Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 912456 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #8310 on: January 13, 2020, 09:10:05 am »

An idea I had that I may actually try and put together a prototype/poc for. It occurs to me there's a lack of games that give that Delta Green/X-Files "investigate, evaluate, exterminate" feel, so tldr is Delta Green + XCOM + CK2.

So the basic idea is you control an organisation that fights against and suppresses the occult/supernatural forces in the world. You put together teams of agents with a range of skills and dispatch them to handle 'incidents', which are put together like CK2 event chains. They'll phone in to report their progress and ask for advice on how to proceed, and how they progress in the chain is based on the skills of the team.

As agents gain experience they can skill up or gain new traits, but can also go mad from what they've seen/learnt. So you have to balance experience with their rising insanity. Or just use them up, burn them out, and ship in the next lot of mooks.

Events are all little stories patterned like Delta Green sessions. So you need to respond to moral quandaries regarding people who know too much or are seemingly innocent, and the psychological damage on your agents that inflicts, as well as occasionally just burning everything down.

How do you deal with a missing child who reappears two decades later without aging a day?

What if the team doctor found microscopic surgery scars all over their body. How do you know they're still really even human? Do you try and extract them for long term study at a secure location, shuttle them off to an orphanage, an autopsy or vivisection may provide more information about who took them and what they did, or should you just put two between that things eyes and chuck it's corpse into an incinerator?

And what about the park ranger who found them? He knows the name, he knows he disappeared decades ago. His report is what flagged it up. He has asked too many questions. A potential recruit, or unfortunate collateral?

So somewhere between this and x-com?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8311 on: January 15, 2020, 11:22:35 am »

Oh man, I'm really sad about how much tinypic took away from me there... As if breaking up with my ex and moving out wasn't enough of a schedule-stopper, my damn image host up and goes bust.

Really sorry about dropping the ball on that one

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8312 on: January 15, 2020, 11:49:08 am »

Nah, that happens. I'm curious how many actually get completed.

Edit to add: Today I learned there was almost a sequel to Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:16:04 pm by Iduno »

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8313 on: January 15, 2020, 06:12:04 pm »

An idea I had that I may actually try and put together a prototype/poc for. It occurs to me there's a lack of games that give that Delta Green/X-Files "investigate, evaluate, exterminate" feel, so tldr is Delta Green + XCOM + CK2.

So the basic idea is you control an organisation that fights against and suppresses the occult/supernatural forces in the world. You put together teams of agents with a range of skills and dispatch them to handle 'incidents', which are put together like CK2 event chains. They'll phone in to report their progress and ask for advice on how to proceed, and how they progress in the chain is based on the skills of the team.

As agents gain experience they can skill up or gain new traits, but can also go mad from what they've seen/learnt. So you have to balance experience with their rising insanity. Or just use them up, burn them out, and ship in the next lot of mooks.

Events are all little stories patterned like Delta Green sessions. So you need to respond to moral quandaries regarding people who know too much or are seemingly innocent, and the psychological damage on your agents that inflicts, as well as occasionally just burning everything down.

How do you deal with a missing child who reappears two decades later without aging a day?

What if the team doctor found microscopic surgery scars all over their body. How do you know they're still really even human? Do you try and extract them for long term study at a secure location, shuttle them off to an orphanage, an autopsy or vivisection may provide more information about who took them and what they did, or should you just put two between that things eyes and chuck it's corpse into an incinerator?

And what about the park ranger who found them? He knows the name, he knows he disappeared decades ago. His report is what flagged it up. He has asked too many questions. A potential recruit, or unfortunate collateral?

I feel like this should also have some sort of internal agency paranoia where departments heads and agents could potentially be influenced by sinister forces and be working against the agency in secret. But it's difficult to know for certain so sometimes you'll have to chance the Assistant Director Fiske is really a good guy and totally not a thrall of the Fungi of Yuggoth or whatnot

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8314 on: February 12, 2020, 09:35:47 am »

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this concept previously, but it popped into my head again recently so I figured I might as well reiterate...

So, playing Shadow of Mordor back in the day, I was of course completely enamored by the Nemesis system and its potential (and a tiny bit saddened by how the game at the time didn't really use/abuse it to the fullest, but I was still happy with what I got), and have wanted to see more of it.

Around the same time, I also got into playing the Early Access Man O' War: Corsair (which is a deeply flawed title, but I still got a good hundred hours out of it or so), and was spending a lot of time sailing around up and down the coastline of the old world.

And that's when it struck me... A piratical seafaring adventure, with the other captains being handled by the Nemesis system! Each with their own personalities, specialties, identifying traits... Forge friendships, be owed blood debts, make enemies, get ambushed by that mad bastard you could've sworn you'd marooned on an island with a pistol and one shot, be boarding a merchant vessel when PLAYER 3 ENTERS THE GAME and that Dutchman you double-crossed is back for a chat now that you're caught with your pants down, get haunted by that crazy-eyed dervish you've personally seen walk the plank, get shot, stabbed, burned, cast overboard with a weight around his boots and so much more, but he keeps coming back because he's NOT FINISHED WITH YOU YET, BOY.

I just thought that the setting would lend itself quite well to the usage of that system... They'd use particular weapons/tactics, have an abundance of situations and interactions to display their quirks in, could even have their own personal flags! Imagine sailing alongside some random ship when a crewman shouts out that they're changing colors, and sure enough... It's that flag. That damned flag. You really thought you'd seen the last of her, and now? Right as you're limping back from a rough (but very lucrative) run? You sigh, groan, grit your teeth, and prepare for another life-or-death spat with that lady captain you're damned certain the devil himself sent to sea for the explicit purpose of showing you Hell before your time.

