Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 912628 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3600 on: February 06, 2014, 10:58:34 pm »

In most multiplayer games losing involves losing/slowing progress through the game, or being rendered unable to play it temporarily.  Also, you can't expect people to not be boring and effective when one guy who's being boring and effective can kill all the people who aren't.

Generally the only time people in multiplayer games can be trusted to play nice is when there isn't random matching, AKA people know each other and if you're an ass people will stop playing with you.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: February 06, 2014, 11:21:33 pm »

Personally, I love games where there's enough balance for assholery potential.

"Hmm, a lot of people use this build because it's damn good, and it's weaknesses are cover-able. Let's find the one chink and EXPLOIT THE FUCK OUT OF IT WITH COUNTERCLASSES"

get called a noob, among other things
cause ragequits, because people want their build to work no matter what, because "why should i build a class"
this is the only reason I even play CoD games anymore.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: February 06, 2014, 11:28:56 pm »

I know. Its one of the reasons I dont like MMO's, their precision-engineered balance reduces your choices to very carefully selected options, all your options and paths have already been planned out for you on a whiteboard in a sterile office enviroment somewhere.

But I dont blame the designers for that, its sort of a requirement for multiplayer games because as you said, the players will tend towards the most efficient strategy.

What I said is just what I would like from my POV, something that favoured creativity over victory.

*sigh* There are so few games like that.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: February 07, 2014, 02:16:07 am »

I know. Its one of the reasons I dont like MMO's, their precision-engineered balance reduces your choices to very carefully selected options, all your options and paths have already been planned out for you on a whiteboard in a sterile office enviroment somewhere.

But I dont blame the designers for that, its sort of a requirement for multiplayer games because as you said, the players will tend towards the most efficient strategy.

What I said is just what I would like from my POV, something that favoured creativity over victory.

*sigh* There are so few games like that.

Secondlife is like that no? All about creation rather than winning? Actual games have winning as a precondition to gameiness.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: February 07, 2014, 02:59:09 am »

The problem is that creativity is most valuable competitively in constantly changing or unsolved games/problems. But modern games are usually too simple/static for creativity to be useful after the easy optimal solutions are quickly found.

A game with constantly shifting content/balance or that evolves over time infinitely might reward creativity more.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: February 07, 2014, 03:06:25 am »

The problem is that creativity is most valuable competitively in constantly changing or unsolved games/problems. But modern games are usually too simple/static for creativity to be useful after the easy optimal solutions are quickly found.

A game with constantly shifting content/balance or that evolves over time infinitely might reward creativity more.

It's pretty much basic evolution. If the environment is perfectly stable, solutions approach local optimum and then there's no room to innovate.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: February 07, 2014, 03:12:10 am »

It's pretty much basic evolution. If the environment is perfectly stable, solutions approach local optimum and then there's no room to innovate.

Would this be why World of Warcraft keeps coming out with patches adjusting the classes?

While I don't play DOTA or really play Team Fortress 2, those games seem to kick up the existing balance by introducing new characters or weapons rather then adjusting current ones constantly.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: February 07, 2014, 04:33:56 am »

Secondlife is like that no? All about creation rather than winning? Actual games have winning as a precondition to gameiness.

Stated on a forum about a game with no victory conditions :P

I should emphasise the use of the word "favour" (I never used the word "All"). A more loose, casual competitive enviroment might foster something like that. There may still some goal or victory condition, but not everyone is as hellbent on accomplishing that goal (A "losing is fun" mentality might just help here).

Second Life has about the right idea in regards to the way "modding" works though.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: February 07, 2014, 04:49:34 am »

Yeah you know that vehicle combat game where you build your vehicle? I wish every game had that kind of stuff in it. Let me make a stupid tank with lots of armor and a big gun but it can hardly move, or a VTOL vectored-thrust drone, or a helicopter-propeller-plane-hybrid. Or a tank with propellers around it to slice up infantry.
What's the game called?

I believe WarZone 2100 is what he's on about. This certainly fits the bill

Wait, tanks with propellers? This sounds amazing.

blazing glory

« Reply #3609 on: February 07, 2014, 05:31:51 am »

Yeah you know that vehicle combat game where you build your vehicle? I wish every game had that kind of stuff in it. Let me make a stupid tank with lots of armor and a big gun but it can hardly move, or a VTOL vectored-thrust drone, or a helicopter-propeller-plane-hybrid. Or a tank with propellers around it to slice up infantry.
What's the game called?

Even more reason to find out what this game's called.

EDIT I'm doubtful but he might be reffering to roboforge,though it's a low chance since it doesn't have VTOL vectored thrust drone capability nor infantry to slice up
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:35:24 am by blazing glory »

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: February 07, 2014, 07:04:48 am »

What's the game called?

EDIT I'm doubtful but he might be reffering to roboforge,though it's a low chance since it doesn't have VTOL vectored thrust drone capability nor infantry to slice up
I know a game that's REALLY close to this. I just can't remember the name anymore.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: February 07, 2014, 07:40:49 am »

What's the game called?

I know a game that's REALLY close to this. I just can't remember the name anymore.

It's called Spore, before they fucked it up :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: February 07, 2014, 07:54:45 am »

What's the game called?

It's called Spore, before they fucked it up :P

I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: February 07, 2014, 09:10:39 am »

BAhajajahahahahahaha you made my day!! Signed!!!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: February 07, 2014, 09:14:49 am »

-snip-

I'm thinking more of a bottom feeder, preying on species living close to the bottom of the sea.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 577