Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926803 times)

Smashness

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:SLEEP:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1365 on: November 06, 2012, 05:31:11 pm »

Damnit, what I want is the Spore that we were promised when it was being developed.
-snip-
click on the link at the top of the quote box.
tl;dr

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: November 07, 2012, 10:19:26 pm »

Warhammer 40k: Rouge Trader: The Video Game.

You have a ship or two, an army, tons of money, and a Warrant of Trade signed by the Emperor himself. The only goal is profit, other than that, you have free range. Find new worlds and claim them for the Emperor, and smite any xenos you find on said planets in His name. Of course, the game will be limited to a single subsector at first in order not to become vaporware, but the rest of the galaxy will become available through DLCs as time goes by.

When I said free range, I meant you can do pretty much anything. Wanna push the planetary governor of a hive spire? Go ahead! Tech heresy? Sky's the limit! In the mood for smashing a Dark Eldar Archon's balls with a thunder hammer? Whatever floats your boat! Have a hankering to steal Roboute Guillman and gift him to the Blood Ravens? I'm not gonna stop you!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: November 07, 2012, 11:34:47 pm »

A renaissance of old-school first-person-shooters. Supersized levels that gave you tons to explore and shoot at. Carry as many weapons as you damn well please. Huge enemies that are fun to kill. Bright, colorful graphics that are actually cool to look at instead of just muddy-grey. An expansive single-player campaign that shows you everything the game has to offer. The list goes on.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: November 08, 2012, 09:15:23 am »

A renaissance of old-school first-person-shooters. Supersized levels that gave you tons to explore and shoot at. Carry as many weapons as you damn well please. Huge enemies that are fun to kill. Bright, colorful graphics that are actually cool to look at instead of just muddy-grey. An expansive single-player campaign that shows you everything the game has to offer. The list goes on.

There are a couple of those.  There's one that recently came out that takes place in Dubai that fulfills most of that.
(Because it's intended to be more realistic, you can only carry two different guns, but most of the time you only need two).

It's got a great amount of color, despite the city being buried in sand.  I'm not sure how "rail shootery" it is, but in the few hours I played I didn't feel all that hemmed in.  The game was all about the single player, too.

Then there's the game that recently was on Kickstarter, Takedown.  I think it's intended for four players, but it's unclear.  But their entire concept is "old school FPS."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: November 08, 2012, 12:22:31 pm »

Uhh...  There's also, y'know, Painkiller.  Which is about as retro-y, colorful, lotsa guns, blast 'em all, big-level, bossfighty as they get these days.  Focus on singleplayer, but with the classic multiplayer modes too.  Also some wonderfully creative weaponry that makes slaughtering the hordes a lot of fun.

Okay, so it came out in 2004...  So maybe "these days" is a slightly poor way of putting it.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: November 08, 2012, 01:17:45 pm »

Uhh...  There's also, y'know, Painkiller.  Which is about as retro-y, colorful, lotsa guns, blast 'em all, big-level, bossfighty as they get these days.  Focus on singleplayer, but with the classic multiplayer modes too.  Also some wonderfully creative weaponry that makes slaughtering the hordes a lot of fun.

Okay, so it came out in 2004...  So maybe "these days" is a slightly poor way of putting it.

I loved the hell out of Painkiller. Definitely one of my favorite FPS game of all time, up with Jedi Outcast and Combat Evolved for the PC.

There are a couple of those.  There's one that recently came out that takes place in Dubai that fulfills most of that.
(Because it's intended to be more realistic, you can only carry two different guns, but most of the time you only need two).

It's got a great amount of color, despite the city being buried in sand.  I'm not sure how "rail shootery" it is, but in the few hours I played I didn't feel all that hemmed in.  The game was all about the single player, too.

I haven't ever heard of this Dubai game, but it sounds interesting and I wish to subscribe to it's newsletter. Is it based on an actual military operation, or is it some kind of action-movie thing the developer threw together?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:22:44 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: November 08, 2012, 03:54:21 pm »

I haven't ever heard of this Dubai game, but it sounds interesting and I wish to subscribe to it's newsletter. Is it based on an actual military operation, or is it some kind of action-movie thing the developer threw together?

It's a made up scenario.

Ah, found the title.  Spec Ops: The Line.

Again, it's ok but not great.  I gave up only a little way into the demo because there was one room I had trouble clearing; the grenade controls suck ass.  So after doing it four times, managing to beat it, then fucking up the next part and having it restart me prior to that room I said "forget this."

