33 pm »

I want more of these as well.  Painkiller is ok, and Serious Sam is a little better... but nothing has really come close to matching the combat style and atmosphere of Doom.  I also don't think any other arena-style FPS has matched the dynamic level design and freedom of movement in Quake 1 deathmatch, including any of the Quake sequels.

I will fight anybody who talks smack about Quake 3. :P

Although I've played both Quake 1 and 2 recently and found them to be not-as-amazing as I remember them, so maybe I'll discover the same about Quake 3 when I get around to playing it again.

I've seen a couple Christian-themed FPS games but they sucked. No doubt simply lack of talent in the maker; I'm sure there's not something inherently lame about the subject matter. Plenty of D&D tropes come straight from various religious texts.

I think the problem is that games just try to simplify the issue, either like Diablo and Doom have done (using a bunch of religious terms like 'angels' and 'demons' while leaving out any actual substance) or like most religious videogames do (sugarcoating everything). There are plenty of good stories to be told, and possibly games to be made from both the factual history and the mythology of actual world religions. Provided it were completely respectful and mostly accurate, I'd love to play a videogame about the early history of Islam inb4 people suggest "Making of a Prophet".
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: November 25, 2013, 06:00:37 pm »

I think the problem is that games just try to simplify the issue, either like Diablo and Doom have done (using a bunch of religious terms like 'angels' and 'demons' while leaving out any actual substance) or like most religious videogames do (sugarcoating everything). There are plenty of good stories to be told, and possibly games to be made from both the factual history and the mythology of actual world religions. Provided it were completely respectful and mostly accurate, I'd love to play a videogame about the early history of Islam inb4 people suggest "Making of a Prophet".

Respectful is the problem. Let's say your game includes everything in a religion. There are bound to be some things that this faction or that faction will say don't belong or that you've misinterpreted. But let's say you make a game about how just the most-populous faction views their religion. But you're going to include a whole lot of stuff that isn't the greatest: the textbook stance on the role of women in society, slavery, sexuality, how people of other religions should be treated, etc. There's a lot to be embarrassed about in any religion I've ever learned about.

Plus, and this is not conjecture but backed up by recent history, if people in a religion don't like what you wrote they might murder the author. Or at least stand outside his house screaming and make him feel like he's going to be killed if he leaves.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: November 25, 2013, 06:27:36 pm »

Thing is that people get really touchy about religion. And I mean really touchy.

I don't think that you could have a well-publicised game that is blatantly about religion without people kicking off.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Man_Flayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: November 25, 2013, 08:31:49 pm »

A game where the player starts on a desolate and barren world, controlling a small and lonely squid like creature, who soon learns it has the power to create and revive life, but also the power to destroy it. The player would have to grow and evolve through a wide variety of events that happen at random throughout gameplay, culminating in the player controlling a fearsome space kracken wandering through the cosmos, and thats where the online play would come in. The players must decide there purpose in a vast and mysterious star system, entirely free to choose what they will do, and able to interact with planets on a minute level (including any sentient lifeforms upon its surface)

Pitched battles using individually controlled tentacles! Strange and exotic environments, and odd creatures to go with them! Go forth and claim the birthright of the children of the stars! Not to mention the permadeath option, leading to tense and exciting gameplay!

...well, shit. I need to learn how to code so I can make this game now.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: November 25, 2013, 08:43:47 pm »

I'd like to see a new FPS game that goes by 90's FPS conventions. Huge jumps, par times, open levels with no objective except "get to the exit", crazy powerful superweapons, etc.

If there ever will be such a thing as an indie FPS (excluding ones with a special twist like Superhot or Receiver), I imagine that they'd follow this sort of formula.
Have you tried Painkiller, by any chance? It may be something like what you're looking for.

Yah, Painkiller and Serious Sam 1 and 2 are the ones most like that of the top of my head. The Rise of the Triad remake is supposed to be similar to the original but I haven't played it.

The RoTT remake is so much like the original honestly that I could play them back to back and not get any skill or feel related problems. It's vey 90s fps besides some slight changes in flow.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: November 25, 2013, 09:10:00 pm »

On the topic of religion, I think that a first person shooter/slasher game loosely based on hierarchies of angels and demons would be really cool. There's some weird stuff.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: November 25, 2013, 09:13:57 pm »

The RoTT remake is so much like the original honestly that I could play them back to back and not get any skill or feel related problems. It's vey 90s fps besides some slight changes in flow.

Do you enjoy it, Janet? :)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: November 25, 2013, 09:32:29 pm »

An early 19th century crime game, like GTA but somewhere in between 1793-1850. You could play as either a criminal or a detective. The setting is in continental Europe.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #3373 on: November 25, 2013, 09:37:48 pm »

I want... in essence, A 3d version of Powdertoy but in a Massive scale, YOu start with, in essence One Tiny particle, your goal is just to mess around with it, Wanna make it huge? Well, you gotta fling stuff at it.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: November 26, 2013, 01:09:26 am »

FTL + SS13. Players are split into crews of two to three and put on their own ships, then left to warp around the sector and hope to run into each other. The Captain will need some of the strategizing of FTL, while the crew will require the monkeying about and nonstop shenanigans of SS13.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 577