Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926772 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3750 on: March 11, 2014, 05:18:41 am »

I want a game where you are in a randomly generated town in the mid 1800's and you pick your job at the start and what you do effects on how the town grows. You can also pick which year your born and such for you can keep coming back to the same town watching it grow. So one year you could be helping build a railroad and die. Then be born the same year you died and the railroad could be finished by the time you're an adult.

Mmmm slice of life / Growing up videogame.

I have to admit it would be kind of an interesting motif to pull off in a game.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: March 11, 2014, 11:01:38 am »

Freespace 3 ! Thats the game I wish existed!!

Descent 4. Not Freespace; the sort of 3D maze tunnels and weapon upgrades and etc are pretty ARPG'ish. The world could do with a futuristic ARPG, they always seem to be based on high fantasy. Definitely procedural generation but other roguelike elements are optional (e.g. high difficulty, low character power, metagame learning).

Only problem with a 3D ARPG is that, given a limited viewpoint of a full 3D space, you're limited mostly to a kind of default weapon attack rather than complex skills and skill builds (more like Borderlands than Diablo). If I have to sacrifice 3D to have active skill use, I'd rather than a 2D top down game with skills than a 3D one that relies on a default (if variable) attack.

Also, unrelated: some setting that takes place inside a Dyson Sphere. (Never mind the technical impracticality of a true sphere). Difficulty: presuming the original inhabitants were wiped out/reset somehow, resource collection would be somewhat difficult. I had the idea that inhabitants could still mine for resources by "digging out" into the material collected on the outer surface of the sphere, because it has been barrelling through space for billions of years and has collected many thousands or even millions of miles of material outside the sphere, but this has certain limitations (chiefly to do with how low-tech inhabitants handle the gravity transition).  The alternative is to have resource nodes that can generate material spontaneously from the energy collected from the star, but again this has difficulties. (Incidentally, a day/night cycle might be built into it via a rotating shield around the star, which actually collects the energy.) Third alternative is AI caretaker that handles all that itself, again through energy manipulation but in a way that low-tech inhabitants aren't aware of what's going on (outside of some passed-down half-religion).

That doesn't really make sense for a Dyson Sphere but there are a couple of post apocalyptic shipboard sci fi settings in some books. I can't really recall their names, sadly.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: March 11, 2014, 11:34:44 am »

There was a Doctor Who book where the descendants of the survivors of a spaceship disaster had been living in a large jungle that had overgrown several cargo holds or something.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: March 11, 2014, 03:12:09 pm »

That doesn't really make sense for a Dyson Sphere but there are a couple of post apocalyptic shipboard sci fi settings in some books. I can't really recall their names, sadly.

Well, it makes sense in my mind's eye. There are a couple different variations of the Dyson's Sphere, but the one I conjure is the first I saw when introduced to the term in ST:TNG: a complete hollow sphere, with the shell being at some point within the star's habitable zone. Such a creation is, understandably, quite obscene in all aspects, but we're talking fantasy here anyway, even if it's sci-fi fantasy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:14:38 pm by Niveras »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: March 11, 2014, 03:18:50 pm »

I was looking at youtube videos with Hard Truck Apocalypse and said to myself... damn they had such a good idea. Now i wish there was a game like this crossed with the "EVE" and "Original War" that uses the newest breakthroughts in computing.

Basicaly an open world post apocalyptic truck driving sim with armed bands of robbers and AI faction conflicts over towns/factories/forts that constantly shift posesion.
A dynamic trade system.
Ability to start your own faction/gang and take posesion of some terrain where you can gather resouress (over time) and build up defenses and utility buildings).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: March 11, 2014, 03:28:34 pm »

Well, it makes sense in my mind's eye. There are a couple different variations of the Dyson's Sphere, but the one I conjure is the first I saw when introduced to the term in ST:TNG: a complete hollow sphere, with the shell being at some point within the star's habitable zone. Such a creation is, understandably, quite obscene in all aspects, but we're talking fantasy here anyway, even if it's sci-fi fantasy.

