Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926674 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4380 on: August 30, 2014, 03:57:59 am »

A game where the space itself is a manipulable object on par with units and buildings.
._.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: August 30, 2014, 09:59:29 am »

A game where you dive into the minds of insane men, and attempt to fix them. Aka, The spiritual successor of Eternal Darkness
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: August 30, 2014, 10:05:35 am »

A game where you dive into the minds of insane men, and attempt to fix them. Aka, The spiritual successor of Eternal Darkness

Psychonauts?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: August 30, 2014, 10:42:15 am »

I actually never played Jagex's monstrosity. I've been playing AoS since Notch plugged it on his... Twitter, I think? April 2011... wow. I feel old. But the original AoS/current BnS have diverged from what I'm thinking of here since the addition of SMG and Shotgun, plus some other changes. It is by no means a *bad* game, but not what I'd like to see.
Honestly I think that most of the crowd that supported the addition of the SMG and shotgun are the people who have now moved on to the weak and epileptic shadow that AoS has become. Since generally in the context of competitions people mostly focus on the rifle, and the amount of SMG hate pleases me.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: August 30, 2014, 11:03:52 am »

I dreamed up an interesting game idea:

Tales of a Wizard Librarian, a roguelike-lite game. The massive ruins of an ancient magical library have been discovered, complete with cursed books. The player leads a group of up to ~20 wizard-scholars.

Bookshelves and desks are common, as you'd expect from a ruined magical library. There is a command to order your underlings to start researching the texts near them. Frequently, this will unleash monsters, which they then fight. Occasionally you'll get a debilitating curse, which takes about half a minute for an anti-curse minion to cure. Some books contain upgrades for abilities or valuable information, which will be converted into gold for equipment, new people, or minion upgrades, between levels. There are ~4 mini-bosses per level. Killing all of them will open the stairs to the next level.

Death can normally be cured with a several-second revive spell. Abandoning bodies to regroup, or deaths by certain mini-boss attacks (disintegrate), require a higher powered revive that can only be cast between levels.

Each minion can be equipped with two abilities, such as fireball, curse removal, revive, increased sword damage, or a passive mana buff to five selected wizard-scholars. Switching abilities is easy, and only takes enough time that someone can't swap abilities during a battle. Everyone also gets teleport, which they'll use to return to the leader if their pathfinding gets confused.

You get to set a formation, such as a small cluster around the leader (great for force concentration against mini-bosses), concentric rings (useful for studying everything in an area), or small clusters that study and fight together.

It might be interesting for an hour or two, but it's missing something. "Research everything nearby quickly" or "slowly research some nearby things safely," all while "I'll sit back and occasionally toss in a fireball" is not an interesting gameplay choice.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: August 30, 2014, 04:27:31 pm »

What about quickly researching some stuff, but having a limited space for spells? So that you would have to throw some spells away to research new ones.

I wish somebody would combine Caesar 3 with Civilization. Or Caesar 3 with Majesty.

Caesar 3 was a very !!FUN!! game to play.
._.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: September 01, 2014, 07:24:41 am »

Caesar II was at some level something between that. Google it, it's old and you need DOS BOX to run it, but it's the best city building-strategy-tatical battles simulator combo ever.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: September 01, 2014, 09:21:17 am »

Oh man, that game looks AWESOME.
._.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: September 01, 2014, 10:22:53 am »

http://www.caesar2.com/ There you go. Since it's "abandon-ware" there a some places where you can download it for free. I have the original disk on an .iso too.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: September 01, 2014, 04:14:44 pm »

Oh man, I remember Pharaon. Kinda like Caesar but in egypt (duh). Oh the nostalgia.

In totally unrelated news, holy shit why didn't I know about this sooner.
(This is a leaked trailer for the unreleased version, the current gameplay is much less polished. On the other hand, it's a mod for half life. The first one.)

I'm posting this here because, while it is in developement, it remains a mod, with all the uncertainties that goes with it.
Also, there may be people out there who want such a game to exist and I think I should inform them. Hell, I didn't know I wanted a PC, TPS-controls, more-than-two-people-at-once DBZ game until today.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:20:19 pm by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: September 01, 2014, 04:56:41 pm »

I played most of them in the order they came out. Got a bundle with Caesar III, Pharoah with the Cleopatra expansion, and Zeus with the Poseidon expansion. Caesar was the only one I didn't really get into, and the little things added in each iteration (as noted above, and finished out by Emperor, Rise of the Middle Kingdom) made me like each previous game a bit less.

Anno 2070 is the closest game I've played that tries to capture that city building mechanic. And they made certain things less frustrating, like making it so that each depot acts as an import/export to the pool of resources on the island as a whole, meaning you don't need continuous roads connecting everything.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: September 02, 2014, 02:28:54 pm »

Talking about Thaumcraft 4 in the Minecraft thread, I realized I would be interested in a game that was primarily about research, with fighting and exploring dungeons just being means of achieving that goal, with the products of my research being able to help with that and also with doing more research. Also it would be nice if there was a need to do different things to gain research, as just scanning stuff and hammering out on the research table gets a little samey after a while.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4393 on: September 02, 2014, 02:58:07 pm »

A release of old Runescape that actually transports you back to the early 2000s as you were back then, so you can enjoy the game with no nostalgia goggles required.
It would still be nostalgic if you were aware that you had been thrown back in time.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: September 02, 2014, 03:22:24 pm »

Now, i saw this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/02/codespells-proof-that-coding-is-arcane-wizardry/#more-230879

And wanted this. What about a game where you dealt in real, detailed physics (though of course there'd be a text parser), focusing on quick thinking? It gives you a short amount of time, in which the same thing can't be used twice (in rounds against the opponent and in the wider tournament) to come up with wards to anything you can think of, and when you're set against an opponent you have to use a mix of quick(er) thinking to prevent anything you didn't see coming and experimentation (using honest to god physics) to get through the hole in his armour? It might be more interesting if you knew what your opponent was protected against of the bat (specially late game), but yeah. Every round in a tournament you have more wards, and the more cunning you have to be. You'd need a supercomputer, but wouldn't that be a hell of a way to teach scientific concepts? Especially when equations go wrong? >:D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:42:20 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 577