Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 914523 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3435 on: December 09, 2013, 05:12:26 pm »

I'm sort of interested in someone taking the "flashback" aspect of storytelling and do something better than "THIS IS THE END OF THE GAME PLAY IT TO FIND OUT WHY."

Imagine a game where you start off in some kind of interrogation room. You recount your story, as well as exploring increasingly fucked-up maps between story missions to reflect the mind-altering drugs in your system.

MASON!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: December 09, 2013, 07:37:09 pm »

I'm sort of interested in someone taking the "flashback" aspect of storytelling and do something better than "THIS IS THE END OF THE GAME PLAY IT TO FIND OUT WHY."

Imagine a game where you start off in some kind of interrogation room. You recount your story, as well as exploring increasingly fucked-up maps between story missions to reflect the mind-altering drugs in your system.

So you want what you don't want?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: December 09, 2013, 08:01:36 pm »

What about a game where your answers to the interrogator create the events of the story? You say "The CIA sent me to Istanbul to receive a package from a local UNESCO operative" which sets up the theater, MacGuffin, and the protagonist and contact. Then you say "I was driving" from a list like "I was in a cafe", "I was throwing up behind a tavern", etc. which sets up where the encounter will occur. There's a lot of choices throughout the story, some of which affect earlier stuff.

After you answer the questions, the interrogator says "I'm going to need some more details" and you play through the flashback.

Your performance in the flashback determines what the interrogator does - believes your story or tortures.

Then you get another interrogation sequence where you set up the next flashback action sequence.

The difficulty would be selected by choosing obviously easier action sequences. Some define what weapons you have, for example, if you're at a fancy party you won't have any guns but may have spy gadgets. If you're not good at driving maybe you avoid adding those parts to your story.

And there's opportunity for multiple play-throughs because you want to play through all the different flashbacks.

In the end the game is actually about an innocent guy who is being interrogated. He never did these things, but he knows his interrogators won't accept "I'm just some guy" as an answer. Eventually he got tortured enough that he just started making stuff up to appease them, as is the reality with torture / "enhanced interrogation".
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Kastrol Aslaasri

• Bay Watcher
  • Endut! Hoch Hech!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: December 09, 2013, 08:54:58 pm »

A videogame of Mordheim, with random scenarios, multiplayer, hot seat, customizable warband.... I don't care the graphics, don't even mind ASCII.... c'mon Games Workshop!
She was also sad that her father's corpse was rotting in his bedroom, but that's a minor inconvenience.
I love this game so much.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: December 09, 2013, 11:25:58 pm »

A 2D open-world superhero simulator/platformer. You have a handful of signals in different areas of town that warn you about crimes going on in the city, but they don't cover the entire town so you have to patrol the "bad areas" and stop crimes like bank robberies, hostage situations, bomb threats, and kidnappings. If too many civilians die, a state of emergency is declared and giant police robots start coming in and leveling the place, so you have to deal with them on top of criminals. If the town survives long enough, supervillains will emerge and start causing huge amounts of trouble. Your only goal is to keep the city standing for as long as possible.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: December 10, 2013, 04:02:56 pm »

So you want what you don't want?

Admittedly, I was pretty tired when I wrote that, so allow me to expand.

I don't think the flashbacks are bad, they aren't being used to their fullest. Allow story missions to tell the actual story, and be branch-able, and depending on what you do under the effects of the drugs, other options present themselves. An acid trip forest may be populated with a bunch of rabbit things- you'd realize that you can ignore them, attack them, or interact with them. Depending on what you do, playing the next Story mission might have a vaguely similar component- often one you don't realize until after your choice. In the next mission, you've got to chase an enemy unit, and have three options of path. One is through a populated but wide interstate exit, one is over rooftops, and one is around the city. Attack some of the rabbits, get the dangerous and likely damaging interstate exit where caution is thrown to the wind in favor of a speedy chase, interact with them and get the choice of rooftops, which dosen't carry the chance of injuring civilians but affects them, and going around is the path of ignorance. Each affects the story branch, sometimes actively, sometimes passively: going around splits to a branch where the enemy escapes, immediately forcing a new branch, the other two result in the same path but the interstate exit adds to an aggressiveness value that might unlock something later. Endings change more than just an animation, but affects everything between what your captors do to you to the outcome of the entire war.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: December 10, 2013, 04:13:15 pm »

