Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 914220 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #8100 on: March 12, 2019, 08:10:41 am »

A game that is kind of like the first stage of Spore, where you get bigger and stronger by eating those smaller than you, except it is a horror stealth game.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: March 16, 2019, 05:10:23 am »

I want to see two remakes of Sonic 06. I want to see it remade somehow in the Sonic Adventure engine, and I want to see it completely reimagined as a Bioware-style action RPG like Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

A Bioware RPG version of Sonic would probably end up cringey or hilariously terrible in various ways, as Sega has proven that they can't make a serious Sonic game without those qualities.  I sometimes wonder if Sonic just doesn't work for serious plots.

A Sonic Bioware game, you say?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Chronicles:_The_Dark_Brotherhood

It may or may not feature tower of Hanoi puzzles
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:12:09 am by Sartain »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: March 16, 2019, 06:01:59 am »

Missed opportunity to call it "Sonicles: The Shadow Brotherhog"

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8104 on: March 16, 2019, 02:22:23 pm »

I sometimes wonder if Sonic just doesn't work for serious plots.
Are you telling me the four foot tall bipedal blue hedgehog who moves at the speed of sound and smashes robot running on tiny animal power isn't good for a serious plot?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8105 on: March 16, 2019, 05:32:59 pm »

a sci-fi simulator (kinda like DF world simulation but on a galactic lvl) where the player can choose different starts based on the races and interstellar empires that arise in the game. there would be some defacto species and empires but most if not all the lifeforms would be procedurally generated. as it befits a game inspired by our beloved fantasy simulator, this game would use glorious ASCII graphics with the option for tilesets.

there would be 2 gameplay modes, the first one is Colonist mode and focus around the player being a citizen traveling from the heart of its starting empire towards the exploration of deep space. the player will have to resort to survive by different means not only combat but also crafting and social interaction with the beings it encounters out in the frontier, this also includes piloting vehicles or spaceships (not sure how do you manage a vehicle in a RogueLike but examples must exist).

the other gameplay option is Colony Mode, this one is of course about city management much like in Fortress mode but with the difference that you can select from a huge list of Star Systems, Planets/Moons and Alien Races or Empires to pick. apart of these racial and cosmographical options you would also be able to choose the method on which you want to embark on the select terrain. all of those decision would have an impact on how your colony will fare at the start.

i guess the game would be heavily inspired by titles like ASCII Sector, Dwarf Fortress, URR, SoH, Rimworld, Stellaris, Aurora 4X, TiTS, Cogmind and Infiniverse (a small prototype i saw on the internet years ago, it never took off sadly) and this is just for a basic idea (would probably throw SPORE, Evochron, X3, EVE and Starbound on that mix).

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:36:58 pm by xaritscin »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: March 21, 2019, 06:00:31 am »

I've had an idea for  an RPG where the story is very Truman Show-esque. Where if you play it "normally" it guides you along a pretty traditional JRPG quest of linear story, with your standard diverse roster of allies, who travel about the world going from town to town and dungeon to dungeon, to fight your 2-dimensionally evil final boss and live happily ever after with your shallow designated romantic interest.

For astute players however who pick up on the seams of the world and the storytelling, the players can go against the intended path and objectives, and slowly learn that the entire quest is a sham, all your allies/NPC's/Enemies are actors, the world you live in is an elaborate cage to keep you living out an idle and meaningless fantasy for all eternity over and over. Of course, this would be fairly difficult, as not only would the clues be hidden and benign enough that experienced players would brush them off as 'accepted cliches' that come with the territory of game playing; but also that the quest would be very robust against your attempts to break it. If you try to sequence break, the story changes to accommodate it, if you interrogate your "allies" they play dumb and persist in maintaining the illusion at all costs, and it's only when you can really prove beyond doubt that the world and your quest is fake does it start to crumble, it rapidly unravels and the entire world at once becomes hostile, having failed to keep you sedated and therefore has to try to eliminate you to keep you from escaping your 'cage'.

The entire idea is very Matrix-like in that regard. I don't know if there's any game like that already in existence, it sounds like something that would be very "woke" and therefore something an indie would atleast have tried with a low budget game. What I have imagined though isn't something I've ever stumbled across though.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:04:43 am by JoshuaFH »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8107 on: March 21, 2019, 06:35:56 am »

Kinda like the Stanley Parable but with actual gameplay. I like it. If executed well it can easily become another deconstructionist hit game, with a ton of lore, theorising and a rabid fanbase.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: March 21, 2019, 12:53:48 pm »

Either you ruin it by explaining the gimmick on the download page or you run a real risk of nobody "getting" it and remaining a very meh generic indie JRPG.

When you play DDLC normally, the game makes a point of very blatantly breaking itself to force you to look behind the curtain. That is, I think that if you want the player to have a good time with a weird meta plot, you need to give them a little help. Maybe after completing the game once, you're given a cue that not everything is right and dumped back to the start of the game.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: March 21, 2019, 01:17:36 pm »

Undertale did that.

Undertale actually kept me interested to the point when it did that, though.

Genocide runs ftw.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: March 21, 2019, 05:57:19 pm »

That sounds genuinely neat but the second someone finds a dialogue option with anything remotely referring to the secret premise, the bag will be out of the kitty cat. People gonna meta.

Other than that you'd have to explain it, as stated above.

You would need something on the level of Matrix-style AI to dynamically alter the game and every event to come to actually achieve that in a way that people wouldn't figure out. That said, a game about being unknowingly trapped in an RPG simulation that slowly reveals it's true purpose WOULD be rad as heck. I recommend checking out [Room Of Swords], a webcomic. It is relevant to the premise, at least.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8111 on: March 22, 2019, 06:04:25 am »

The only way that makes sense to me game-design-wise that is realistic to implement and fun for the player to discover is to have the game have very deep and complex game mechanics that allow for a very high skill ceiling that the hypothetical players would be able to master within 1 or 2 playthroughs. The game would be structured such that there would be decisive forked paths through the story that aren't immediately obvious if you haven't mastered the game mechanics, but once you have you can complete the very hard challenge associated with deviating from the 'main path' allowing you to then travel along the 'deviant path' which acts as the red pill story mode in addition to rewarding players for their skill with extra and suitably challenging content.

Obviously easier said than done.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8112 on: March 22, 2019, 03:03:34 pm »

JoshuaFH, I think OneShot is pretty close to what you're describing (in the meta sense), although it has no combat. It's also very much worth playing and easy to spoil.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:02:03 pm by MagmaMcFry »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: March 22, 2019, 04:59:09 pm »

Related, I'd like a game that seems super on-rails and limited but the moment you try to break the game it just lets you.

So like a first person shooter with hallways and at one point you walk outside and the border becomes a minefield... and if you navigate around the mines you walk off into the distance and eventually find the open world game that it actually is.  Of course it would have to be structured so that all but the most boring players manage to figure it out on their own eventually.

I think it would be a cool lightbulb moment, realizing something you thought was impossible is actually very possible.

Edit: Or your main ally is obviously evil and your mission is obviously a trick, and if you try to murder him he just dies and its confirmed that you were correct
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:01:02 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: March 22, 2019, 05:24:31 pm »

Or those unopenable doors that are really just a texture on the wall, except you can shoot the lock and they'll open into the rest of the building.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 577