Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926836 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2475 on: June 12, 2013, 02:22:23 am »

An MMO where the world slowly progresses from the creation of the universe to the early ages of existence all the way to the end of time. The first players start as gods, demigods or titans wandering the world, doing battle with eachother for the right to oversee the development of the universe. Then the next  age would see players taking on the roles of proto-mortals, like the Chimer in Elder Scrolls lore, further shaping the universe through the bonds formed and legends recorded. After that comes the age of legendary heroes, when the shape of mortal society has been defined and worship of mortals, rather than gods, becomes commonplace. And so on until the end of time.

Keep in mind I have no idea how any of this would work in the framework of an MMO. Maybe an extremely roleplay-intense MUD with only the most basic of mechanics?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: June 12, 2013, 02:45:21 am »

The Titan players would be universally loathed and envied by all those who came after, as they go around ganking the mortals.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: June 12, 2013, 12:42:10 pm »

The Titan players would be universally loathed and envied by all those who came after, as they go around ganking the mortals.

Nah. You'd either transfer those characters to their own plane of existence where they can only indirectly effect the world (and still have goals and battles and whatnot against each other) or you'd have a system where any given character can only exist until the next age starts.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: June 12, 2013, 02:27:51 pm »

An MMO where you can actually create BRAND new items, metal alloys, armor and the like. Possibly even advance into the industrial age and into the sci-fi stuff if we're going that far.
And of course, building, economy, wars and the like.

Magic is optional, but would spice stuff up a fair bit.

Imagine the following.

The game is fairly early on, and everyone uses "conventional" iron swords (although with fancy blade design) and some blank armor.
THEN comes the guy who, after working in a small mining town, strikes the earth tremendous amounts of a rare mineral with (as-yet) unknown properties.

He then sells it for a fair (but previously unset) price to a local blacksmith, who then forges it into a supposedly-typical sword that even later on is bought by a warrior of some sort.
But when he decided to go hunting for wolves (or something, to feed the aforementioned guys, who I will assume all live in the same village) he notices that the blade lit itself on fire when he pulled it out of the scabbard, which for some reason was made ouf of a material that makes the metal the sword was made out of to start to burn (for sake of simplicity let's say it's copper, I dunno why, though). He decides to screw the wolves and runs back to the blacksmith, all confusion, panic and eureka aside.

He tells the blacksmith (who would be another player, that is) to smelt the sword back into metal bars/whatever and reforge them into arrow tips instead and to also craft a bow out of copper.
Then he gets the arrow tips to the local bowyer that finishes the bow and the arrows, kinda confused about what they were made out of, but he didn't really pay much attention.

Once they're done, the warrior takes the new weapon for a practice run, and is successful - the arrows light themselves on fire when fired from the copper bow as they touch the copper, resulting in nasty and deadly weapon while everyone else is still running iron and wood.

Then they start to mine for of the mineral, buying copper from other villages (assuming that there's no copper in their own mine) and creating the deadly weaponry that they later use to form a small, but efficient military out of, with custom banners and dyed leather armor, and the warrior eventually becomes its...Maybe not yet a king, but a leader, effectively forming a country. (or at least a city-state, since I'm certain that something as unusual as flaming arrows of magical metal would attract a fair society)

So essentially a sudden discovery led to creation of a brand new weapon type and a new force arising.

That is of course, just a mere tip of an iceberg.
Oh, and there are NO NPCs. Everyone is a player. Everyone can and will be killed. Then you can even get to the space era with spaceships, new planets (and the space-era players discovering a planet where another group of earlier-era players still live, which would make them aliens in a way).

I don't know or care how hard it would be to make it work (VERY HARD!), but I'm sure it would be worth it a thousand times over.
There was a similar idea many pages back, but I was too lazy to look for it, or just didn't know what to actually search for.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: June 12, 2013, 04:20:48 pm »

An MMO ... (snip)

There was a similar idea many pages back, but I was too lazy to look for it, or just didn't know what to actually search for.

Sounds like that Universe Project thing that bubbled up some months ago.  That is to say, totally beyond the scope and scale of what can be reasonably simulated on a computer, or assembled in a reasonable time by a AAA dev team.

Unicorn Hunting is all well and good as a dream, but looking for Unicorns IRL is just crazy talk.  ;)
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: June 12, 2013, 05:01:35 pm »

A simple, yet probably interesting idea: co-op shooter where the players are a crew of a AC-130 Gunship. Or probably modified, prototype, stealth-capable XAC-190 Gunship, which could fly its missions all over the world, with various players piloting, navigating and firing all kinds of weapons (air-to-ground and air-to-air). Possibly a four-player squad, with pilot, navigator-leader (who would design targets), AtA weapons controller and AtG weapons controller. With a few different mission types: CAS (blow up the enemies, don't let your guys get all killed), CT operations (find the specific person/vehicle and destroy), gun-run (over enemy territory, destroy as much as you can and come back in one piece), Aggressive Spying (get a few photos of an object, leaving as little evidence of your presence as possible; including blowing up radars or something like that), Precision strikes (like CT operations, but in friendly/civilian area, with looking out not to kill innocent people).
Somewhat specific, but I really like those mission in all Call of Battlefield games. ;)
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: June 12, 2013, 08:34:57 pm »

Eve NOT Online
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: June 12, 2013, 09:58:56 pm »

Actually that might be cool, with some more story elements, i'd try that. I just hope it wouldnt be test drive: EVE edition.

I'd like a melee/fighting game with a realistic damage system and the ability to swing your weapon any way you want, kinda like a mix between toribash/overgrowth/m&b.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: June 12, 2013, 11:45:46 pm »

Actually that might be cool, with some more story elements, i'd try that. I just hope it wouldnt be test drive: EVE edition.

I'd like a melee/fighting game with a realistic damage system and the ability to swing your weapon any way you want, kinda like a mix between toribash/overgrowth/m&b.

We all know what game got the realistic damage system part...
Dunno about the free-swinging part, though.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: June 12, 2013, 11:59:42 pm »

A bloody violent Wii-control game done right with LoZ/Dark Souls style combat, and immense equipment diversity.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:13:27 am by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: June 13, 2013, 01:12:37 am »

Eve NOT Online
The X series is somewhat similar, and has a great deal of mods if you're bored with the standard universe.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: June 13, 2013, 04:10:35 am »

Die by the Sword.   I'd actually be really interested in seeing what a modern update to that game could accomplish.  It was very impressive for its time.  Although I only got to play the demo.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: June 13, 2013, 06:28:28 am »

A game that is intentionally programmed with glitches. The glitches themselves, once found, give a very creepypasta-esque effect. If you've even heard of Lavender Town Syndrome, chances are you know what I mean.

The difference is though, these glitches are actually glitches, not completely intentional graphical effects as in some fan-made "hacks" of Pokemon games designed to resemble creepypasta. This game is more likely to be an accident than a response to any sort of demand, but I think it would still make a more exciting horror experience than the whole Slender game phenomenon (ZING!).
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: June 13, 2013, 07:07:27 am »

A game that is intentionally programmed with glitches. The glitches themselves, once found, give a very creepypasta-esque effect. If you've even heard of Lavender Town Syndrome, chances are you know what I mean.

The difference is though, these glitches are actually glitches, not completely intentional graphical effects as in some fan-made "hacks" of Pokemon games designed to resemble creepypasta. This game is more likely to be an accident than a response to any sort of demand, but I think it would still make a more exciting horror experience than the whole Slender game phenomenon (ZING!).
You can get a similar effect by corrupting older games. YouTube has some good examples.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 577