Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 905164 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #7740 on: January 07, 2018, 07:13:07 pm »

a true Monster People Catching and Breeding RPG. Cloud Meadow seems cool and all but i liked Breeding Season more. barring the whole adult stuff (and the final fiasco regarding the project management) the game was touching an untapped territory that should be further exploited.

so yeah, a semi RPG adventure where the main character can catch or befriend semi-humanoid monsters either for their combat party, as slaves for the black market, livestock/workers for your farm, or even as lifepartners. both the player and the monsters contain the same stats like strength, intelligence, etc.. which can be improved by training as time goes on.

travelling around the world map opens field to discover new species that can be catalogued for the respective faction. you could gain some favours by releasing, giving or selling monsters depending on the faction. which could open new parts of gameplay like ubertraining or genetical modification, im not sure.

depending on the species certain monsters could have different subspecies or variations along with traits which could further define their use for different activities (not only adult stuff).

and yeah, that's the latest idea i've had about wished games. i blame Monster Musume if anything.

I kind of want to make something like this now. It doesn't seem too complicated, compared to a lot of other games out there. I might try to make something like this eventually.

i wouldnt count on that. we're talking about stuff like wild encounters, breeding, rpg stat systems and stuff like that. and of course, the art. i dont know how much time it takes for the creator of Pussymon to do designs on each episode (i've only played the halloween one, its getting into the spot slowly but as the name implies is more like playing Pokemon) but its obvious that it needs a lot of knowledge.

i could help with some tile spriting for a project like that. in fact, i was doing some artworks for that other monster catching project in colaboration with another user here at the forums but he has gone silent for some reason.

I'm willing to help out making any of the ideas in this thread if someone needs a decent programmer, I mainly do C++/OpenGL and C#/Unity3D

you could join on this too, im not saying im pretty active but its a start. i have some knowledge in terms of game design and worldbuilding. at least to produce something basic.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:17:04 pm by xaritscin »

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7741 on: January 08, 2018, 09:34:11 am »

Yeah, Isometic and turn based are pretty big.  Not into the whole FPS.  Fallout NV is very good and fun, but it is a different type and style of game that doesn't retain the feel of the orginals.  DLC's out doesn't help, perks seem more meh.  Aiming the mouse to shoot, etc.  Its not fallout 3 in any way other than the use of the IP.  Viewed independently it is the best game of the year, or close to it.

I like isometric RPGs too, and I'd love to see more of them (good on Obsidian for making new ones.)  But really, Fallout isn't a camera perspective, I am completely sure that if Obsidian had been given more than eighteen months to develop NV it would have been every bit as in-depth as FO1&2.  As it stands it is the continuation of the story that I and a whole hell of a lot of other people were hoping for, it IS Fallout 3 in all but name, and I really can't see how it can be viewed any other way.

There will be other huge sprawling isometric RPGs in the future, they have their niche and smart devs (mostly indie) are already competing to fill that niche.  We aren't going to get Fallout 3, or probably any future Fallout, in that format and that is okay, because we did get a true continuation of the series in NV.

In order to be actually contributing to the thread instead of derailing:

A survival RPG with extensive crafting, proc-gen dungeons, and evolutionary weapons and armor that change as you use and improve them.  I want my weapons to become better and more tuned to the way I use them, I want my armor to change it's attributes as it protects me and adjust to meet my mobility needs, and I want these changes to be visible on model.  I want to be able to exert some control over those changes through re-forging, augmenting, and altering.  As the game proceeds and difficulty rises I want to have to make decisions about how I want my equipment to be specialized and what weaknesses I am willing to accept when using those tools.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: January 08, 2018, 12:49:37 pm »

*Grinds skull into desk*

What part of "Original writers", Original developer team", and "Is LITERALLY the story they wrote for Fallout 3"  Are you having trouble with?

New Vegas is Fallout 3.  This is not debatable in any way shape or form, the head developers of the original two games have gone on record as saying that it is the Fallout 3 story they wanted to tell, the gameplay is different but gameplay does not a sequel make.  A sequel is a continuation of an extant storyline within a defined setting, that is EXACTLY what New Vegas is to Fallout 1&2.

