Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 904687 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3585 on: February 06, 2014, 02:43:51 pm »

Well, if you want a beatemup like that, godhand is pretty hard.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: February 06, 2014, 02:56:57 pm »

Because, taking a walk and having your brains strewn casually about the pavement by a guy you can't see from over half-a-mile away is a lot less fun than a guy who can kill you from an arguably easier to dodge sword.

That presumes all FPSs take place in very open environments with long-range weaponry. Take SWAT 4 - it's all close-quarters, and punishing as fuck (although partially due to the need to follow the procedures instead of the usual FPS far of shoot first, teabag later).

@itsnotlogical, did you try Hotline Miami yet? It might scratch that itch. Or, as I mentioned, SWAT series.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: February 06, 2014, 03:04:08 pm »

What about ARMA series??

ARMA isn't extraordinarly punishing.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: February 06, 2014, 03:11:11 pm »

What about ARMA series??

ARMA isn't extraordinarly punishing.

Isn't? I thought it was supposed to be hyper realistic to the point of a single bullet on you being more than capable of killing you off.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: February 06, 2014, 03:15:28 pm »

Well, ARMA 2 is really punishing because you lose instantly if any of your squad dies, and they're too stupid to keep themselves alive.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: February 06, 2014, 03:32:17 pm »

A horror-survival FPS where you play as either one of a generic squad or as one of the monsters hunting them. there are 2 monsters in any given round, which are randomly selected from a pool (both are always different).
 The players are not informed which monsters are in play - they range from one that can see & walk through walls, and has 1 hit kills, but makes lights flicker regularly (as opposed to randomly as they would normally) when nearby; one that can insta-kill multiple players if they're standing near to each other; a parasite that can occupy the corpse of its last kill (the game doesn't show player names at all to mess with team speak slightly); one that can climb on ceilings and drop down onto players, hanging them from the ceiling; one that can charge rapidly towards the cursor, killing whatever it hits on the way, but is paralysed when a player looks directly at it; one that is completely invisible, but has to make itself visible and makes a loud noise to make a kill - etc... You get the picture.

As the game progresses, the setting begins to break down - lights randomly flicker and fail, with an increased chance the further the game progresses. If players act in certain ways - being alone, being in darkness, standing still for too long, seeing other players with high fear, seeing other players killed - their 'fear' level increases. This causes shadows to seem darker, the reticule to shake, a small chance of randomly tripping whilst running, and random mild hallucinations (such as motion blurs on the peripheral vision)
 Oh, and friendly fire is a thing, so shooting anything that moves is not a good idea.

An ideal player:monster ratio would be ~8:1, though that's far from fixed. The monsters win when all players are dead. Players win when all mosters are dead, although other modes might subdivide the players further and see them compete for sub goals. At the end of a round, different players become the monsters, and the monster types change.

Don't think I've missed anything.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

blazing glory

« Reply #3591 on: February 06, 2014, 04:13:03 pm »

A horror-survival FPS where you play as either one of a generic squad or as one of the monsters hunting them. there are 2 monsters in any given round, which are randomly selected from a pool (both are always different).
 The players are not informed which monsters are in play - they range from one that can see & walk through walls, and has 1 hit kills, but makes lights flicker regularly (as opposed to randomly as they would normally) when nearby; one that can insta-kill multiple players if they're standing near to each other; a parasite that can occupy the corpse of its last kill (the game doesn't show player names at all to mess with team speak slightly); one that can climb on ceilings and drop down onto players, hanging them from the ceiling; one that can charge rapidly towards the cursor, killing whatever it hits on the way, but is paralysed when a player looks directly at it; one that is completely invisible, but has to make itself visible and makes a loud noise to make a kill - etc... You get the picture.

As the game progresses, the setting begins to break down - lights randomly flicker and fail, with an increased chance the further the game progresses. If players act in certain ways - being alone, being in darkness, standing still for too long, seeing other players with high fear, seeing other players killed - their 'fear' level increases. This causes shadows to seem darker, the reticule to shake, a small chance of randomly tripping whilst running, and random mild hallucinations (such as motion blurs on the peripheral vision)
 Oh, and friendly fire is a thing, so shooting anything that moves is not a good idea.

An ideal player:monster ratio would be ~8:1, though that's far from fixed. The monsters win when all players are dead. Players win when all mosters are dead, although other modes might subdivide the players further and see them compete for sub goals. At the end of a round, different players become the monsters, and the monster types change.

