Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 904893 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3660 on: February 27, 2014, 10:51:09 pm »

Still, didn't the difficulty of reliably producing low-brittleness steel influence the focus on lighter weapons (spears, polearms, and long thin razor swords) instead of warhammers and broadswords?

TheMastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: February 28, 2014, 02:28:59 pm »

What if the world ended tomorrow?
Create yourself (or whatever you want, if you're a party pooper) in the character creation stage, to see how YOU will fare in an end world scenario. With a very detailed character sheet and character quiz in, create yourself as close as possible, including information like: country, languages, professional and educational resume and personality.
After character creation starts the world generation stage, where it will simulate the world ending (with a selection of different moddable ways: alien invasion, armageddon, meteorite hit, zombies) the next day. Then (because it will be hard to simulate the whole world), you will be thrown in a "getting lost" scenario (plane crashing, vcation trip on a boat, but it will always be on an island or island group, so it can be easily simulated) which will put you somewhere proceduraly generated, with random environments and other people, and see how you survive.

The game is handled similarly to "Crusader kings 2", where the locations and things on the map are resembled in a pretty abstract way, with a great emphasis on character relationship and interaction, you will have to manage resources, mange people (if they will listen to you...), crafting items and the usual things, to try and stay alive.

A variant of this would be a low fantasy world where you form an expedition to a new land, you need to manage your settlements and send adventurers to explore dungeons. an highlight of this variant would be sending a group the a certain dungeon to kill the unique white Minotaur, taking the corpse back to the settlement so the blacksmith can powder his horns to mix them with steel and make a magical weapon, and a witch using the creature's heart for a dark ritual.

i can expend on this because it's an idea i have been having for a long time and would really want to make it happen :D 

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: February 28, 2014, 03:47:19 pm »

Mastermind I would kickstart that. As long as you could include all kinda of actually useless skills like "Blogger" and "Playing flash games" which people can use to create their self-insertion character.

That would be so awesome.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: February 28, 2014, 03:53:02 pm »

I want a game set in Antarctica. Any kind of supernatural or other such things should be kept extremely subtle and ambiguous, because there's plenty of non-fictional weird stuff in Antarctica already, though the ambiguity could be a great source of atmosphere. Perhaps not all of Antarctica, but exploring one of the dry valleys and an adjacent glacier. Basically, you're trying to figure out something that happened, and get free roam of the map while trying to survive and figure it out.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: February 28, 2014, 03:54:22 pm »

I wouldn't mind getting an RPG of some sorts (possibly D&D-like, maybe Dark Souls-ish) done for the setting we're making in the "Create a Setting" thread.  Fifteen ways for the world to go out in style, a couple of races to choose from, and the flora and fauna are out to kill you like nobodies' business.  The world keeps getting more and more metal, what's not to like?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: February 28, 2014, 04:06:39 pm »

I wouldn't mind getting an RPG of some sorts (possibly D&D-like, maybe Dark Souls-ish) done for the setting we're making in the "Create a Setting" thread.  Fifteen ways for the world to go out in style, a couple of races to choose from, and the flora and fauna are out to kill you like nobodies' business.  The world keeps getting more and more metal, what's not to like?
A Dark-Souls style game in that world would be extremely awesome. There's a great potential for the kind of atmosphere DS had, as well as a central impending-doom thing common to most mythologies of the world that could be the only (semi)-clear plot point, leaving the players to speculate endlessly on the little clues left by the game environment.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: February 28, 2014, 04:15:56 pm »

The only thing about it is that you would have to vacate most/all of the residents, and possibly the only race left (or that you would interact with) would be the Moulds or the Maggot-men, if you were going for a Dark Souls-esque game anyway.  Possibly your character could be one of the Mould, but with his/her connection to the Hivemind severed.  Oh man, yeah the more I think about it, the more awesome it gets.  You'd be able to find lore scribbled into walls or journal entries everywhere, along with the items giving descriptions of the people themselves.  You'd finally get to a clear area where there's a giant forest, and think you're going to have some time to just relax and be able to take a break, when the roots of the trees start grabbing for you, trying to drag you into their giant maws.

I would throw all of my money at this game.

