Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 914952 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2011, 04:07:47 pm »

Right now we're stuck with mindless games that are basically Skinner boxes that really just focus on entertaining the audience. I want to see more games that tell stories in a compelling, interactive way, which is what video games should be about.

Sorry but genuin games not only take more effort but they also have a chance to fail. So we companies won't listen to you.

We will instead make our guarenteed hit "we made it a thousand times before dinner" games.

That, right there, is the problem.  No one is willing to explore anything that "might have a 3% chance of failure."  The industry is so huge that all they do is reskin past successes and remarket them (that's a bit of an exaggeration).  But that's his point: games SHOULD be more radical but they AREN'T because it's such a (perceived) RISK.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2011, 04:11:43 pm »

Something that totally siulates the power of a god. Making planets, galaxies, down to editing the genetic structure of people and animals, down to changing that lead into gold to make that blacksmith rich and happy, only to pain him by killing his wife in a lava flow... Aaahhh

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2011, 04:12:20 pm »

An RTS of Dead Space 2 where you control the Necromorphs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2011, 04:12:47 pm »

Right now we're stuck with mindless games that are basically Skinner boxes that really just focus on entertaining the audience. I want to see more games that tell stories in a compelling, interactive way, which is what video games should be about.

Sorry but genuin games not only take more effort but they also have a chance to fail. So we companies won't listen to you.

We will instead make our guarenteed hit "we made it a thousand times before dinner" games.

That, right there, is the problem.  No one is willing to explore anything that "might have a 3% chance of failure."  The industry is so huge that all they do is reskin past successes and remarket them (that's a bit of an exaggeration).  But that's his point: games SHOULD be more radical but they AREN'T because it's such a (perceived) RISK.

Thank goodness for Indy developers!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2011, 04:13:29 pm »

You can always try exploring other regional markets too. For example, Pathologic (a very good game that I highly recommend, the RPS quote itself comes from a Pathologic article) was a bestseller in Russia, winning mounds of awards, but barely got off in the U.S.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2011, 04:17:23 pm »

You can always try exploring other regional markets too. For example, Pathologic (a very good game that I highly recommend, the RPS quote itself comes from a Pathologic article) was a bestseller in Russia, winning mounds of awards, but barely got off in the U.S.

I started the B12 thread on Pathologic.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2011, 04:29:45 pm »

I've got quite a few wishes but at the moment, I'm craving for a co-op zombie apocalypse top down survival game.
It'd be in real time and there's a crafting system that allows you to create make-shift weapons and barricades or allows you to cook a meal so that you don't starve to death. Well, basically what I want is a co-op cataclysm that plays in real time and is Fun :)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2011, 04:57:08 pm »

I'd settle for Lego Rock Raiders 2.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2011, 05:36:22 pm »

I've always wanted to play a game where you start out as a soldier on the front lines, but as you move up ranks throughout the game it turns more into a strategy as you start to command squads, then companies, and ending with you general of the military. I've seen plenty of blends between strategy and FPS, but none quite like this.
Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis has you start as a Corporal, but quickly get promoted to Lieutenant and command your own squad. I'd think it would be unfeasable to promote to General, since that takes decades of dedication in real life.

Oooh a New RPGmaker game with ALL the trimmings.

Unfortunately most RPGmakers skimp out on several features.

The closest to the BEST RPGmaker I saw without heavy modding was for the PS2... but it had a devistating problem... Limited NPC space.
RPGToolkit. I don't know what you mean by "ALL the trimmings", since it's not something that will make your game for you, but it is extraordinarily powerful as a tool.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2011, 05:51:20 pm »

All the Trimmings such as

Character pictures inside chat bars, character selection screen, and characters on screen.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2011, 06:17:15 pm »

A pokemon world that made sense, or even just featured a serious try at some kind of non-weed-and-acid-trip culture and economy.   You know, ways to make money besides assaulting/being assaulted by random strangers!  Laws! People who aren't obviously robots in disguise!  A culture - any culture!   That kind of thing.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2011, 06:22:38 pm »

All the Trimmings such as

Character pictures inside chat bars, character selection screen, and characters on screen.
Generally, you'd have to code that stuff in by yourself, although it's very possible to do so.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2011, 06:24:08 pm »

An Isometric strategy rpg with great story line and a literal crapton of playable races mutations and unlimited customization .( Ranging from a Lizard Man Hobo that can breath poison to A laser shooting Robot with Cat ears.
- Almost everything is recruitable
-You want a priest dualwielding AK-47, you betcha
- Multiple endings
- Sprawling Maps with different ecosystems( So you can be entertained wile grinding, leveling that priest is a little funnier when you are also watching zombie bears chase down somewhat randomly generated group of third party units)
- Optional Base Building for the classes that can do it.(Think  Makai Kingdom)
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2011, 06:27:58 pm »

An isometric strategy rpg ala final fantasy tacticals with dungeon crawl tier customization would be pretty sweet.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2011, 06:35:45 pm »

An isometric strategy rpg ala final fantasy tacticals with dungeon crawl tier customization would be pretty sweet.

I want an isometic roguelike that is more Dungeon Crawl, less Dungeons of Dredmor.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 577