You claiming that NV is not Fallout 3 is factually incorrect according to the only people who matter, the people who created the Fallout setting.  No game made within the last ten years is going to "feel" like games made a decade or more  before, the methods of giving players information have changed so massively that the old text-based systems are starting to grate on even long-time gamers like myself.  It's an FPRPG, and that isn't the way such games were made twenty years ago (well, some were, but it wasn't popular), but it was the only chance that the creators were ever going to get to make the game they had been wanting to make for over a decade.  I'd further argue that Fallout 2 doesn't exactly "feel" the same as Fallout did, the world was much more populated, there were far more locations, the story was far more obfuscated and required much more investigation than Fallout.  Using "feel" as an argument is pretty weak in this case, if you'd like to argue that it is very mechanically different and you don't like it that's fine, but your argument does not in any way change what the game is.

The camera perspective is not what makes a Fallout game, the gameplay mechanics is not what makes a Fallout game, being set in the Fallout setting is what makes a Fallout game, that is why the Bethesda games are not Fallout in any way shape or form, and NV IS.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:59:13 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: January 08, 2018, 02:32:13 pm »

the gameplay is different but gameplay does not a sequel make.  A sequel is a continuation of an extant storyline within a defined setting
To me, a sequel is a continuation of an experience. Gameplay influences the experience. Real-time is a big shift, it means you don't study the situation as much. First-person is a HUGE change for a wide range of reasons. As a shooter it is about observation and aim and reactions, which are completely different from the tactical game. The lack of overland travel massively changes the timescale... If you COMPLETELY disconnect gameplay and story then I could see how it would be a "perfect" sequel. Otherwise, the story changes because the storytelling changes, and that makes someone's complaint that it just wasn't a sequel to them legitimate. Imagine if you were reading a book series and watched a movie instead of a book for one of them. No matter how faithful the conversion is, you would still experience a disconnect...
You claiming that NV is not Fallout 3 is factually incorrect according to the only people who matter
The only person who matters is the one who is experiencing it. Or the people who hold the rights to the name "Fallout 3"... Honestly, who matters changes based upon the situation, and this situation is "does the consumer experience a sequel" and for that, only the consumer matters.
No game made within the last ten years is going to "feel" like games made a decade or more  before
Roguelikes.
Using "feel" as an argument is pretty weak in this case, if you'd like to argue that it is very mechanically different and you don't like it that's fine, but your argument does not in any way change what the game is.

The camera perspective is not what makes a Fallout game, the gameplay mechanics is not what makes a Fallout game, being set in the Fallout setting is what makes a Fallout game, that is why the Bethesda games are not Fallout in any way shape or form, and NV IS.
Bethesda feels wrong to you, but they own the licence. If they say that things have changed, then, officially, things have changed... You are arguing feel, just in reference to things other than gameplay, and "feel" isn't really what someone is complaining about when the subject has changed by multiple genres. If the story went from post-apocalyptic retro-futuristic heroic-labours to Historical-Masquerade Hard-Sci-Fi Bodice-Ripper but was otherwise completely faithful to the originals than I rather suspect that you would feel that more than feel had been affected and that it was unlikely to appeal to fans of the original, even if it then turned out that there were many people who liked the original and had loads of fun with the new themes in the original style and got frustrated at you for saying that you didn't feel that it was a proper sequel.

That you enjoy it as a sequel is good for you. You are welcome to that. Someone else just didn't get that sequel feeling, they are welcome to that too.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: January 08, 2018, 02:42:51 pm »

Historical-Masquerade Hard-Sci-Fi Bodice-Ripper
Okay, now I want that game.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: January 08, 2018, 05:16:00 pm »

A sequel is a continuation of an extant storyline within a defined setting
(Except for when it's a continuation of the gameplay ideas in a new or loosely related setting.)
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: January 08, 2018, 05:42:19 pm »

To me, a sequel is a continuation of an experience.
(Except for when it's a continuation of the gameplay ideas in a new or loosely related setting.)

Every literary definition of the word sequel ever would like to explain some things to you two.