I want a shooter game, WAIT!!! Hear me out, that is set in space. Now I know there are a lot, but I don't mean just in a space ship, but in space. The multiplayer would have standard deathmatch/team deathmatch/capture the flag gamemodes but there would be no gravity. Instead, players would use their jetpacks to move around and the recoil from their guns (it pushes back not up). While the jet pack would help getting around normally, using the guns would send you speeding in the opposite direction which could be used for quick escapes. Also, you can't just change your direction. You maintain your momentum due to a lack of any opposing force and use either your jetpack or your gun to counteract your motion.
There would also be floating obstacles to manouver around.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: December 10, 2013, 04:36:46 pm »

I want a shooter game, WAIT!!! Hear me out, that is set in space. Now I know there are a lot, but I don't mean just in a space ship, but in space. The multiplayer would have standard deathmatch/team deathmatch/capture the flag gamemodes but there would be no gravity. Instead, players would use their jetpacks to move around and the recoil from their guns (it pushes back not up). While the jet pack would help getting around normally, using the guns would send you speeding in the opposite direction which could be used for quick escapes. Also, you can't just change your direction. You maintain your momentum due to a lack of any opposing force and use either your jetpack or your gun to counteract your motion.
Even better, a shooter set in intergalactic space, so you end up using microgravity for fun reasons rather than having the differences in acceleration being negligible.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: December 10, 2013, 05:24:11 pm »

I was actually planning on posting about something like this.  My idea was that it'd be something like the battle room from Enders Game, where you have lethal and non-lethal modes.  In non-lethal mode it would be basically exactly like Enders Game, where ou have the ability to user parts of your body as a shield and use things like formations.  Lethal mode wouldn't allow that option, and being hit would be a guaranteed kill, but you would have a small amount of time to fire back before you die.  You could have a while range of weapons.  Automatic ballistic weapons would be completely useless, unless you are set at a stationary position.   Semi-automatic and burst weapons would be very deadly, but you would only have one shot before you have to readjust your aim and position.  Lasers wouldn't change your momentum at all, and would be accurate, but would require careful aim to be affective, and would lose effectiveness against moving targets.   Another way to add to the modes would be how jetpacks are handled.  The easiest mode would be unlimited jetpack fuel, where you don't have to really worry about recoil and momentum.  The second mode would be limited fuel, where you'd have enough for a few jumps or corrections, but you wouldn't be relying on it.  The last mode would be the hardest, where you don't have one at all.  You might have something such as rope, which could be used to prevent yourself from heading out too far.  But normally that would only be somethign you'd use if you were on the defensive.  If you are attacking, and don't watch where you are shooting?  You go drifting off towards the enemy base.  Or you might become a slow moving target, ripe for the picking.   Death wouldn't be treated likely and you'd at most get a few respawns.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: December 10, 2013, 06:35:10 pm »

A PvP game where the object is kinda-sorta survival, kinda-sorta Battle Royale, mix in equal parts Starbound.

Players start anywhere from "far" to "really fucking far" away from each other. They should generally start by taking natural resources and upgrading from basic armor and swords, to technical armor and guns, etc. before trying to cash in on another player's Ticket.

Tickets are how you get into the world- you're given one, but you cannot use it on your own. You must take it from another player- using it kills the player it's attached to unless they're already dead, and spawns equipment based on the player it was tied to and their tech levels. If a player dies by natural monsters (which start weak, get stronger over time), they respawn but lose... something. Not sure yet.

