Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 915078 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #8535 on: February 02, 2022, 06:29:24 pm »

I just want another modern Populous game that retains the same stark, bleak, biblical vibe of the original. I feel like all the recent god games I've seen lately just miss the mark in so many places. This shouldn't be hard......but apparently it is when even Molyneaux couldn't get it right again. (Or tacked on too many stupid ideas.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: February 02, 2022, 07:01:37 pm »

Pokemon, but with guns and sweatshops.

Palworld?

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8537 on: February 02, 2022, 07:57:48 pm »

I just want another modern Populous game that retains the same stark, bleak, biblical vibe of the original. I feel like all the recent god games I've seen lately just miss the mark in so many places. This shouldn't be hard......but apparently it is when even Molyneaux couldn't get it right again. (Or tacked on too many stupid ideas.)

You want like an angry old testament god basically?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8538 on: April 01, 2022, 12:52:18 am »

a sci fi themed TCG/CCG like MTG mixed with a 4X game. You play as a fleet commander during the match and use your cards to grow your resources and produce an army to destroy the other commander. the mechanics are more or less the following.

-the base color pie is composed of 9 colors (RBY/GPO/WBC) each one representing an specific empire with an specific trait. they can be combined to make more complex fleets.

-instead of mana players use supplies which are based on colony cards corresponding to their respective empire colors.

-the commander has a flagship card that is selected at the start of the match. the flagship is both used on the board and represents the player healthpoints but cannot be used in the combat phase.

-spells are replaced with gambit cards which are special maneuvers depending on the colors of the commander. so for example a monored commander has gambit cards related to dish out lots of damage on specific targets or provide additional propulsion to ships so they can go ino action sooner.

-units replace creatures and are composed of things like probes, drones, ships, fighters, maybe stations

-unit cards have 3 atributes instead of 2, they are firepower, defense and energy. firepower defines the attack damage of a unit and depending on color it may have a bonus point, same goes for defense with certain units receiving less damage from certain colors. energy is the resource for the card special habilities or attack, for example, a repair ship may tap itself to repair another vessel during the turn.

-player units repair themselves at the start of the next turn at a base rate of 1 defense point, this could be enhanced depending on deck.

-the flagship doesnt repair automatically on each turn, but the player may spend its flagship energy to repair 10% health rounded up once per turn.

-pilot cards are the equivalent of planeswalkers in this game, they provide special gimmicks to your fleet both in the form of effects or activated gambits.

-Enchantments and Artifacts are replaced with Upgrades and Modules. these are special cards that can be installed to the flagship or to specific units for different benefits during the match.

-game should be scalable easily for more than 2 players due to its EDH/Commander gameplay style. al beit being the last man standing isnt necessarily the wincon, it could be 2v2, 3v3, etc..

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: April 07, 2022, 02:44:06 am »

I want a god game with way too many shit being simulated rather than the overly streamlined stuffs we have nowadays.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: April 11, 2022, 12:50:39 am »

More games with scrappy combat/combat that can be scrappy.

Mad Max gets it right flavor-wise, at least (even if the actual combat itself is like those Batman games where the gameplay is more about making you feel like a badass than giving you a tough challenge).
Yakuza is sort of similar - especially since most games give one a variety of weapons one can use.
Cataclysm is... well, since death is permanent, attacking foes with random junk isn't a very effective tactic. But one can do it.
Going Under also makes it work in that Jackie's punches are only 1 point of damage per hit, meaning grabbing whatever and whacking your foes with it is pretty much mandatory to survival.
Mount and Blade's combat, while perhaps simplistic, does also count in that the player's not really some fancy fencer. They're just putting down whoever's in front of them.
Project Zomboid's combat, again, helps get across the fact our survivors are not skilled fighters.
Dying Light's combat is sort of similar, at least at first, but eventually grows into a series of chain kills and other special techniques Crane picks up.

But I feel none of these games quite have the same feel of scrappiness that I've been hoping for. Or, rather, there's an idealized "scrappy combat game" that I've been constructing in my mind ever since playing these games, if that makes sense.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8541 on: April 11, 2022, 01:00:01 am »

Dwarf Fortress Adventure mode does have a certain brutality I wish other games could capture in a snappier sense. Breaking a guy's finger and then gouging out his eyes is fun and all, but it just takes so long.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8542 on: April 11, 2022, 02:14:07 pm »

There’s a zombie game set in a mall that had three games or so that sounds like it might be like that, I just can’t quite recall the name of it.

Fakedit: Dead Rising, I believe.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: April 12, 2022, 08:42:56 pm »

Dwarf Fortress Adventure mode does have a certain brutality I wish other games could capture in a snappier sense. Breaking a guy's finger and then gouging out his eyes is fun and all, but it just takes so long.