I'm not begrudging anyone what they feel about the game, but I have seen no viable argument that it is not a sequel to the original Fallout games.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:55:46 pm by NullForceOmega »

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: January 08, 2018, 06:12:50 pm »

To me, a sequel is a continuation of an experience.

Every literary definition of the word sequel ever would like to explain some things to you two.
Except for episodic series. Like, the stories really have no continuation at all, it is the structure and the elements that are preserved... Discworld is a pretty decent example. Very successful, very famous, it more-or-less has an order and timeline, but people go through the series because of the nature of the storytelling, not following a specific journey. We are talking about a massive genre shift here. There are very few examples of a series that changed its genre or storyline significantly, so there is very little in the way of examples from literature that apply.

Of course, it ought to go without saying that works of literature have almost no relevance. They do not possess gameplay so they have no statements towards it. Literary works really don't have the scope to address the issue, it is better to compare a gameplay shift to a storytelling shift, like going from novels to short stories, ballads, theatre, opera, ballet... depending upon the specifics of the gameplay changes. If you are desperate to stick to literature, then genre might suffice as a loose example, but it is going to be woefully insufficient for actual comparisons.

So please, if they want to "explain some things to me" then bring them forth and have them speak. I am listening.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: January 08, 2018, 06:34:40 pm »

You know what, I really don't have the energy to continue this.  I view NV as an acceptable sequel to Fallout 1&2, the creators view it as the sequel, and as far as I'm concerned that is enough.

I only ever played the games for the interactive story, so a stupid camera perspective means nothing to me, and while I loved the turn based combat, it meant nothing to the Fallout universe (as no actual PNP game ever materialized from it, in spite of that being one of the original design concepts), so I can't feel any particular attachment to it.

That's all I've got left to say on the subject, so, whatever you guys think is fine by me now, this has been a complete waste of time.

But here's the bit about sequels, since you won't check for yourself: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sequel.  Here's a hint: It has a story, so the literary definition is in every single way applicable.  I'm not going to waste even more time on people trying to redefine a concept for their own benefit.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 06:41:53 pm by NullForceOmega »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: January 08, 2018, 06:43:30 pm »

It's legitimately endearing to me how quickly you get annoyed by silly things.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: January 08, 2018, 06:50:57 pm »

What do you want from me?  I'm a thirty-something full-time dad with injuries that leave me just functional enough to not be disabled, chronic pain that means just sitting here typing this is actual physical agony, and most likely fairly severe classical PTSD.  This is the only place I get any socialization because public places put me so on-edge that I am constantly on the verge of going full violent psychotic.  How goddamn pathetic is that?  You people are as close to friends as I get outside of a very few people I've known for most of my life.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 06:57:09 pm by NullForceOmega »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: January 08, 2018, 07:00:57 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: January 08, 2018, 07:08:32 pm »

I'm really not trying to be antagonistic when I get into these discussions here, but I've got some problems letting things go once I get involved in them, and I'm not good at not escalating things.  I apologize for getting a bit heated about this, I'm gonna step out of the discussion so I don't make this any worse.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: January 08, 2018, 07:57:42 pm »

Yeah.. It is getting pretty off-topic.
I wish... For a whole year with no "edgy" games. As much to see the influence it would have as anything else.
Read the First Post!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: January 09, 2018, 06:02:01 pm »

another anime based epiphany:

"a game in the style of Kantai Collection, but based on the EVE Online universe".

you take on the reins of a Fleet Commander for CONCORD. your task is to advance in a series of campaigns around the New Eden cluster while gaining resources and the favor of the four empires and other minor organizations. among those campaigns you are tasked with resource collection, infrastructure construction and security against enemies ranging from non aligned pirates and Rogue Drones to Sleeper Drones and Drifters.

the progression is based around starting with one of the empire fronts, then as you ascend in ranks and everything you unlock the rest of the ships, including Navy, Pirate, T2 and T3. you are still limited to teams of 5 ships.

ships are represented in an antro version, from Corvettes to Titans. Upwell Structures are out because it would be weird honestly so they are more like the base building part.
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 577