Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 912639 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #7905 on: August 11, 2018, 09:54:16 pm »

An asymetric RTS game (like Fantasy Flight's rebellion) where one team is above ground, and one team is hidden below. The underground team (molepeople, why not), can only build underground. The above ground team can only build above ground. But both can send their units between the two layers using tunnels.

The molepeople have the ability to rebuild dug out squares of earth to help hide the movement of their troops. Some of their special units would be better/faster at this than others, but cost more.
They can even burrow under the buildings of the above ground team, destroying them from below.

On the other hand the above ground team (humans?) have the greater strength. The issue for them is to even find the base of the enemy in order to destroy it. The molepeople may be able to achieve victory by other means, so the clock is ticking.

TLDR: RTS with hide and seek, and some kind of psychological elements where you try and draw eachother out.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: August 11, 2018, 10:02:51 pm »

A Sword of the Samurai-esque game but you're more of a wandering ronin. I love the interface, the choices you can make, the duelling system and 1 vs many battles. The estate management and Crusader Kings-like dynasty building I'm personally not as much of a fan of.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: August 13, 2018, 10:59:10 pm »

Scene:

You enter a room.
A private study. 19th century furnishings. A nice fireplace. High backed chair. etc.
High-bit pixel art.
The bookshelves are empty, except for a copy of the Odyssey.
Clicking on the book, you find a letter.

"Dear Son/Daughter... I forget which you were...

Sorry, I sold all my books to pay for my opium addiction.
I could not bare to face my failure as an intellectual.

This is all that is left.

P.S.

I suspect you are quite sharp, even if I can't remember your face or your name, what with me
having no time for you and sending you to boarding school this past decade.
Also, because of the opium. It really fucks with your mind.

If you would like to be a public intellectual and compete in the quote battles at the club,
you just might be able to rebuild this library. You can start by reading this book..."

-------

A game set in the 19th century, where you collect books, read them, and use the knowledge within to battle it out with other antiquarians and intellectual types.
Beating people in battle can help you collect more books.

Fill up your shelves with texts, and gradually move up the chain to establish yourself as the leading quote battling intellectual of the age.

--------

Book titles would be from real books, with actual extracts (all public domain because they are old.) Maybe a page or two of neat quotes from each book. You have to read them, remember them, and then deploy them later to catch out people when they misquote somebody.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:05:27 pm by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: August 15, 2018, 05:59:17 am »

A game where you play as a mad scientist who creates creatures in their lab out of various bits and pieces. The creatures you create have some modelling for different functions. They need a heart, a brain, blood, lungs, etc. The quality of the pieces you get will have some impact on the capacities of the creature. Body parts from a super strong boxer would help you make a creature that is good at fighting, etc.

The game loops would be:

1. Creature creation / design.
2. Using said creatures to help you go on missions to gather more body parts by raiding cemeteries, morgues, or abductions. Gather better lab equipment, or rob places for
money to buy supplies.
- Go back to 1, make new, better creatures, or append parts onto your existing creatures in order to upgrade them.

Game Style: Possibly you could go more abstract, with raid results all occurring via text. But with more time you could maybe do more of a darkest dungeon style, or perhaps X-com exploration of levels.
Visual Style: a gothic 19th aesthetic, Shelly's Frankenstein for literary influence, decent 2D graphics

There's an old RTS called Impossible Creatures where you kind of do this- just you're combining different creatures where it's like top half one bottom half is the other.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: August 15, 2018, 11:14:17 am »

A game where characters literally are their equipment - animated suits of armor. You play as one who can actually replace their armor. Armor arms could increase/modify strength or attack speed, legs could modify movement speed, helmets could affect intellect, and so on.

Equipment would be looted from dead enemies - enemies will fall apart once they take enough damage, leaving their remains to pick up and equip.

Subsystem damage would also have another issue - sure, attacking the head kills fastest, but that also denies you a helmet you could equip to protect yourself from any attacks directed at your own head.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: August 15, 2018, 11:20:26 am »

Heh. Ehehe. Soul Armor Recollect and its sequel/related game, Chimera Recollect, hits most of those points one way or another... if probably not in a format you were thinking about :P

Pretty sure there's been a few other games with very similar mechanics, too, though I can't recall names at the moment. The X@COM guy has a thread here in OG for one, and I seem to recall some console based things with a similar premise, if not specifically animated armors.

E: Ah, Cogmind. That's what it was called. Want to say the Surge has a vaguely similar mechanic with collecting equipment, too, if probably not nearly as crunchy as you seem to be after.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:23:32 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: August 15, 2018, 11:41:38 am »

Mech games like Armored Core feature replacing body parts, but don't necessarily allow scavenging from enemies. Usually a mechanic like that is unbalancing because the player can quickly amass vast wealth.

For example, if Armor A costs 10, and Armor B costs 75, and Armor C costs 400. The player might only be able to afford Armor A at first but acquires Armor B as soon as he fights an enemy so equipped. And after selling the loot from just a few more Armor B enemies he can afford Armor C.

One way around this is to say the equipment is too degraded after the combat, and looting it isn't worthwhile. I think most games would use this justification for not even showing the loot. It's also possible the loot is almost completely destroyed, but you could loot it and return to get it repaired ... but the total wealth gained in all that trouble is relatively low because of the repair cost and the opportunity cost in wasting time hauling low-value items back to town vs. adventuring and getting better treasure.

Another way is breaking down the captured loot for ingredients, for use in creating the next armor. There's a monster hunting multiplayer game called Dauntless that's popular right now that does this.

Yet another way is just making it so NPC buyers pay almost nothing for the captured loot, so its value is strictly in upgrading. In order to wear a thing, you have to kill at least one enemy that was wearing the thing. Ways to slow this progression down include armor sizes (your Halfling can't wear the captured platemail because it was made for the Orc you looted it from), randomized capability (this platemail is not so good, the next platemail is a little better, after finding 300 more platemail you pick up the best variant).

Finally you could go with the 1974 D&D method, where a starting character can easily afford platemail if he likes. But each armor has tradeoffs, with heavier armor making you move slower because of its bulk, it weighs more so you must carry less of other equipment and treasure, and it's louder. When Leather costs 15, Chain costs 30, Plate costs 50 you can have the players encounter a bunch of platemail-wearing enemies without the treasure value allowing further player-equipment upgrading to the first tier of magic armor, which even if available for sale would cost several thousands. 
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: August 15, 2018, 01:15:13 pm »

The Surge!
It's way more action than RPG, but you can dissect enemies to steal their sweet, sweet robo armor so CLOSE ENOUGH

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: August 15, 2018, 01:16:32 pm »

RIP Chromehounds
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: August 17, 2018, 10:25:52 pm »

I want civ, but high fantasy. I get that I could mod it, but also I don't want to see "The dwarves have constructed the statue of liberty"
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: August 17, 2018, 11:22:34 pm »

A Fantasy RPG where your character(and ONLY your character) is immortal, Note that "immortal" does NOT mean indestructible, with you having a regular person's healing ability- Total dismemberment or utter annihilation would be your method of "game over" - for bonus points you could throw in a sanity system where you go a bit more nuts every time someone you interacted with repeatedly(a party member, important trader, ect) Dies.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: August 17, 2018, 11:25:19 pm »

Have you played Planescape: Torment?

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: August 17, 2018, 11:31:49 pm »

Have you played Planescape: Torment?
Me or crazy?
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: August 17, 2018, 11:36:16 pm »

It's a classic RPG, so you probably won't get what you're looking for out of it.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: August 17, 2018, 11:37:41 pm »

Oh okay
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 577