Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929197 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4665 on: November 10, 2014, 01:09:58 am »

A hardcore simulationist air combat game with a decently-sized multiplayer scene. Something where dorks like me can use fake military-sounding phrases and not feel too out of place :P although to really get the most out of it, of course you'd need a good computer chair, a flight stick, Rift and a few fans blowing on your face while you play.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: November 10, 2014, 01:19:26 am »

I think Guns of Icarus Online might be what you're looking for.  I've put many hours into it and the flight model, damage simulation, and historical accuracy are all spot on.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: November 10, 2014, 01:20:24 am »

Guns of Icarus Online ... historical accuracy ... spot on.

I... uh... what...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: November 10, 2014, 09:44:55 am »

An "exploration space sim" thingy, except you're some dude from contemporary Earth that stumbles into space flight somehow (a crash landed ship or something). So you go to space and meet alien races and upgrade your ship, but you can also come back home and use the tech you got from space to upgrade your everyday appliances and use harvested space platinum to pay taxes and all your debts and stuff and maybe get a nicer house.

Basically what I wish would happen in reality :P

EDIT: Bonus points if your spaceship is an upgraded 70-80's station wagon.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:46:42 am by Sergius »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4669 on: November 12, 2014, 05:42:47 pm »

A very involved simulation of being a vampire or werewolf. A fully living city, you have to find a place to rest and avoid hunters. The prey you take are taster if you hunt after rich people, but are more guarded. A lot of choices. You can be a nice vampire who tries to help people as much as they can or be the worst vampire that wipes out the entire city, with loads of things inbetween. You can be a werewolf who wishes to control their condition and views it as a disease or be the wild uncontrollable monster. There should be a lot of tension between vampires and werewolves, with your own opinions mattering. You can either take the subway, parkour across the city or just drive, each with it's own benefits.
I've been itching to play some kind of vampire simulation game, so I came here to post about it... looks like Fniff beat me by about 3 years.

Personally though, my idea of a fun vampire game is a bit different than Fniff's. I wouldn't include any kind of New World of Darkness-style urban fantasy setting, I just want to play a game where I'm a generic vampire with a cape who terrorizes Romanian villages. You know, leveling up so I can transform into mist, gaining brainwashed mortal thralls, building a huge spooky castle...

I came up with a game similar to this once, where you're a necromancer. You slowly build up a tower and manage your undead minions Dungeon Keeper style, but whenever you need more you have to sneak into town with your meat wagon and make corpses. I just want to play as an unholy horror dammit.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: November 12, 2014, 06:39:30 pm »

I wouldn't mind getting a Vampire / Werewolf game that had mechanics and writing done by some of the folks at /tg/.  Vampire blood magic could be really extensive and baller, but the most I've seen out of the video game front on that is simply Battle Forms and stuff like that.  Really low-level things.  Also still being weak to bullets that aren't specifically created for the destruction of a vampire.  Sort of kills the mood.

Would not mind playing a sort of sandbox game where you're inserted as a newly sired vampire and you loosely have goals of fighting your way to the top of the Vampiric food chain.  Insert yourself into a time period (Medieval, Renaissance, Industrial (Information age would be too restrictive I feel)), scout out the local town, find a place to base yourself, go nuts.  Don't get hunted down by hunters, rival vampires, a pack of werewolves that you angered by building on their ancestral hunting grounds, or Holy Orders.

Or just run missions for other, more powerful Vampires.  Up to you to if you wanted to create a base or to run around and get your hands dirty.  Maybe even run missions for a group of werewolves that you decided was better to co-exist with ("There's a group of hunters tracking us down.  They're looking specifically for us, so they won't be expecting a Vampire to show up").  Maybe even strike up deals with heads of Holy Orders.  A lord has been protected by the Pope, but is hindering the Knights Templar?  Maybe the Lord-Commander decides to meet with you and ask of your services.  The Pope, or other religious head, himself needs a rather too zealous Cardinal gone?  It's a good thing you're a sucker (heh) for blood and money.