EDIT:  I just had the horrible thought of you killing the lava squids, thinking they're mindless creatures.  Later on you get a couple of items and start reading their descriptions and suddenly realize you've been slaughtering the last remaining souls of a sapient race. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:17:54 pm by Karkov »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: February 28, 2014, 05:30:28 pm »

And of course there'd need to be very sparse scattering on NPC's, of questionable trustworthiness.

Damn, I had an idea for some kind of game but I lost it.

TheMastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: February 28, 2014, 07:48:16 pm »

Mastermind I would kickstart that. As long as you could include all kinda of actually useless skills like "Blogger" and "Playing flash games" which people can use to create their self-insertion character.

That would be so awesome.

Useless galore. But the point is less about these "hobby" and time wasting skills, but real world skills that are useless in a world ending scenario: programming, journalism, acting, musicians, real estate brokers. On the other end, some people may have jobs and things that will benefit their survival skills: Athlete, soldier, policeman, farmers, and even some rare wood and metal working modern people.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: February 28, 2014, 08:06:01 pm »

Ah, I remembered

So I was pretty impressed with DCSS' mutation system. I'd like a game with an even more extensive mutation system, whereby characters could mutate into a wide variety of forms composed of specific mutations until they were no longer recognizable as whatever their original species was, with all kinds of benefits and disadvantages.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3670 on: March 01, 2014, 04:43:33 pm »

A game about a giant statue that was built to guard a temple. At intervals (100 years or so) intruders arrive who are trying to steal the treasure or relic or whatever. The levels get harder as time passes, the temple and the statue guardian grow older (the rotting or wearing temple offers stage changes as it falls into disrepair and parts collapse), the secondary traps and pitfalls stop working or are used up, the followers who kept the place up die out or are disillusioned and migrate, the intruders are further well equipped and armed, and the temple begins to become well known (if you allow lots of survivors). The intruder groups will either be a single or several heroes who use their natural prowess to outsmart the statue, or large expeditions of normals who have to try and overpower it, and of course mixes of the two. It'd mostly operate on the basis of the temple's powerful defenses slowly being worn down over time. When played well the game will end over a thousand years later, with an aging statue whose movements are jerky and slow from the wear on his body, wielding a weapon covered in rust, defending something whose progenitors no longer remember or care about it, against an enemy that's bound to win.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:45:29 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: March 01, 2014, 05:04:51 pm »

Ah, I remembered

So I was pretty impressed with DCSS' mutation system. I'd like a game with an even more extensive mutation system, whereby characters could mutate into a wide variety of forms composed of specific mutations until they were no longer recognizable as whatever their original species was, with all kinds of benefits and disadvantages.
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is well on it's way to a mutation system like that right now, with a ton of mutations in lots of different categories (course it's a lot less aimed then DCSS is, but if all you are looking for is a mutation system... :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: March 01, 2014, 06:17:04 pm »

I think part of the draw of a game like that would be seeing your guy's mutations, as opposed to the game saying 'You have tentacle arms! All schoolgirls flee in terror!'
All the schoolgirls are zombies.   They aren't fleeing in terror.  You're the one fleeing in terror.
Speaking of that, Cataclysm with an option to switch to first person.  You'd have the top down view for doing menial task and for boring stuff, but when killing eldritch abominations and hordes of zombies you can switch to first person.     Probally not possible due to the procedural generation and sheer variety of items and enemies, but the thread title does say wish.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: March 02, 2014, 12:34:29 pm »

I think part of the draw of a game like that would be seeing your guy's mutations, as opposed to the game saying 'You have tentacle arms! All schoolgirls flee in terror!'
All the schoolgirls are zombies.   They aren't fleeing in terror.  You're the one fleeing in terror.
Speaking of that, Cataclysm with an option to switch to first person.  You'd have the top down view for doing menial task and for boring stuff, but when killing eldritch abominations and hordes of zombies you can switch to first person.     Probally not possible due to the procedural generation and sheer variety of items and enemies, but the thread title does say wish.

catyclsm has first person...?   :o

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: March 02, 2014, 01:26:38 pm »

I think he means he WISHES it did :P
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 577