I love the Yakuza series for this exact reason. Literally hundreds of heat moves where you pound on people with things, whip their asses with weapons, shove firecrackers or nails into their mouths, shoot them at point blank and pistol whip them, and that's only the beginning.

For some reason, my nostalgic love of an old JRPG has been inflamed: Thousand Arms, released in 1998 for the Playstation. It's an RPG with a dating sim mechanic you use to upgrade your weapons. The game was honestly mediocre even by the standards of its own era, but holy shit did it have funny and cool moments that left a serious impression on me as a child. Such an impression that even though I played the game once in *maybe* 4th grade, I remembered the game and the tune of the opening song all the way up into adulthood, like legit maybe 23 or 24 years old, and when I got my first job, and got my first paycheck, and was like "HOLY SHIT I HAVE MY OWN MONEY AND I CAN BUY WHAT I WANT NOW!!! .... I think the first thing I'll do is go onto Ebay and buy a copy of Thousand Arms, that game that has been living in my head and heart since childhood." and I got it and played it again just to finally get it out of my system. Honestly, the graphics and gameplay aged like milk, but the silly and quirky moments lived up to the hype.

Now lately I've been using my idle time to imagine a new Thousand Arms-style game, because the next closest JRPG I can imagine that has a heavily built-in dating mechanic would be... what? Personas 3, 4, & 5? While those are better games overall, they honestly don't have shit on the inanity and fun of the *highly random* dating mechanic in Thousand Arms.

It's just always bothered me that Thousand Arms had such a good premise, but the execution was so poor that it never garnered any attention, and therefore never got a sequel, and therefore never got the chance to iterate on and perfect what the first game had managed to do. It just deserved always that second chance in my eyes.

And I suppose that's what I'm lusting for nowadays, something which is like that nostalgic trip of Thousand Arms, but I can't think of anything nowadays that even comes close. TA really was just that unique and special, even after all these years.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8544 on: April 12, 2022, 11:12:18 pm »

Now lately I've been using my idle time to imagine a new Thousand Arms-style game, because the next closest JRPG I can imagine that has a heavily built-in dating mechanic would be... what?

Boyfriend Dungeon? Does anyone know if that one is any good? I've been meaning to try it, but I've been meaning to do dozens of things.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: April 14, 2022, 07:18:48 pm »

Something that combines the cutesy style and tiny, easily quantifiable planets of Astroneer and the procedurally generated diversity of the No Mans Sky.

I like both. But Astroneer, while having piece of art visuals, is very limited for an exploration game. There are only 7 different worlds to see. And when saw them once, you pretty much saw all of the other ones generated in different saves.

And No Mans Sky... Its fine for the most part, actually. But I honestly find it a bit too, I dunno, planet-focused? For one, the planets feel not as merely different places, but as different worlds entirely. There is nothing wrong with that. But every planet and moon feels so distant from eachoter, that the distance just loses meaning. When you move from a planet to another, it's just like moving from A to B. The games unfathomably large map, as it implies, is too large to be percieved as a discernable place, and becomes meaningless.

In Astroneer, the planets and moons are quite small. And experience player can circle one in about 30 minutes on foot. For the moons, just under 10 minutes. This makes planets smaller in mind, and puts and emphasis on going off-world. This smallness, combined with the each world having a set, predetermined amount of variety, makes so that planets are just individual places, not entire worlds.

What I want is essentially a space exploration/sandbox game that downscales everything to be very small so that the big picture is distinct on its own. A game where a planet feels like a place you are on, in on itself, not a changing background element.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 11:10:11 am by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8546 on: April 21, 2022, 01:44:05 pm »

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Definitive edition.

They even got a feature from that game into the latest AoE2 expansion regarding the splitting up of the Indian faction into 3 (now retroactively renamed and reworked), where you could put sheep in your mill in order to passively farm food, so its technically capable to reproduce.

But i fear what the result of DLC monetization would be like in the hands of the Mouse-Company.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: April 21, 2022, 06:23:07 pm »

Check out the expanding fronts mod.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: April 22, 2022, 04:17:09 pm »

Going off that, I wish for a game with more detailed wound treatment.

Cataclysm DDA comes close, but its still hitpoints and body parts.
DF Adventure mode both abstracts things and removes things from Fortress Mode in wound treatment and permanent injuries.

I want to patch up my doods, live with my cripplings, then eventually abandon/retire them because they're too crippled to continue.
The later versions of Battle Brothers comes closer, but I'm looking for more of an RPG.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #8549 on: April 24, 2022, 09:23:58 am »

Going off that, I wish for a game with more detailed wound treatment.

Robinson’s Requiem and Deus were quite amazing for there time, but also buggy and half broken and boring.
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 577