Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 905257 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #7815 on: February 26, 2018, 01:49:39 am »

I still want a multiplayer bethesda-ish RPG that basically works a bit like a tiny MMO -- a shared, persistent world, but only for a dozen people at most. Make it so that interactions with NPCs have lasting consequnces (if you give Farmer Bob 30 rat pelts, he'll actually get back to farming instead of still complaining about rats in his cabbages).

I have a broad idea for something like this where the characters are found in a vast jungle or forest and instead of having a specific story, it's somehow emergent from their traits and player actions.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7816 on: February 26, 2018, 01:51:31 am »

That is exactly how I imagine multiplayer DF adventure mode would be.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7817 on: February 26, 2018, 02:01:52 am »

That is exactly how I imagine multiplayer DF adventure mode would be.

Say, is that functional yet? I seem to remember somebody working on a plugin for it....
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: February 26, 2018, 02:04:11 am »

If it is, I haven't heard anything about it.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: February 26, 2018, 08:32:05 am »

A solid, deep life sim. Could be textbased for all I care, the crucial aspect is depth and complexity.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7820 on: February 26, 2018, 12:43:46 pm »

A solid, deep life sim. Could be textbased for all I care, the crucial aspect is depth and complexity.
That's easy enough to do as a forum game.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7821 on: February 26, 2018, 03:48:49 pm »

Doesn't complexity make G.M.s explode?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7822 on: February 28, 2018, 02:02:38 am »

Doesn't complexity make G.M.s explode?
Only if they don't have a plan and the gumption to see it through, even if they don't like what they're making at a given moment, but only if they are having fun with what they're doing at least some of the time.

1. Have a plan
2. When the plan fails don't give up
3. You will be miserable while working through setbacks
4. But it's ok as long as deep down you're doing what you want to do in the best way you can

Complexity doesn't make GMs explode, GMs make GMs explode.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7823 on: February 28, 2018, 05:29:19 am »

Here is a game I wish existed, but maybe already exists, so this could also go in the "recommend me a game" thread.

I'm looking for a game with a strong emphasis on base building/defense, but also on outside missions.
Think about a mix of the show The Walking Dead and the game This War of Mine.

The scenario doesn't really matter. Can be past-global war, past-zombie apocalypse, stranded on an alien planet, colonists on a new continent, whatever. I don't really care if it's medieval or in 2570, sci-fi or realistic.
I want to manage a band of survivors/refugees and their base. This War of Mine does this well, but I want it to be way deeper and more detailed. The ideal would be a construction system like Wurm Online. But I don't want to build everything manually by myself. The colonists would build on my blueprint.

Interaction with the outside world should be equally important. Ideally I'd like to prepare my parties to go outside and interact with the world. Can be scavenging in abandoned locations, combat missions, exploration, interaction with other communities.
The thing is, I want an open world. I don't want a map with fixed locations like This War of Mine.
Open world (thinking of bethesda games here) with an x-com zoomable view from above. When the party enters combat, it becomes turn-based.

So yeah, pretty much four games in one.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:57:50 am by Ai Shizuka »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7824 on: February 28, 2018, 06:07:44 am »

Here is a game I wish existed, but maybe already exists, so this could also go in the "recommend me a game" thread.

I'm looking for a game with a strong emphasis on base building/defense, but also on outside missions.
Think about a mix of the show The Walking Dead and the game This War of Mine.

The scenario doesn't really matter. Can be past-global war, past-zombie apocalypse, stranded on an alien planet, colonists on a new continent, whatever. I don't really care if it's medieval or in 2570, sci-fi or realistic.
I want to manage a band of survivors/refugees and their base. This War of Mine does this well, but I want it to be way deeper and more detailed. The ideal would be a construction system like Wurm Online. But I don't want to build everything manually by myself. The colonists would build on my blueprint.

Interaction with the outside world should be equally important. Ideally I'd like to prepare my parties to go outside and interact with the world. Can be scavenging in abandoned locations, combat missions, exploration, interaction with other communities.
The thing is, I want an open world. I don't want a map with fixed locations like This War of Mine.
Open world (thinking of bethesda games here) with an x-com zoomable view from above. When the party enters combat, it becomes turn-based.

So yeah, pretty much four games in one.
... Dwarf Fortress is pretty much exactly the game you're looking for, especially since the latest big release added the possibility of raiding other sites in fortress mode (thus being able to interact meaningfully with the outside world for the first time.)
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7825 on: February 28, 2018, 07:05:25 am »

Dwarf Fortress doesn't really catch the feeling of constant struggle I'm looking for. But I haven't played it for a while, so I guess I'll have to check the latest updates.

To me, after the first couple seasons, DF always felt more like an industrial simulator rather than a survival game. With some basic defenses up, one isn't really in danger anymore.
Adding stuff to the base should be a big deal. In DF I can just order my slaves to strip-mine an entire level and get endless resources. I can plop down a couple fields and forget about food issues forever. I don't want that.

Getting a new colonist should also be a big deal. I don't want to see my small group of survivors turning into a city of faceless entities in a few seasons.

Also, I don't like easy hand-holding games (my most played games on steam are battle brothers, darkest dungeon, hearts of iron 3 and xcom 2), but I can't really stomach the DF interface anymore. I played an unhealthy amount of DF in the past, in all sorts of biomes and conditions and sometimes I feel like playing it again. But then I realize I'd have to re-learn how to equip the proper equipment on my soldiers or how to manage my burrows and decide it's not worth it.

So, I should have mentioned a minimum of user-friendliness in the requisites for my game.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7826 on: February 28, 2018, 07:15:46 am »

Rimworld?

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7827 on: February 28, 2018, 07:25:26 am »

Nope, missing the whole "roaming in an open world" part.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7828 on: February 28, 2018, 07:32:02 am »

I think they added it.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7829 on: February 28, 2018, 07:40:55 am »

I think they added it.

Oh, that's interesting. I have 50ish hours on Rimworld, but it's been a while. 1.0 is almost out, so I think I'll wait for it.
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 577