Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 915559 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #8370 on: November 11, 2020, 01:34:28 pm »

On speedrunners:

"A game designer painstakingly carves a beautiful sculpture out of wood, first chiseling it out of a raw block and then gradually rounding off any rough edges, making sure it works when it's viewed from any angle. The speedrunner takes that sculpture and they look it over carefully from top to bottom, from every angle, and deeply understand it and they appreciate all the work that went into the design. All the strengths or the weak points, and then having understood it perfectly... they break it over their knee. And that's why I love speedrunners." -Bennett Foddy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGU5_UUalPA)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8371 on: November 11, 2020, 03:34:28 pm »

I wish  open world games used interoperable assets and shared the same physics engine, whereby  these worlds could exist interactively within the same galaxy and share each others resources.  For example, it ought to be possible to build a space cruiser in Kerbin and fly Kerbals a few thousand light years across the galaxy to Morrowind for a spot of tourism and scientific experiments.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: November 12, 2020, 11:27:39 am »

Well, if you fly to morrowind, there is nothing to stop you from also flying to Cyrodiil and Skyrim.

It sounds interesting. I add that in order to do this, you should have a way to travel through time too. In cases where multiple games take place in the same continuity, but assets from one would be nonsensical in the time of others. (Thinking Oblivion gates, Ministry of Justice in Vivec, and Ulfric Stormcloak). So for planets containing more than one game, which are at different times, you would choose at which time you appear, thus selecting which assets appear.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: November 12, 2020, 02:17:00 pm »

That'd be really interesting for things that ostensibly exist in the same universe but are (at least superficially) disparate in theme-- like Conan the Barbarian and Cthulhu.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8374 on: November 12, 2020, 03:32:22 pm »

I seem to recall someone tried something like that at some point. A (janky/low budget) MMO with inter-world transit that led to worlds with significantly different gameplay mechanics, meant to be moved between and whatnot. Can't recall what happened to it, though...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8375 on: November 13, 2020, 10:47:35 pm »

I seem to recall someone tried something like that at some point. A (janky/low budget) MMO with inter-world transit that led to worlds with significantly different gameplay mechanics, meant to be moved between and whatnot. Can't recall what happened to it, though...
Do you remember what it was called?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8376 on: November 13, 2020, 11:08:45 pm »

Not even the least little bit, otherwise I would have mentioned it :P
Ask not!
Ask!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: November 14, 2020, 02:47:14 am »

Game idea that I just thought of, it's a rough idea that probably isn't practical at all, but I wanted to write it down:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8378 on: November 14, 2020, 02:58:43 am »

A sandbox world like that would be interesting, I think

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8379 on: November 14, 2020, 06:38:26 am »

That reminds me of what I think was a Ludum Dare entry where the entire "game" was basically a patch note generator that would spit things out ranging from the reasonable "Thrown pies no longer cause fatal damage." to the rather quirky "Flooding will no longer cause bananas to spontaneously erupt into flames upon consumption."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8380 on: November 14, 2020, 08:04:14 pm »

That reminds me of what I think was a Ludum Dare entry where the entire "game" was basically a patch note generator that would spit things out ranging from the reasonable "Thrown pies no longer cause fatal damage." to the rather quirky "Flooding will no longer cause bananas to spontaneously erupt into flames upon consumption."
I wonder what evolutionary events would cause bananas to combust during floods? :)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8381 on: November 14, 2020, 11:06:17 pm »

There are chemicals that ignite on contact with water, iirc, or something like that. Oxygen and hydrogen are both, uh. Pretty reactive at the end of the day, from what I understand. It'd take some really weird stuff happening for a fruit to produce it, like... at all. Especially in an environment that even remotely resembles what has produced what we call bananas.

A wildly different environment that somehow produces life without relying heavily on water could maybe see it happen, though. The fruit in question just wouldn't exactly be a banana anymore, and questionably even a fruit.

Alternatively the flood is, like, a flood of molten metal or somethin'. If it's flooding with something besides water it may be incredibly reasonable for current reality bananas to combust when flooded.
Ask not!
Ask!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: November 14, 2020, 11:08:41 pm »

Nah, it's possible that floods are seasonal, and the boomnanas explode when they touch the water in order to spread their seeds.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: November 15, 2020, 12:29:32 am »

Nah, it's possible that floods are seasonal, and the boomnanas explode when they touch the water in order to spread their seeds.

Kind of like the sandbox tree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c0Uu04RpF4

(There's a few in my old neighborhood that were grown as ornamentals. It's always interesting when "ripe" ones fell from the trees and hit the ground...)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: November 15, 2020, 12:37:12 am »

Kind of like the sandbox tree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c0Uu04RpF4

(There's a few in my old neighborhood that were grown as ornamentals. It's always interesting when "ripe" ones fell from the trees and hit the ground...)
I’m glad I don’t live near these
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 577