Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 914858 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3690 on: March 05, 2014, 03:52:56 pm »

Slavic is still fairly European.

A full-on Middle-Eastern fantasy would be kind of cool, because Arabic mythology provides a couple non-human races that would be easily playable (Ifrits, for one). The Pacific Northwest and the Black Hills have mythologies and lifestyles that would make for an interesting game, too.

It shouldn't be about it being European, actually, just not the ISO Standard European Fantasy setting. Even Middle-Eastern-flavored settings are more rooted in the perceptions of Europeans thereof.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: March 05, 2014, 03:54:36 pm »

And since no one believes in pre-Christian Slavic religions anymore, there's no one to offend!
Heh, you are wrong. I know quite a lot of guys who call themselves neopagans and worship Perun and others

Speaking about mythology related game. I would love a game based on Greek or Nordic mythology where you play as a god and participate in all that intrigues among the gods

Huh, I figured Euopean Neopaganism was mostly limited to Germanic and Celtic.

The more you know.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: March 05, 2014, 06:10:51 pm »

An RPG not based on European culture. I want to fight a Chinese lóng, not an European dragon, or Quetzalcoatl or something.
There's so much potential in world cultures for so many games and yet we seem to be strictly limiting ourselves to European (at best Middle Eastern)-esque fantasy.

And for that matter, a game based on Slavic folklore. Stuff like fern flowers, vilas, vodyanoys etc.
I want a RPG based on Canadian folklore and such. Like the...Windago, I think it was called. Basically, one of the many stories of them is that they can possess people, and they essentially become hyper-evil/powerful warrior-monsters.

Up in Canada, we ACTUALLY HAD Windago trials. Like a witch trial.
Seriously.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: March 05, 2014, 06:13:28 pm »

I know close to nothing about Native American mythology and would love to see a game that incorporated pieces of it. Or a game that drew from the not-so-nice parts of Christian lore- you almost never see that, unless it's for the sake of including demons as an enemy or Hell as a location.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: March 05, 2014, 06:14:53 pm »

I know close to nothing about Native American mythology and would love to see a game that incorporated pieces of it. Or a game that drew from the not-so-nice parts of Christian lore- you almost never see that, unless it's for the sake of including demons as an enemy or Hell as a location.
Binding of Isaac did a great job of that, showing the dark, messed up bit of Christianity.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: March 05, 2014, 06:15:12 pm »

"So if I'm a Windago, don't you think I would have possessed the bailiff and had him shoot the judge? If I have super strength, why am I still wearing handcuffs? You're not all afraid that I'm a lot better than all of you, you're just irritated that I'm a little bit better than any of you."
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: March 05, 2014, 06:18:14 pm »

"So if I'm a Windago, don't you think I would have possessed the bailiff and had him shoot the judge? If I have super strength, why am I still wearing handcuffs? You're not all afraid that I'm a lot better than all of you, you're just irritated that I'm a little bit better than any of you."
Remember. This was when 'rights' Was non-existent, and I'm pretty sure we were still called BNA. (British North America.)
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: March 05, 2014, 06:22:13 pm »

Must have been when people were dumbasses too. I would have thought you'd need to have a basic level of intelligence to build a ship and sail it halfway across the world.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: March 05, 2014, 06:35:36 pm »

Well, I'd consider the Lakota or the whole of the Pacific Northwest peoples as some of the best sources for games stuff. The Lakota because they have some awesome monsters in their mythology (A fire-eyed shadow serpent with scales of mica whose gaze drives you mad/kills you, anyone?), and the Pacific Northwest could have great fun with canoeing, or dual-world gameplay of the surface and under the sea, where orcas and dolphins and porpoises take on human form.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: March 05, 2014, 06:46:27 pm »

Well, I'd consider the Lakota or the whole of the Pacific Northwest peoples as some of the best sources for games stuff. The Lakota because they have some awesome monsters in their mythology (A fire-eyed shadow serpent with scales of mica whose gaze drives you mad/kills you, anyone?), and the Pacific Northwest could have great fun with canoeing, or dual-world gameplay of the surface and under the sea, where orcas and dolphins and porpoises take on human form.
The Pacific Northwest peoples also have some awesome art. And the geographic area is a good setting regardless of the culture.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: March 05, 2014, 06:47:38 pm »

An RPG not based on European culture. I want to fight a Chinese lóng, not an European dragon, or Quetzalcoatl or something.
There's so much potential in world cultures for so many games and yet we seem to be strictly limiting ourselves to European (at best Middle Eastern)-esque fantasy.

And for that matter, a game based on Slavic folklore. Stuff like fern flowers, vilas, vodyanoys etc.
I want a RPG based on Canadian folklore and such. Like the...Windago, I think it was called. Basically, one of the many stories of them is that they can possess people, and they essentially become hyper-evil/powerful warrior-monsters.

Seriously.
The Wendigo is also the result of what happens to cannibals. They supposedly turn into man eating monsters, associated with powers of cold, winter, and famine, and one of the ways they are described physically is with grey skin, an emaciated appearance, with no lips and no toes. Another pretty scary thing about them is that when they eat someone, they become larger. The thing is, this means that they get a larger stomach whenever they eat, so they are always starving.

This would be awesome, in either an RPG or a horror game.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: March 05, 2014, 06:49:19 pm »

Shadowrun kinda tried doing some stuff with totemic shamans, but then used monsters from all over instead of specifically PNW, and also it seems like their treatment of shamans is probably way off. Possibly some sacrifices made for gameplay.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: March 05, 2014, 07:12:18 pm »

Seriously.
The Wendigo is also the result of what happens to cannibals. They supposedly turn into man eating monsters, associated with powers of cold, winter, and famine, and one of the ways they are described physically is with grey skin, an emaciated appearance, with no lips and no toes. Another pretty scary thing about them is that when they eat someone, they become larger. The thing is, this means that they get a larger stomach whenever they eat, so they are always starving.

This would be awesome, in either an RPG or a horror game.

Both. And you are one.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: March 05, 2014, 07:22:34 pm »

The thing about Wendigos, is they often get conflated with Werewolves.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: March 05, 2014, 09:47:00 pm »

I want a super-serious RAH RAH MANLY military shooter. Then the second level opens with a paratrooper drop set to It's Raining Men by The Weather Girls, and the entire rest of the game is crazy action movie shenanigans set to 80's and 90's pop music.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 577