Since the game is a sandbox, it could even be possible to make different characters and follow the exploits and legends that your other characters left behind.  Or maybe even meet them, if they're still around and not running missions or are extremely hostile.

Gameplay-wise I'm sort of thinking movement and combat (but not quite) be sort of in the style of Assassin's Creed, but towns are sized depending on the population and there's definitely more than one.  Small-hamlet out in the middle of nowhere, everything's made of wood and there's tons farmland.  Possibly a stone-built Inn for weary travelers.  All of the people are extremely superstitious at night and make mobs quickly if there's a ruckus going on.  Small towns that are fed by the hamlets, large enough to hire guards to watch their walls at night.  Still small enough for people to take notice if there's someone stalking the streets at night.

Eventually there would be large cities, ones that never seem to sleep.  People are up at all hours plying their wares or scuttling about some business that is privy to only them.  It would be easy for a vampire to slip in unnoticed here, but there are the Holy Orders and other Vampires to contend with.

Movement and combat would be in the same vein as Assassin's Creed, but not.  For one, the enemies wouldn't surround you waiting to take their turn at being stabbed by a single guy.  Getting surround would be a death sentence, especially against people with spears or catch-poles.  Besides that, your character would have to learn how to move fluidly, instead of being able to do so from the beginning of the game.  You would start out clumsy, tripping over things and fumbling with drawing your sword, probably dropping it during battle at least once.  Over time you'd get more accustomed to the shock of a sword meeting another sword, and you'd learn how to manipulate your limbs more easily, more gracefully, while your supernatural body would become stronger.  So while you first start out as something awkward, you'd eventually become a Grandmaster duelist (all of these would be through some sort of stat-gain method.  If this game could be a thing it would also be an RPG thing).

Stealth would be a thing.  Sort of in the Assassin's Creed style as well, but with sound and light levels being an issue (Splinter Cell-esque in nature.  Think Chaos Theory).  You'd start out clumsy in that area as well, constantly moving your foot wrong and dragging your boot across the floor, knocking into a table that skids across the room, or wearing white while trying to hide in someone's rafters.  Over time, and with the power of magic, your character would learn to mitigate these factors and could possibly even walk through the Vatican without being noticed, but it would be impossible for a beginner to even scale the walls to the Vatican, much less make it to the Pope's personal quarters without being seen.

Man, the things you could wish for in a video game.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 06:41:17 pm by Karkov »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: November 12, 2014, 07:13:42 pm »

You know, I think it would be very possible to make a good supernatural roguelike. One of my pet peeves is the lack of variety in fantasy games, and having a game like that would go a long way in helping that.
... I wish I had any game development skills beyond spriting.
By the by, the main reason I wanted an information age setting was mainly because of WoD. I would love a Dracula/Hammer Horror simulator, though!
Edit: someone in the original discussion suggested making it a MUD.
This sounds possible.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:18:52 pm by Fniff »

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: November 12, 2014, 07:52:30 pm »

A MUD would give you the ability to make a game as large as you wanted to, what with no graphics to inhibit the designer process.  Just depends on how descriptive you want to be to get your point across and still keep the audience's attention.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4673 on: November 12, 2014, 08:16:23 pm »

I would love to code something like this, but a lot of it would require me to utilize the dreaded 3D map. I've never been satisfied with the way roguelikes, particularly ascii roguelikes, have dealt with 3D. Isometric could work, but that would require quite a bit of tile drawing.

Also I feel like I would get too ambitious with maps, and try to make one huge, connected overworld with streaming terrain. So I would have to limit myself to Fallout-style maps connected by an overworld map.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: November 12, 2014, 08:51:44 pm »

Isometric could work, but that would require quite a bit of tile drawing.
Hmm... You know, if you wanted me to, I could try spriting the tiles. Granted, I'm usually a humans kind of guy and I've never done a project this big, but I could show you a few examples of my work through Pms.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4675 on: November 12, 2014, 09:16:20 pm »

Not to mention 3D line of sight, turn-based stealth... does that one even work well? I heard it's in the newest major DF release, but I haven't tried it out in adventure mode. As a programmer you have to restrain yourself so you don't get ambitious and try to... well, do what Toady's doing I guess. :P

@Fniff: I'm going to start fiddling with rendering systems, I just want to mess around with some isometric rendering. You can contribute some stuff if you want, though obviously I can't even make plans about that until I know if I can do this.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: November 12, 2014, 10:36:20 pm »

I want to see a game based around hovercraft that take physics to an extreme degree.

