Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926771 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4470 on: September 19, 2014, 09:03:27 pm »

But it wouldn't work that way round. The enemies in Dynasty Warriors way outnumber the player, nowhere near a minority.
I am but one man, and there are a lot of loud idiots. They outnumber me by a lot.

Anyway, the game I'd like to see is a really good fighting/boxing game on the XBone's Kinect.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: September 20, 2014, 12:08:48 am »

The Battlefleet gothic Vassal plugin is great as well - slightly easier to get to grips with as you can just have like '2 on 2' battle. I just wish someone could make some sort of AI, and a slightly better interface with some automation.

Such a shame that GW is so ridiculous about their copyright. I get that copyright is important for a lot of companies, but they're definitely at a stage where they could do with drumming up more interest in their IPs, as less and less people are buying the extortionate tabletop stuff and they don't seem to be able to come out with anything particular great.

I'm sacrificing to Khorn daily to try to keep them off Chapter Master.

Someone could make an AI sure. But making an AI, and having rule enforcement (or Rule automation) totally goes against what Vassal is trying to do. Vassal is trying to remain in the safe by not doing any of that. Technically they would actually be pretty safe on enforcing rules, or making Vassal rules gnostic, since mechanics aren't a matter of Copyright but patent. And game mechanics are hardly patented.

But yea, Vassal is trying to be this generic shared tabletop space that community members can make place pieces for, that are never acknowledge nor supported by Vassal, to create as much of a barrier between Vassal and the IP Holders of the table top games.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: September 20, 2014, 12:58:12 pm »

Survival game ala Don't Starve.

Only, it's not the wilderness, but a low-fantasy Dickensian style city in which you have to survive in as a homeless waif.

Victorian/low fantasy art style and world. Top down semi-isometric city inhabited by thousands of dynamic AI with schedules, roles, homes, etc.

Not starving in this environment means being quick on your feet and light with your fingers. Only, watch out for the body snatchers who supply corpses to the medical schools. They get extra for fresh bodies, and nobody would notice one less waif. Then there is the Ripper. The city watch. Other gangs. And of course, whoever murdered your parents to begin with.

Navigate the rooftops, jimmy locks, tip toe past sleeping innkeepers, run from mobs and avoid coaches rumbling down the streets.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:59:50 pm by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: September 20, 2014, 12:58:57 pm »

Oops. Quoted instead of modified.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: September 20, 2014, 01:06:10 pm »

A game where you're the only patient of a dilapidated hospital, staffed by a single blind doctor. You need to explore the hospital to find clues to the situation, but the doctor is very controlling and demands you stay in your room at all times. You have a grave condition that requires regular treatment, and if he discovers you have disobeyed him he withholds your dose because "so be it, I see you would rather die than listen to me."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: September 20, 2014, 01:11:47 pm »

Only, it's not the wilderness, but a low-fantasy Dickensian style city in which you have to survive in as a homeless waif.

Victorian/low fantasy art style and world. Top down semi-isometric city inhabited by thousands of dynamic AI with schedules, roles, homes, etc.

Not starving in this environment means being quick on your feet and light with your fingers. Only, watch out for the body snatchers who supply corpses to the medical schools. They get extra for fresh bodies, and nobody would notice one less waif. Then there is the Ripper. The city watch. Other gangs. And of course, whoever murdered your parents to begin with.

Navigate the rooftops, jimmy locks, tip toe past sleeping innkeepers, run from mobs and avoid coaches rumbling down the streets.

This is a really cool idea.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: September 21, 2014, 10:39:45 am »

Thanks. ;-)

I don't see why survival mechanics have to be limited to wilderness/post-apocalypse scenarios only. If you are in a weak position in society than urban life would also pose a big challenge.

I'm just kind of peeved still that we have yet to really see a fantasy style city of any real scale brought to life in a game. CRPG city populations are usually no more than a few dozen including guards, and this has remained more or less constant for over two decades. Surely somebody could do better.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: September 21, 2014, 12:27:33 pm »

Childbirth Simulator. First person perspective of a woman giving birth. There are controls for your legs and for pushing. There is an NPC doctor with terrible AI and only one repetitive sound clip for telling you to push. You can kick him.

I'm not sure if playing as the baby would be better as a secret level or as Childbirth Simulator 2: Push Harder.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: September 21, 2014, 12:32:21 pm »

That sounds like a one-way ticket to AO ratings and using pseudonyms forevermore.

I'd play it.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: September 21, 2014, 01:03:58 pm »

A game where you play as Jack The Ripper.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: September 21, 2014, 01:35:58 pm »

Thanks. ;-)

I don't see why survival mechanics have to be limited to wilderness/post-apocalypse scenarios only. If you are in a weak position in society than urban life would also pose a big challenge.

I'm just kind of peeved still that we have yet to really see a fantasy style city of any real scale brought to life in a game. CRPG city populations are usually no more than a few dozen including guards, and this has remained more or less constant for over two decades. Surely somebody could do better.

GTA: Petty Victorian Crim edition?

A game where you play as Jack The Ripper.

If you combined the two, it conceptually reminds me of that Navitas (?) game someone used to be making, except in Victorian times. And the addition of Victorian times make anything better.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: September 21, 2014, 01:51:34 pm »

This is a really cool idea.

I second this.  That's a cool setting and the constant threat of violence would avoid the whole "get enough food production and then you live forever" problem that most "survival" games have.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: September 21, 2014, 01:57:57 pm »

Childbirth Simulator. First person perspective of a woman giving birth. There are controls for your legs and for pushing. There is an NPC doctor with terrible AI and only one repetitive sound clip for telling you to push. You can kick him.

I'm not sure if playing as the baby would be better as a secret level or as Childbirth Simulator 2: Push Harder.
Nono, there should be hundreds of sound clips, but they're all just telling you to push.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: September 21, 2014, 02:00:57 pm »

While I don't necessarily disagree, consider the Witcher games which do have a lot of NPCs walking around, simply to fill out the visuals.

But I'd think the reason 2.5d CRPGs haven't yet populated cities with 100 NPCs or whatever is....does it really bring anything to the table? 100 different dialogs which are probably 2 lines at best, and non-sensical at worst? Because if they're any more than that, the simple tech doesn't really alleviate the dev burden of writing and actually having a point to all those NPCs.

Because I'm picturing like, FF2 with 10x the # of people walking around the city and it doesn't really add up to much in my mind, without a lot of supporting design (tons of sidequests, more buildings, things to search for which that # of NPCs either helps or hurts, ect...)

I'd play the hell out of this, although "constant threat of violence" as a means to combat hoarding doesn't really appeal to me. There's a much smoother element that almost no one uses: decay. Especially in the Victorian era with little to no refrigeration. If the player falls back on hard tack and biscuits and tinned perishables...why....rats are just as good as natural decomposition. Very few games understand hoarding from the player's perspective to come up with interesting ways to combat it. Instead most just try to account for it in how the game is balanced. My ideal survival game puts food and such first, but once you've gotten some, it should free you up to explore your surroundings for a little bit. Instead you usually become locked in a harvesting cycle with the time you have. (I'm looking at you, Darkwood.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: September 21, 2014, 04:32:18 pm »

Yeah. And there should probably be other urchin NPCs that won't attack you directly, but will instead try to steal from your horde, so you have to guard and/or hide your valuables from them.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 577