Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 911701 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3405 on: November 30, 2013, 10:40:55 am »

Are there any more than just 3079, or are they elsewhere than steam?

Searching 30[6|7|8]9 and only 3079 came up. I threw it on my wishlist to keep an eye out for sales (though it was only released this month so might not go on sale at all).
3079 is the last fully released, 3089 is in development.

3059 had the classic Ascii 2D graphics.
3069 was the dev's first attempt for 3D graphics, I think. And you can see that on the screenshots.
3079 is the one I played, and it is available on steam, desura, etc ... You can get the Demo if you want to test it ;)
3089 is in development, but already available in demo/beta. the development seems to be at a fairly early stage, and the demo is really limited (10 minutes plays, on save/load, no special items (Grappling hook, Teleport, and other things)... I don't think the quest trees are relevant when you can only play for 10 minutes runs ... :/

3079 has a better demo, and 3089 is an improved sequel, so you should try the 3079 demo, if you want to test the game ;)

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: December 01, 2013, 01:21:38 pm »

A good open world voxel pirate/sailor/whaler simulator.
I saw exactly that on Kickstarter a while ago. I don't know if it succeeded or what is was called. Sorry for being vague and unhelpful.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: December 01, 2013, 02:31:08 pm »

Pixel Piracy? I'm pretty sure it's not voxel, as it's 2d, but it's open world and on greenlight. The devs actually had people from Bay12 help with playtesting.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: December 02, 2013, 02:39:45 am »

No, that's completely different. What I saw was distinctly a three dimensional voxel based alpha.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: December 02, 2013, 11:52:29 pm »

I'd just be happy if it made freelook a toggle-able option. Computer mice probably weren't common back then, but you think id of all people would have the foresight to at least include the option.

Are you referring to Quake 1?... Because I played that back when it was new, and only played it keyboard-only like Doom for a couple weeks, before discovering mouselook.  It was definitely in there from the beginning.  I cannot overstate how groundbreaking that game was, and Id definitely saw the full potential of what they'd made.  The '96-'98 are still my favorite years of PC gaming, just because of Quake's modding community.  The best there's ever been.  There was something new and innovative to try every single day.  Primarily because the engine had unlocked such a vast expanse of new gameplay potential, and the emphasis was on exploring that instead of attempting AAA production quality, like most mod teams do these days.

Reminds me.... there's one thing I really miss every time I think about it that was really popular in the days of Quake 1, and then mysteriously disappeared from FPS games.  The grappling hook.  Where the hell did the grappling hook go?  So much fun.  Especially in CTF.  There was nothing like swinging solo into an enemy base like an adrenaline-crazed spiderman, grabbing the flag, and dodging your way back through a bunch of dense architecture with explosions all around you... back on the original CTF, where the flag was a gold or silver key... before it was even called Threewave :P

Really, every other FPS I've ever played since then feels so limited in movement, plus so much emphasis on high-damage hitscan weapons.  I miss extended acrobatic duels that made heavy use of maneuvering through the environment to deny your enemy a good shot, instead of hiding behind cover.  The level designs that incorporated so many accessible vertical tiers in every room, not to provide cover for tactical movement and ambushes, but to provide interesting spaces to maneuver through.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: December 03, 2013, 04:44:45 am »

I'd just be happy if it made freelook a toggle-able option. Computer mice probably weren't common back then, but you think id of all people would have the foresight to at least include the option.

Are you referring to Quake 1?... Because I played that back when it was new, and only played it keyboard-only like Doom for a couple weeks, before discovering mouselook.  It was definitely in there from the beginning.

When I played, there was a button that you had to hold for freelook, and otherwise you could only turn on a horizontal axis like Doom. To be clear, 'free look' is being able to look in all directions.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: December 03, 2013, 07:06:46 am »

I never played quake 1, but quake 2 had an option in the settings for always freelook, and had a button to toggle freelok.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: December 03, 2013, 07:49:50 am »

Are you referring to Quake 1?... Because I played that back when it was new, and only played it keyboard-only like Doom for a couple weeks, before discovering mouselook.  It was definitely in there from the beginning.

When I played, there was a button that you had to hold for freelook, and otherwise you could only turn on a horizontal axis like Doom. To be clear, 'free look' is being able to look in all directions.

IIRC, there was a box in the options labeled "Mouselook", and all you had to do was check that.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: December 03, 2013, 09:30:31 am »

I checked that and it only let me look left-right like Doom, I had to use the 'free look' key to look in every direction.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: December 03, 2013, 09:42:23 am »

I recently picked up Duke Nukem 3D at GoG, and to use your mouse to look around you had to do some strange DOSBox wizardry :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: December 03, 2013, 10:09:34 am »

I think it was for Quake that I set the "mouselook" to right mouse button, and I just kept it held the whole time.