You've got to manage turning and such, but now, you're basically controlling an aircraft. You've got to manage pitch, roll, and yaw.

Let's use an example craft, one with three rotors along a single axis. One is at the front of the craft, and two are in the back. This model has hideously bad control over rolling, but Pitch is easily managed and Yaw functions perfectly- turns act as you'd expect, the craft can shift from side to side, sharper turns can be made with a combination of airbrakes and/or alternating front and rear rotor directions. Unfortunately, relying on Yaw, no matter how tightly it can perform a turn, cuts deeply into overall speed. This model boasts three rotors, one of which is almost always giving its all for forward momentum.

We can help mitigate some of the Roll loss by adding components to our craft. Right now it's an ultralight, ultrasleek, incomplete model. The first thing to look at is control surfaces.

A fin that doesn't reach out very far catches little air, even if it runs along the craft quite a long way. Still, a long yet shallow fin is not extremely efficient, and won't be useful outside of smaller tuning changes. Other things to look at- does the whole wing act as a control surface, or only an aileron? Where are the rudders placed? Do I have a spoiler instead?

Firstly, let's look at our forward fins. By choosing a long, sleek model that rotates entirely, we save a lot of space and keep an ultrasleek profile- however, these fins add little to our pitch control, and do nearly nothing to help with yaw or roll.
Secondly are the rear fins. Here, we take a large model- losing our ultrasleek status, however, we are still fairly thin in profile. These wings are almost entirely the control surface, meaning the whole thing rotates- allowing for heavy-handed rolling and overbearing pitch management.
Airbrakes are also important- due to our already great yaw control, the model we choose here are small. The ship turns on a dime when one is deployed, and both of them can help in halting the craft, but they are somewhat underscale for the speed class we're in.
As for a rudder, we have instead taken a short spoiler. This restabilizes Pitch- helping against the wild changes the rear fins can cause.

We install a computer system in some of our spare space, adding to the weight but allowing us to set AI controls- the aircraft will automatically override controls in certain events- not allowing the craft to roll beyond 45/-45 degrees or pitch 30/-30 degrees. The craft will automatically stabilize at these points if the pilot continues trying to pitch or roll.

We're still a Sleek class, and retain quite high speed. We would be a featherweight, if not for our next choice in rotor.

Taking heavier rotors, ones with a great number of blades, hurts our acceleration. These rotors can be overstable as well, requiring more effort to change pitch, roll, and yaw. Our yaw is already sky-high and remains absurdly high, where our Roll is boosted now that it's harder to tip over. Pitch suffers a little, but it is stable enough to make the bonus to Roll readily worth the cost. Top speed is also boosted thanks to the sheer amount of force these fans put off, slowing us down out of the gate but giving us bullet-fast speeds from then on out. We can now roll reliably on normal turns, cutting down on speed loss, and maneuvering is easy. Emergency maneuvers and tight turns remain possible even if it does hurt our speed, and our sleek, light frame allows us to find tight shortcuts and stay aloft longer. Our armor is lacking, but hopefully, we'll be too far afield to be hit.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: November 12, 2014, 10:58:37 pm »

Robocraft has components of that, From the Depths also does, and there are others Im not thinking of at this time...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: November 13, 2014, 01:33:29 am »

Aavak has Youtube videos of both Robocraft and From the Depths...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: November 13, 2014, 11:16:57 pm »

Post apocalyptic game with mounted combat.

Motorcycles + Couched lance damage!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 577