Any society that made a Dyson Sphere would probably be posthuman. Its a really hard thing to do. You would probably progress so quickly from there to a matrioshka brain that any sort of technological regression would be extremely unlikely and either way you wouldn't be a biological race.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: March 13, 2014, 02:00:38 pm »

Even though I probably wouldn't play it, I'd like to see a political game set in Hell/underworld where you are Lucifer/Satan/whoever managing the afterlife and its silly laws.
It would be called "Demoncracy".

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: March 13, 2014, 02:06:45 pm »

I think there might already be a game like this, but I don't remember any.

I want a game where it has first person aspects, but also strategical and tactical gameply. Kind of like the commander in Battlefield, but bigger. Pretty much there would be a big strategic map that high-rank generasls (players) look over and decide where to move their troop formations. Whenever there is a fight, smaller commanders or the same ones give out orders to soldiers on the ground about where to go and such. The soldiers are all actually players and can choose to follow the orders or not. If they do, they would get extra xp and rewards to encourage them to do what the commander is telling them to. Sort of like a cross between Planetside 2, Company of Heroes and Wargame: AirLand battle. I'm not sure what era it would be set in but I thought either WWII or modern day.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: March 13, 2014, 02:59:09 pm »

I want a game where it has first person aspects, but also strategical and tactical gameply. Kind of like the commander in Battlefield, but bigger. Pretty much there would be a big strategic map that high-rank generasls (players) look over and decide where to move their troop formations. Whenever there is a fight, smaller commanders or the same ones give out orders to soldiers on the ground about where to go and such. The soldiers are all actually players and can choose to follow the orders or not. If they do, they would get extra xp and rewards to encourage them to do what the commander is telling them to. Sort of like a cross between Planetside 2, Company of Heroes and Wargame: AirLand battle. I'm not sure what era it would be set in but I thought either WWII or modern day.

We need more WW1 games.
Therefore it should be WW1.

Even though it would be historically inaccurate with this kinda gameplay, but I don't care.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: March 13, 2014, 03:05:29 pm »

We need more WW1 games.

Even though it would be historically inaccurate with this kinda gameplay, but I don't care.

Have you seen the game Verdun
It is a WWI version of Red Orchestra

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: March 13, 2014, 03:14:51 pm »

We need more WW1 games.

Have you seen the game Verdun
It is a WWI version of Red Orchestra

Still, this is like one of four WW1 games I know of (Verdun, WW1 Medic, Timelines, and that one WW1 grand strategy).
Compare that to the untold amount of WW2 (and of course, WW3) games...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: March 13, 2014, 03:23:21 pm »

From what I've seen of Verdun its a bland arena shooter set in a WW1 setting.  Like there are trenches, but they make a circle and you run around in them.  So the actual gameplay doesn't resemble WW1 that much.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: March 13, 2014, 03:28:00 pm »

So, wait, the enemy trenches connect up? How does that make any sense apart from sort of a mad alternate history WWI where generals on both sides decided they wanted to ally with each other and connect up their trenches without telling the soldiers the war wasn't ongoing.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: March 13, 2014, 03:28:51 pm »

From what I've seen of Verdun its a bland arena shooter set in a WW1 setting.  Like there are trenches, but they make a circle and you run around in them.  So the actual gameplay doesn't resemble WW1 that much.
Ok. I haven't played it but was thinking about it. Good to know that its not actually that realistic. Thanks

Also, I found a game that seems to be a lot like the one I described: Heroes and Generals
Haven't played it so I don't know if it is good or not. It is free though so I might try sometime.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: March 13, 2014, 03:34:49 pm »

So, wait, the enemy trenches connect up? How does that make any sense apart from sort of a mad alternate history WWI where generals on both sides decided they wanted to ally with each other and connect up their trenches without telling the soldiers the war wasn't ongoing.
Well that could be a fun game too; discover proof of your commanding officer's traitorous ways before he gets you killed. Though I suppose that's more like a forum game type of thing.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 577