Annoying, but better than no mouselook. (also yeah, mouselook was one of those newfangled things nobody had thought before, so it's not surprising that they didnt give it much importance)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: December 03, 2013, 05:06:07 pm »

I remember having a full 3D control of your view in Quake, but I don't remember having to change any settings for it. Maybe the first version I played was a few iterations from the original release and selected the setting by default?

Also, nostalgia trip. I played a lot of a mod called Future versus Fantasy. It added a bunch of classes with various unique weapons (some suck, some awesome), including monks which could fly and throw fireballs, ninjas which could grapple around and throw knives which could critical hit, a berserker class which just an axe for a weapon and a torch that would cancel flight/grapple, new game modes (mainly Diety mode, which is kind of like capture the flag, only there's only one flag and it turns you into a powerful unique class with a bunch of abilities to wreck havoc and buff and heal your team). It even had levels and experience, dealing more damage at higher levels, or improving various class aspects and health. It eventually did a total conversion of the single player "campaign" with all new levels and mobs and could be played co-op. It was pretty awesome but I don't think it was necessarily popular (either because people didn't like it or preferred other mods like CTF and RuneDM or RuneCTF, or just didn't know about it).

The team eventually tried to release a stand-alone version on a new engine. There was a few playable beta versions but I don't think it got anywhere. Actually, I wonder what happened to them...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: December 03, 2013, 06:02:15 pm »

You're a recluse who lives in the middle of a city in a house. You can never leave, and in fact you need to upgrade your Gumption to leave the house to enter your yard (which has a tall fence around it). You need to convert your house into growing space for edibles, catch stray birds to coop for eggs, and try to pay your bills. If you can't afford your water bill, for example, you could set up a water catchment system but you risk disease from tainted standing water. If you can't afford electricity you might be able to set up a generator attached to an exercise bike or small solar panel. Then you can try to pay your Internet bill so you can order stuff online! It should also be possible to convince the pizza man to come inside whereupon you ambush him with a pan and hide him in the basement freezer.

So basically, The Sims with some minor modifications.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: December 03, 2013, 09:45:49 pm »

I remember having a full 3D control of your view in Quake, but I don't remember having to change any settings for it. Maybe the first version I played was a few iterations from the original release and selected the setting by default?

Also, nostalgia trip. I played a lot of a mod called Future versus Fantasy. It added a bunch of classes with various unique weapons (some suck, some awesome), including monks which could fly and throw fireballs, ninjas which could grapple around and throw knives which could critical hit, a berserker class which just an axe for a weapon and a torch that would cancel flight/grapple, new game modes (mainly Diety mode, which is kind of like capture the flag, only there's only one flag and it turns you into a powerful unique class with a bunch of abilities to wreck havoc and buff and heal your team). It even had levels and experience, dealing more damage at higher levels, or improving various class aspects and health. It eventually did a total conversion of the single player "campaign" with all new levels and mobs and could be played co-op. It was pretty awesome but I don't think it was necessarily popular (either because people didn't like it or preferred other mods like CTF and RuneDM or RuneCTF, or just didn't know about it).

The team eventually tried to release a stand-alone version on a new engine. There was a few playable beta versions but I don't think it got anywhere. Actually, I wonder what happened to them...

I loved Future vs Fantasy.  It was my favorite.  I played it a lot.  It competed directly against Team Fortress (which I also played a ton), as they were the first two major mods to take a class-based approach to the game.  And I do mean they directly competed.  There was quite a bit of friction between the two, and I think I remember reading stuff from the creators of each one putting down each other's work.  Team Fortress beat it out in popularity quite a lot, so FvF faded into obscurity.  I think it's just because CTF was so incredibly popular back then, and that was the core of TF's gameplay, while FvF tried to do different things.

But it's not completely dead.  There are still some people who play it.  Hap, the original creator, still maintains a small website dedicated to it, and I think there's a server up 24/7 that still runs it.

Website
Forum

My favorite was Purge mode, where two teams raced for control of an altar.  First person who touched it became The Deity.  That character was incredibly powerful and difficult to kill, but couldn't leave the room containing the altar.  They also provided boosts to their team.  The team who had the deity would try to protect him, while the other team tried to kill him so they could take the altar for themselves.  I wonder how that same formula would do if modded into a modern FPS?

Purge: Jihad was also the name of the stand-alone sequel that failed, though I think it did see a full release.  It just never gathered enough of a player-base to sustain itself.

As for the mouselook thing, I just checked my copy and there is a "Use Mouse" toggle in the options.  I think maybe that was added in with Quakeworld, and before that you had to open up the console and type "+mlook".

I could talk about Quake all day...
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: December 05, 2013, 05:51:06 pm »

-snip-
I would actually be interested in that. Reminds me of a book I read once.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 577