Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 905217 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3570 on: February 05, 2014, 08:48:23 pm »

Urist McScoopbeard, I've been trying to articulate that for a few years now.

Closest I can get is "Engineering".

I want to make Bay12 take over a server on a multiplayer game by inventing the Maxim gun in a world of bolt-action rifles.

That sort of thing.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: February 05, 2014, 08:57:22 pm »

Various games have modding tools you could use to create virtually any weapon you could imagine.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: February 05, 2014, 09:14:59 pm »

Agreed, the problem being who will see it? I don't want an awesome gun to shoot at a wall or a cardboard cutout. I want to test it against other people. Furthermore, I want there to be mechanics involved. I don't want to model a gun, and code trajectories. I want universal physics and the ability to make a gun out of parts, whence these parts come? I don't know, from everywhere to make it fair! Player uploaded parts, part-packs, vanilla stuff.

But maybe that's still just choosing from options. So you're right, tools. A game with copious amounts of tools to make sounds, and parts, and ammunition to be used against other people in combat. There would be no limitations, only the matches would be scaled/leveled/balanced by destructive outputs of weapons.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: February 05, 2014, 09:18:43 pm »

Modding tools isn't the idea.

The idea is simulation.

The real world doesn't have a balance committee analyzing everything. We have physical laws.
Computers are good at modeling rules, but there hasn't been much real development in the field of procedural, physics-based interactions. Subversion would have been a step in that direction, but it got cancelled.

FAKEEDIT: Ninjad

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: February 05, 2014, 09:35:56 pm »

In a multiplayer game a lack of balance makes customization moot.  There will be an optimal way of doing things that everyone does, and if someone finds a better way everyone will use that way.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3575 on: February 06, 2014, 03:59:23 am »

--- WoT game ---
I'd just like to add this would be an awesome RPG all-around, with or without WoT setting.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: February 06, 2014, 04:33:20 am »

--- WoT game ---
I'd just like to add this would be an awesome RPG all-around, with or without WoT setting.

There was, in fact, a game made based on the Wheel of Time series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time_(video_game).

I really can't say anything else about it since I've never played it nor have I read the series but it looks like a third person action RPG like Gothic or Dark Messiah.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: February 06, 2014, 04:48:29 am »

--- WoT game ---

There was, in fact, a game made based on the Wheel of Time series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time_(video_game).

I really can't say anything else about it since I've never played it nor have I read the series but it looks like a third person action RPG like Gothic or Dark Messiah.

Dark Messiah was not third person. [/nitpick]
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: February 06, 2014, 04:53:38 am »

Ah, you're right. Hmm... like Gothic or Severance then.  :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: February 06, 2014, 06:14:51 am »

I've got a couple of games that I wish existed, but I'll just go ahead and type this one out since I've seen the Acronym WoT thrown around a lot today.  Be warned, there might be some Wheel of Time spoilers, if you care.  I just don't know how to types this out without actually throwing in some spoilers.

I want a game based in the Wheel of Time universe.  I want the game to be sort of canonical, but I don't want to actually be one of the main characters.  I don't even want to be one of the hundreds of secondary, or even tertiary characters in the books.  I want the hero/ine to be a completely player created thing.  I want you to be able to see the actions of the main cast of the books as the story progresses, but I don't actually want you yourself to be able to change any of the big events.  I want to see the Dragon Reborn meet his destiny at Shayol Ghul, I want to see him be recognized at Toman Head.  I want to watch him go from tall, gangly farm-boy to resplendent king with all of his laurels, and then into the man he finally knows to be himself.

Maybe you could pitch the idea to Turbine. They seem to have done an okay job turning Lord of the Rings from fantasy into MMO-fare, while not only taking place at the time of the books but also integrating your character into some literary events (as supporting characters outsides of those events, though it cuts pretty close in the newest expansion). I felt they also did a good job filling the world with tasks for standard MMO-fare heroes, including vast areas of dangerous creatures that I don't think were ever explicitly explored in the books (like Angmar or Forochel). But I guess it's an MMO, which you did not specify and may not want. (The combat/ability mechanics could also be vastly improved, but I am only suggesting that the team handled the translation from book to game well.)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: February 06, 2014, 06:17:19 am »

--- WoT game ---

The very first line of the WoT game you linked there says it's a first person shooter. I've played it, it's basically hexen; your character is a female Aes Sedai, it takes place far after the books [at the time there were only about 8 books?], who can't really channel but is really good with ter'angreal, which basically function as guns/weapons.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: February 06, 2014, 02:16:56 pm »

What's the optimal strategy in our universe?

Depends what you're trying to do and what resources are available to you, and the problem space is large enough you cannot be confident that any maxima you find isn't just local.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: February 06, 2014, 02:21:23 pm »

A punishing "hell" game that isn't an IWBTG clone or Dark/Demon's Souls. Why aren't there any ultra-hard  modern first person shooters or beatemups that I've heard of? Ones that are designed to be brutal, not just ones that have a hard mode.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:23:08 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: February 06, 2014, 02:39:57 pm »

Because, taking a walk and having your brains strewn casually about the pavement by a guy you can't see from over half-a-mile away is a lot less fun than a guy who can kill you from an arguably easier to dodge sword.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: February 06, 2014, 02:41:31 pm »

What about ARMA series??
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 577