Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 915438 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5175 on: April 12, 2015, 04:31:28 pm »

Foreword: So this started off as a more general thing but then I figured that the Half-Life universe is actually a perfect place to set the concept so I guess I'll just pretend it is because games set in that universe outside the core Half-Life games would be nice.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Probably some other stuff too but to be honest I kind of don't care too much about specifics. Really I just want a game with a reasonable portrayal of rebellion against a force that would be superior in a direct confrontation, and also a non-FPS game set in the Half-Life universe.
I actually think the whole asymmetric turn based warfare would make a really great boardgame.  One player is occupiers, everyone else plays different resistance factions, one player takes all.  Or maybe resistance factions partially work together, either way.

You could probably manage something close with the basic Risk boardgame, although it would be better suited as a kind modification with clearly defined rules.
Risk cannot really simulate assymetrical warfare to my knowledge.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: April 12, 2015, 05:34:41 pm »

You'd certainly have to bend the box rules, but it could be managed under house rules, with some foresight. You have one player with many troops in each region (more than the default max), and then the other players are scattered and have only a couple troops... but they can work together to brute force a region directly, or have cards or other bonuses that let them destabilize a region and either eliminate the oppressor's troops with small effort or even turn them to their side, and probably move units around the map without needing to own the regions.

The underplayers having secret win objectives is also a nice idea, since the rebels wouldn't necessarily be interested in global domination themselves.

It would definitely be more favorable to design the underplayer mechanics from the ground up rather than jury-rigging it into an established game.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: April 12, 2015, 07:21:01 pm »

It could work with a scaled-up Diplomacy map (covering a country or region in detail rather than all of Europe).  Basically, the map is divided into territories, each of which can hold one army or navy.  Each army or navy is identical in strength, and you must support attacks and defences from neighbouring territories to try to dislodge (force into retreat) enemy units.  Roughly a third of the territories hold a Supply Center, which when captured by a player allows you to support one unit.  The players all see the map and can talk freely, but orders are secret and simultaneous; you win by controlling over half of all supply centres.

With a few changes - eliminating armies and navies in favor of one unit type representing simply the ability to project from an area, different win conditions for different groups (some want to control a holy/national city, some want to hurt the occcupier, the occupier wants to hold certain objectives),  a custom map - that would work great.  The beauty is that the asymmetry would come simply from the map design - the occupier starts with a better position, with a very dense SC zone along a coast or something, representing strategic ports - and abstract out all the details without losing realism or balance.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: April 12, 2015, 08:46:39 pm »

This is more a mod I wish existed...
A total conversion mod of Doom (Preferably with Brutal Doom added too) that recreates Hotline Miami 1 and 2, down to the graphics style.
I would love to see how the game plays in a first person mode.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:48:51 pm by Fniff »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: April 12, 2015, 08:58:18 pm »

A total conversion mod of Doom (Preferably with Brutal Doom added too) that recreates Hotline Miami 1 and 2, down to the graphics style.

Similarly, Doom levels in Hotline Miami would also be cool
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: April 12, 2015, 09:01:13 pm »

Also, I wish there was a sequel to Dungeons of Dredmor. Preferably one where you controlled multiple characters and the order of the level themes wasn't fixed; but otherwise more or less the same.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: April 12, 2015, 09:32:04 pm »

I can see the cover now...
Jacket and the Marine standing back to back. Russian mobsters are charging at the Marine on one side, and the demons of hell are charging at Jacket on the other side. Both have shotguns.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: April 13, 2015, 11:35:58 am »

Games you wish existed

Aurora 4x with 3d engine capable of displaying hundreds of ships and VAST distances of cosmos, thousands of missiles, beams etc. Preferably Nexus Jupiter Incident like....

That would be the "game to end all games" for me..
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: April 13, 2015, 01:35:08 pm »

Games you wish existed

Aurora 4x with 3d engine capable of displaying hundreds of ships and VAST distances of cosmos, thousands of missiles, beams etc. Preferably Nexus Jupiter Incident like....

That would be the "game to end all games" for me..

Hell ya! Can we customize the look of the ships???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: April 15, 2015, 12:23:22 pm »

Hell ya! Can we customize the look of the ships???

Of course.
Imagine flexible graphics engine that actually morphs ships depending on the included parts, weapons etc ...

Plus of course moddability, ability to apply custom paint jobs, visible fleet/racial emblems, tactical numbers etc.

God, that would be fucking awesome.
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: April 15, 2015, 05:22:25 pm »

I can see the cover now...
Jacket and the Marine standing back to back. Russian mobsters are charging at the Marine on one side, and the demons of hell are charging at Jacket on the other side. Both have shotguns.

Have you played Action Doom (the original)? 1 hit KO's. Very tough.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: April 20, 2015, 11:17:40 am »

Quake III esque arena FPS based almost entirely around rockets.

Everyone has a rocket launcher that can kill with about 3 average splash hits.  Direct hits do double damage.  Players also have a shield they can parry with, if they can time it.  Parried rockets are redirected where the shielder is looking.  Parried rockets move a bit faster and are more powerful.

Maps have a vertical focus.  Navigation by rocket jump is encouraged.  Health, armor, and ammo is stashed away in various parts of the map, no regenerating health.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: April 21, 2015, 01:42:24 am »

I'd like to see Chaos Overlords 2 actually get completed, instead of remaining vaporware forever
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5188 on: April 21, 2015, 01:57:39 am »

Everyone has a rocket launcher that can kill with about 3 average splash hits.  Direct hits do double damage.  Players also have a shield they can parry with, if they can time it.  Parried rockets are redirected where the shielder is looking.  Parried rockets move a bit faster and are more powerful.

Maps have a vertical focus.  Navigation by rocket jump is encouraged.  Health, armor, and ammo is stashed away in various parts of the map, no regenerating health.

I'd give a hit or two more damage, but I'd add lots of hazards around the maps. Knockback can really help...

Other than that I'm totally on board, it sounds awesome.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: April 21, 2015, 02:26:41 am »

So what you want is a TF2 mod that adds the airblast onto a soldier's rocket launcher, and changes a bunch of soldier's stats.

That's a pretty attainable goal.  I think you could do it with console commands, hell if I know how though.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 577