...and just when it's looking bad, a broadside cleaves into the she-demon's ship and you hear a familiar voice bellowing from the side of the cutter that's just come alongside: "THIS MAKES US EVEN, SWAB!", and you look over to see the leathery beard-ringed face of that slightly barmy fellow you took mercy on and rescued from being marooned on that sandbar a while back.

So, uh... Yeah. I just figured it worked with the system.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: February 12, 2020, 09:56:51 am »

I want a game with Fallout 4's gameplay, just with more in depth RPG elements and choices that mean something which don't feel hamfisted.  Setting isn't quite as relevant, but definitely want the settlement and building system, and first/third person would be preferable, but don't want the settlement/tower defense aspects of the game to be the main focus.  Still would like to go out in the world and interact with it, and for the game to have a story that focuses on how your character interacts in the world.

I'm just surprised at this point there hasn't been a game that has just tried to make a better version of Fallout 4.  There've been some great RPGs, some great survival building games, but none of those great RPGs have any of the building and very thin survival, while the survival/building games have very thin stories and little to no RPG aspects.  I feel like No Man's Sky is ALMOST there, but again, thin on the RPG, story, and even the combat aspects of the game

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8316 on: February 12, 2020, 10:13:17 am »

Kenshi?

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8317 on: February 12, 2020, 03:08:24 pm »

An economic MMO/city building hybrid in the age of sail.
Every player builds his/her own city. I'm thinking about Caesar/Pharaoh management level. Various cities can form states and interact with other states via diplomacy, war or trade.
Every state needs various kinds of settlements to be successful: big harbor cities, mining outposts, fortified towns in strategic locations, and so on.
The economy and politics are completely player-driven, EVE online style, so everything's possible. War, coups, trading embargoes, alliances and backstabbing. There are no NPCs, but every faction picks its own leaders. A player can also decide to remain independent and be a city-state.

I'm not sure about the actual war. Maybe the combat should be abstracted and the outcome decided by the amount and variety of resources/troops invested. Not sure about this. Or the generals could be actual players who receive troops and supplies from the various cities and conduct warfare in a grand strategy game inside the game?

Also, the big question. What happens to a city when his/her owner is offline? This is tricky, because ideally this should be a permanent-world kind of game.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8318 on: February 13, 2020, 02:06:58 am »

That has a neat advantage of making it so that the only thing that needs to be synced is the ships sailing between towns. I mean, some level of anti-cheating would be nice...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8319 on: February 13, 2020, 03:09:30 am »

An economic MMO/city building hybrid in the age of sail.
Every player builds his/her own city. I'm thinking about Caesar/Pharaoh management level. Various cities can form states and interact with other states via diplomacy, war or trade.
Every state needs various kinds of settlements to be successful: big harbor cities, mining outposts, fortified towns in strategic locations, and so on.
The economy and politics are completely player-driven, EVE online style, so everything's possible. War, coups, trading embargoes, alliances and backstabbing. There are no NPCs, but every faction picks its own leaders. A player can also decide to remain independent and be a city-state.

I'm not sure about the actual war. Maybe the combat should be abstracted and the outcome decided by the amount and variety of resources/troops invested. Not sure about this. Or the generals could be actual players who receive troops and supplies from the various cities and conduct warfare in a grand strategy game inside the game?

Also, the big question. What happens to a city when his/her owner is offline? This is tricky, because ideally this should be a permanent-world kind of game.

Oh god, please don't remind me of Shores of Hazeron because this is exactly that to an uncanny degree, just sci-fi instead of age of sail.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #8320 on: February 13, 2020, 03:36:04 am »

-nemesis snip-
That would be really good! I really quite liked the Nemesis system; seeing it in another context (or seven) would be great.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #8321 on: February 14, 2020, 12:12:44 pm »

A turn-based Yakuza game with some of the same elements as Into The Breach.

Send someone flying to knock them into their allies. Pick up pieces of terrain (Motorcycles and the like) to use as weapons. Protect shop property from being damaged (or, alternatively, deliberately damage shops protected by rivals in order to get them on your side).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: February 16, 2020, 12:55:33 pm »

A turn-based Yakuza game with some of the same elements as Into The Breach.

Send someone flying to knock them into their allies. Pick up pieces of terrain (Motorcycles and the like) to use as weapons. Protect shop property from being damaged (or, alternatively, deliberately damage shops protected by rivals in order to get them on your side).

Better if it interacts with the pushing/pulling mechanics more than Into the Breach did. It always felt like the solution was to do one, but it wasn't always an option, depending on what teams you tried.

I like the idea of having both allied and opponent-controlled buildings. They can't keep operating if you take out their income.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8323 on: February 16, 2020, 02:02:05 pm »

Ymir. But more polished. Naval combat, enemy AI beyond barbarians, so you can end up with a whole planet game were you can go against either human, AI or a combination of them as enemies/allies.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:05:44 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8324 on: February 24, 2020, 10:30:16 am »

PC Building Simulator but for enterprise hardware - servers, switches, racks, power, etc.

I can build a PC in real life and have the funds to do so, so PC Building Simulator is basically an optimization exercise with hardware that I don't have to convince the spouse isn't a waste of cash.

I can sort of do similar with ancient enterprise hardware (a decommissioned >10 year old server with dual 8-core Xeons, some additional RAM, and replacement SAS drives are cheap-ish; under $200) but I'd love to mess with newer or more expensive stuff. An Epyc server with multiple terabytes of RAM. A fully loaded blade chassis with 32 cores in total. A JBOD filled with storage that's worth more than my car. Wiring a building with Cat6a. Hell, it could have an ethernet termination minigame if it was super ambitious.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:34:35 am by Mephisto »
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 577