The fast approach, of course, works. Immediately trek across the world with minimal equipment, steal everything from another player when they're away and head back. You jump tech levels, possibly cause the enemy to fall in tech. You could also build a giant fort and wait for other players to come. You don't know what will happen, you don't know when. You can only communicate with other players when in talking range, or by building various communication devices. With higher tech, you'll eventually be able to do things such as build an automatic drone, load it with an item, and send it to another player as a peace offering. Maybe you could send them a bomb instead. Things like signal locks keep all but the craftiest players out of things- but, they can't easily be used for chests because they only work once. Maybe two players will trade after communicating, sealing the box until the other player confirms they have the box, then mutually unlocking each other's box... unless it's a bomb.

Trust no one, however, as the player who claims all other player's tickets is the winner- they ascend into godhood, and gain a Point of Influence. A player may then equip one, up to three Points of Influence, that change the way the world generates. A player might have the "Larger Deserts" point of influence. Assuming this point goes un-countered, deserts are larger in the resulting game world than usual. Points of Influence generally aren't that powerful, they simply allow players to push for certain things they may like. There aren't any points such as "More Ores" or other powergaming things, however, "Larger Deserts" could make a type of ore more common.

Custom games allow you to do silly things, such as create a biome of nothing but valuable ores, and then make it the only biome.

Everything has at least some element of randomization. Sometimes, an ore will be Exceptional, and smelting it results in double returns. Crafted weapons may be of poor quality or high quality, have unexpected effects, etc.

There are often multiple ways to craft something. To craft a handgun, I might have a fairly simple process that takes little time, it's easier to have poor qualities than good ones, effects are rare, and there's little control over what I actually get. A Gunsmith allows me to craft parts for the gun then make the actual gun, allowing me much more control over the model of gun, as well as increasing chance to get better quality and special effects. This requires more machining and time, and a little more material, but requires less luck to get a good item.
---
One player winds up building a large wooden castle near the beginning. Setting up traps early, they then build a tech center underground, and get to radio communication and guns fairly early. No one nearby has really messed with him yet. Upon making his first rifle, he goes for an AK mold in the Advanced Gunsmith (gunsmith with more control). He winds up with a very good weapon, an AK with extended magazines and a small chance to do extra Fire damage. As soon as he's made it, a warning signal flares up...

Another player started underground, building deep into the earth, lacking in tech at first before beginning to craft high level items other than pickaxes and tools. He's well off, as while a marauder passed, they did not notice his base. Before anyone else, he was nearing Futuretech.

Strapping into his armor, with a backpack with huge rotors allowing flight, grabbing his gauss rifle and monoatomic razor. He's been picking up radio signals being sent out from the other player's base, and rather than respond, he's been homing in on it. With exact coordinates, he sends his two drones laden with explosives to the coordinates before heading out himself to take his first ticket.

---

Player 1 is completely unready. The bullets are doing a surprising amount of damage to the hightech player, but even though he had a much better fight (dodging many shots, for instance) he was still doomed in the face of such high level tech. After taking a hit from the gauss rifle one too many times, his ticket fell to the ground as his soul returned to the nexus.

The other player claimed it, and got equipment that was mostly inferior to his own. He'd feed it through the Magic Rewriter later to fool the ticket into matching his tech level. Maxing offensive tech first had it's benefits. The drones showed up while he gloated, and left craters and smoldering wood where a castle once stood. Setting the drones to patrol the area, the high-tech player leaves to return to his base and claim the ticket.

While he was away, the marauder returning empty-handed stumbled into his base. An expierenced player, he managed to avoid most traps, and dug around the mechanical guardians. Stealing and destroying a good amount of equipment, he was just escaping as the player came back. The tech player, knowing no better, simply fired at the thief without thinking much of it, assuming his base had not been found.

And such it is with power struggles.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: December 10, 2013, 07:01:40 pm »

Tsu: I love that the winner gets to decide the features of the next round. Maybe, like the way to slice a cake in equal halves (one child gets to slice, but the other child picks his piece first), the top 3 winners get to pick the terrain features and then everyone picks starting locations from the worst player upward. This way the winner gets to play in the arena he wants, but he won't get the best start.

