Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 905180 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 02:37:24 pm »

A completely open world, procedural universe with randomly generated NPC's and plot, with a chemistry simulator for creating new compounds and decent AI politics.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 02:43:14 pm »

Dunge-- *cough* DUNGEON KEEPER 3
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 02:45:02 pm »

Anyone think up concepts you REALLY wanted to play, but unfortunately don't exist?

Spore.

Just to day, I thought of a game like this:
In most games, when you fail a mission, you get a "GAME OVER" screen and must start again. However, in a game like this, if you lost the plot would adapt accordingly. For example, this mission would be "The attack was successful but they're launching a counterattack, survive until reinforcements arrive and keep at least five troops alive". If you failed to defend the troops, the base would be destroyed and you'd have to flee and assemble a makeshift squad and base as a last resort.

There's only so far you can take that kind of scenario.  At some point you will have to hit a "game over" screen and at some point people will decide that they'd rather go back to their last save, before they started fucking up.

In that vein, however, I'd like to see someone make a game based off the Temeraire universe (Naomi Novik's stuff).  It'd be somewhere between top-down tactical commander and (I hesitate here, but it's the only technically correct term) a first person shooter.

That is, you strategize before the combat begins, essentially designing your own mission (what part are you playing?) and formulating allied AI response triggers (e.g. this group is going that way, this group is going that way, diversion here, this group serves as backup).  And then you fly into combat as a single* unit yourself.  It'd be advantageous to retreat if you take heavy damage, in order to avoid losing the scenario, as you're put back in the "command chair" and oversee the AI units in a more RTS fashion ("you might be out, but the battle's not over").

*Single being questionable here.  If you're unit is "a tank" you're still effectively playing as three or more people: spotter, driver, gunner, etc.  Within the Temeraire universe you'd be the captain of a dragon, but mechanically speaking you'd be controlling the dragon as well as giving orders to the crew (anywhere from 0 to 30 beyond the captain, armed with various things from knives to muskets to iron bombs).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 02:51:20 pm »

Actually, it's possible to drive that concept anywhere you want, provided you're open enough with the game structure and the player has a main character. Whether you win or lose, so long as your character still lives, you can still fight on. This would work exceptionally well with an RTS set in Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander universe, because your character would be the pilot of a mech capable of singlehandedly constructing an entire army and resource base. You'd obviously get mulltiple endings, with the worst ending being if you've been pushed back to the brink of annihilation and fought your way from there - in which case you've won, but there's no longer any civilization except the fighting machines you build.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 02:58:40 pm »

This would work exceptionally well with an RTS set in Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander universe, because your character would be the pilot of a mech capable of singlehandedly constructing an entire army and resource base.

SupCom has the failing that the win/lose condition on the missions is that the mech is destroyed, less "take territory" kind of deal (i.e. the mission was always "destroy the enemy commander").
Could work, I agree.  It just has to be presented in a way that "mission failure" isn't game over and that they'd want to keep playing.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:02:37 pm by Draco18s »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 03:11:11 pm »

A game with the plot and tension from Splinter Cell, freedom and fluency of movement from Assassin's Creed, level designs from Hitman and a stealth action system better than all the aforementioned games combined.

Yeah, I think every stealth action game out there is flawed somehow.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:16:56 pm by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 03:14:58 pm »

Dunge-- *cough* DUNGEON KEEPER 3

I tried to stay away from sequels I would like... since there are so many (Magic Pengel/Graffiti Kingdom 2 anyone?)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 03:15:14 pm »

An MMO (properly and correctly) based on ShadowRun (and not that shitty FPS that came out with that name, but was not ShadowRun).

I want god damn dragons running the god damned megacorps like the god damned power players they are.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 03:18:00 pm »

An MMO (properly and correctly) based on ShadowRun (and not that shitty FPS that came out with that name, but was not ShadowRun).

I want god damn dragons running the god damned megacorps like the god damned power players they are.

And I want the finished version of your project, probably 2 years from now, comparable to DF in complexity of procedural generation.

Only difference is that's probably going to be done!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 03:18:30 pm »

I would also give one of my lungs for this.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 03:18:43 pm »

And I want the finished version of your project

What, the RTS?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 03:19:11 pm »

Wasn't there an RPG based on shadowrun? I cannot rememeber it well but it may be too old a game for you to enjoy.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 03:19:35 pm »

And I want the finished version of your project

What, the RTS?

Why, yes!

I am a creative projects lurker, I follow all the best projects secretly.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 03:20:27 pm »

Wasn't there an RPG based on shadowrun? I cannot rememeber it well but it may be too old a game for you to enjoy.

There was one for the SNES, and it was a lot of fun.(to me anyway)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 03:21:36 pm »

You mean the actual source material I'm talking about?
Then yes, I'm aware of its existence.
(RPG -> Books -> NES game)

I would also give one of my lungs for this.

Subversion might be very close.  And I've already pondered that modding a magic system in wouldn't be too difficult (it'd reasonably fit within the framework that they've stated).

Why, yes!

I am a creative projects lurker, I follow all the best projects secretly.

Haha.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 577