But the game has atmosphere, I'll give it that.  While still largely "brown" there's a damn good reason for it, and they use every opportunity to use more saturated colors (aforementioned room is inside and is very clean and colorful).

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: November 08, 2012, 04:04:10 pm »

The game I want is like a global Jagged Alliance 2, blended with X-COM.
So you have your merc company, small at first, and nations, companies and maybe even wealthy individuals offer contracts. Take them, or do not take them, to not stretch yourself too thin. When you have to free some South American country to save from its evil queen you might not have the ressources and the manpower to also defend South African mines against the unruly, poor natives. After fulfilling a contract, or maybe after reaching certain half-way goals, you get money to spend on new mercs, new equipment, a better base (maybe it was not that bright to build it in the middle of the North Korea in the first place...). And your reputation rises, and with it the contract rates and the danger of the contracts.
Next to more longterm contracts you could also be hired for some special forces operations, maybe for countries that can't afford proper special forces, or maybe they do not want to risk some of their own in what is almost a suicide attack.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1373 on: November 08, 2012, 04:27:15 pm »

I would do that with a cyberpunk setting, because then it's rational that mercenaries would have the potential to be major world military groups, what with megacorps all over the place.

Plus it means neat toys and abilities, like Gauss rifles or railgun bombardment or lasers, or nanotherapy or cloning or cybernetics, or maybe just using nothing but attack drones and having your elite military corps composed of nothing but 260-lb Cheetos Marines.

Of course, those options are always going to be more expensive than recruiting a couple dozen Danish skinheads and giving them AK-47s and fingerless gloves.

Heck, I'd play this. You could probably mod the combat portions into ARMA... though I'd wait for ARMA 3 to do that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: November 08, 2012, 04:52:57 pm »

I would like crusader kings with procedural world/kingdom generation. Maybe with Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, etc. ... And mages, too.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: November 08, 2012, 05:18:43 pm »

snip
snip

SPEC OP is the exact opposite of what you're looking for. It's a biting satire of modern military shooters and uses the mechanics of those games as part of it's message. It might be interesting to pick up if you're interested in that message or you could just watch the Pennyarcade Extra Credits about it.

I usually class old school shooters as having a lack of iron sights, no cover system, no regenerating health, large maps, not being on rails, secrets and puzzles, lots of baddies to kill at a single time, no AI companions (or they stay out of your way), player being a one-man army, a large collection of weapons, fast movement speeds, usually highly skill based, no kill streaks, a general lack of seriousness, finally generally not being a massive gun-wank about the American military and slaying improvised foreigners.

Modern classic shooters that come to my mind are (in rough order of new release):
Painkiller
Primal Carnage (Asymmetrical multiplayer old school arena)
Tribes (multiplayer old school arena)
Serious Sam
Nexuiz (multiplayer old school arena)
Hard Reset
Resistance 3
Valve titles

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. gets an honourable mention not because it's a classic shooter (although it does have elements) but is an example of a "realistic" shooter done right.

I'm sure there's more but it's too fucking hot to think right now.  :-[
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:20:27 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: November 08, 2012, 05:39:01 pm »

I would do that with a cyberpunk setting, because then it's rational that mercenaries would have the potential to be major world military groups, what with megacorps all over the place.

Plus it means neat toys and abilities, like Gauss rifles or railgun bombardment or lasers, or nanotherapy or cloning or cybernetics, or maybe just using nothing but attack drones and having your elite military corps composed of nothing but 260-lb Cheetos Marines.

Of course, those options are always going to be more expensive than recruiting a couple dozen Danish skinheads and giving them AK-47s and fingerless gloves.

Heck, I'd play this. You could probably mod the combat portions into ARMA... though I'd wait for ARMA 3 to do that.

The Cyberpunk setting is a great idea, I like it. Still was a bad idea to build the base in North Korea though, those cyborgs are scary!

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: November 08, 2012, 06:59:35 pm »

A game where you can throw two large armies at one another and watch who wins. It doesn't even need to be a game, really. Like Gratuitous Space Battles, but could run on a laptop.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1378 on: November 08, 2012, 07:50:41 pm »

ARMA 2 with the Flashpoint Chernarus scenario.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: November 08, 2012, 07:55:55 pm »

snip
snip

SPEC OP is the exact opposite of what you're looking for. It's a biting satire of modern military shooters and uses the mechanics of those games as part of it's message. It might be interesting to pick up if you're interested in that message or you could just watch the Pennyarcade Extra Credits about it.

Ah, oh well.  It just left me with that idea. *shrugs*
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 577