The top 4 players could pick terrain features in order, for example:

Elevation (Flat, Hills, Mountains)
Moisture (Desert, Normal, Monsoon)
Temperature (Arctic, Temperate, Tropical)
Biosphere (Barren, Normal, Fecund)

So depending on what the 4 players chose in succession, you could end up with a dry arctic mountain map or a rainy jungle floor.

//

Players could have perks or equipment that lets them select a better starting site by giving more information. For example, it might show ore concentrations or ancient ruins. But by choosing that perk or equipment, he's missing out on some other thing - such as resource gathering, tech research speed, materials processing, physical abilities, etc.

Could do deathmatch maps, team maps, and set the round length based on number of participants and size of the arena.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: December 10, 2013, 07:29:38 pm »

I was actually planning on posting about something like this.  My idea was that it'd be something like the battle room from Enders Game, where you have lethal and non-lethal modes.  In non-lethal mode it would be basically exactly like Enders Game, where ou have the ability to user parts of your body as a shield and use things like formations.  Lethal mode wouldn't allow that option, and being hit would be a guaranteed kill, but you would have a small amount of time to fire back before you die.  You could have a while range of weapons.  Automatic ballistic weapons would be completely useless, unless you are set at a stationary position.   Semi-automatic and burst weapons would be very deadly, but you would only have one shot before you have to readjust your aim and position.  Lasers wouldn't change your momentum at all, and would be accurate, but would require careful aim to be affective, and would lose effectiveness against moving targets.   Another way to add to the modes would be how jetpacks are handled.  The easiest mode would be unlimited jetpack fuel, where you don't have to really worry about recoil and momentum.  The second mode would be limited fuel, where you'd have enough for a few jumps or corrections, but you wouldn't be relying on it.  The last mode would be the hardest, where you don't have one at all.  You might have something such as rope, which could be used to prevent yourself from heading out too far.  But normally that would only be somethign you'd use if you were on the defensive.  If you are attacking, and don't watch where you are shooting?  You go drifting off towards the enemy base.  Or you might become a slow moving target, ripe for the picking.   Death wouldn't be treated likely and you'd at most get a few respawns.   
Dammit, I suggested the same thing on this thread and no one paid attention :P
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: December 10, 2013, 08:19:04 pm »

What about a game where your answers to the interrogator create the events of the story? You say "The CIA sent me to Istanbul to receive a package from a local UNESCO operative" which sets up the theater, MacGuffin, and the protagonist and contact. Then you say "I was driving" from a list like "I was in a cafe", "I was throwing up behind a tavern", etc. which sets up where the encounter will occur. There's a lot of choices throughout the story, some of which affect earlier stuff.

After you answer the questions, the interrogator says "I'm going to need some more details" and you play through the flashback.

Your performance in the flashback determines what the interrogator does - believes your story or tortures.

Then you get another interrogation sequence where you set up the next flashback action sequence.

The difficulty would be selected by choosing obviously easier action sequences. Some define what weapons you have, for example, if you're at a fancy party you won't have any guns but may have spy gadgets. If you're not good at driving maybe you avoid adding those parts to your story.

And there's opportunity for multiple play-throughs because you want to play through all the different flashbacks.

In the end the game is actually about an innocent guy who is being interrogated. He never did these things, but he knows his interrogators won't accept "I'm just some guy" as an answer. Eventually he got tortured enough that he just started making stuff up to appease them, as is the reality with torture / "enhanced interrogation".

I would absolutely love a game like this! Mind you, more especially one set in a intergalactic scifi setting, but even a 'modern' version would be awesome.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: December 10, 2013, 08:21:33 pm »

That would great for an interactive faction game, like a CYOA or a text adventure.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: December 11, 2013, 08:23:24 am »

None. Then the society, students, school kids etc would be so much more productive and healthy.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 577