Don't think I've missed anything.
Sound's interesting

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: February 06, 2014, 04:58:25 pm »

Not really a game but I'd like for a shooter or something to have the knifegun. Now before you say that FEAR had that, not that gun. More specifically some sort of teleportation/knife manipulation weapon. It teleports bigass knives (of varying shapes) behind enemies before pulling them trough them. Of course you don't have to teleport them. If there are knives in the area you can simply go gravity-gun on them and toss those around, double points for taking knives off of enemies only to stab their freinds with them.
Of course at one point you will need to find yourself in a rail factory, and of course the devs thought of everything and are counting said rails as rather large stabbing implements. Much fun is had.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: February 06, 2014, 06:31:20 pm »

In a multiplayer game a lack of balance makes customization moot.  There will be an optimal way of doing things that everyone does, and if someone finds a better way everyone will use that way.
I think the way to balance this is to not let players just copy things. If you capture a really good vehicle you need to take it apart piece by piece if you want to figure out exactly how to make it yourself. Then you need to be able to make the pieces. In real life ideas are frequently stolen but implemented differently, or wrong, and it fails to be better than the thing you spent time developing yourself. And if, for example, the metallurgy is beyond the thief's ability to duplicate, maybe he can copy the shape of the vehicle parts exactly but certain parts fail because they're put under too much stress. Also if he wants to create these vehicles he's going to have to retool factories to produce the parts. Meanwhile you're still pumping out these vehicles and his men are still having to fight against them. When his men capture one of your vehicles they can't keep it fighting very long because they don't have the right replacement parts, and possibly fuel / ammo / other consumables. By the time he has copied your design well enough and fielded large numbers of your vehicle, you've already developed a generation or two ahead.

In reality, it would be more like:

Player A: See I have a sweet gun I made.
Player B: Can I haz blueprints?
Player A: No, because I want to be the only one who has it.
Player B: *Kills him, takes gun*
Player B: *Tries to duplicate by hand, can't because he's a dumbass*
Player B: *Gives gun to friend who designs stuff*
Player C: I'll put the blueprints I made by reverse-engineering this on a forum.
Players D-T: Now I have an imperfect version of A's gun.
Players U-Z: We don't have anything because we're out of the loop.
Player A: That's OK because I was cool enough to develop the original gun, now I refined it into something a little better.

There's no reason to believe it would end up any worse than Minecraft, where people come up with cool designs for secret doors and stuff, and others can copy them. Except this game would have more complex designs, meaning a smaller population of players would be able to follow the steps.

Then you've got player investment in character skills. Will you spend your effort developing design and manufacture on your character or just fighting? You can always buy stuff from players so it's not like you need to design.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: February 06, 2014, 06:36:01 pm »

I like where this is all going, I wish I had enough programming skill to make this a reality!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: February 06, 2014, 06:38:27 pm »

I like where this is all going, I wish I had enough programming skill to make this a reality!
That's what tends to happen with everything-simulators. I don't think there's anyone who specifically wants one to not exist.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: February 06, 2014, 06:44:39 pm »

That's what tends to happen with everything-simulators. I don't think there's anyone who specifically wants one to not exist.

its not an everything simulator, unfortunately.

EDIT: let me clarify, it's an everything gun relates simulator. I'm not asking for the universe, or realistic physics, just an stupid, ridiculous, impossible amount of gun customization.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:08:15 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: February 06, 2014, 07:08:46 pm »

Yeah you know that vehicle combat game where you build your vehicle? I wish every game had that kind of stuff in it. Let me make a stupid tank with lots of armor and a big gun but it can hardly move, or a VTOL vectored-thrust drone, or a helicopter-propeller-plane-hybrid. Or a tank with propellers around it to slice up infantry.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

blazing glory

« Reply #3598 on: February 06, 2014, 09:31:19 pm »

Yeah you know that vehicle combat game where you build your vehicle? I wish every game had that kind of stuff in it. Let me make a stupid tank with lots of armor and a big gun but it can hardly move, or a VTOL vectored-thrust drone, or a helicopter-propeller-plane-hybrid. Or a tank with propellers around it to slice up infantry.
What's the game called?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: February 06, 2014, 10:26:35 pm »

How about a game with modding tools, where said mods could be dynamically uploaded and downloaded to servers. Sort of like Second Life (but an actual game). Said tools would be reasonably accessable, or come in a easy-version and a technical-version (like Portal's Map Maker and Valve Hammer).

Although I do see people leaning towards insta-kill cheat guns, because people in multiplayer games seem to be largely boring and select the most efficient, optimal route to success.

I would be interested in something like that, giving the player true freedom to create rather than simply longer lists of options to choose between.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 577