Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 902114 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5130 on: April 03, 2015, 01:19:26 am »

Have you tried Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, Cryxis?  It's a roguelike that is basically exactly what you just asked for.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: April 03, 2015, 01:29:02 am »

I have not...
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: April 03, 2015, 08:13:49 am »

Goblin King. I made a suggestion about this before maybe, but Ive developed the idea a bit. It could be a turn based strategy tile grid game, or even done as a more thoughtful settlers ish RTS

You start with a small clan. Goblins are in a weak state. The world is full of humans and the wild game is increasingly rare, with once free land turned into farms. Human soldiers have relentlessly driven you further into the margins of the world, into the caves, living from rats and mushrooms. But this ends now. You will lead the rebellion and state a claim to a goblin kingdom, you as it's king. But first you need an army.

You start with a very limited number of units. The humans on the map outnumber you, and if they learn of your location will send armies to wipe you out.
The basic resource is food. Your first job in the initial phase of the game is to keep the food coming in so that you can recruit/spawn more units and keep the ones you have alive. You need to stay hidden while scouting for food sources and threats, moving your camps strategically to bring them to food and out of the way of harm. Raiding a small village far away from you based may help to distract and draw away unwanted attention from elsewhere.
In the second phase you gradually shift into proper guerrilla warfare with the units you have made, striking quickly and then withdrawing so as to avoid direct confrontation with a still far superior human army. You amass weapons, take whole towns for livestock and slaves, and discover and recruit other beasts with a grudge against your opponent. Trolls, wolves, etc.
Finally you have all out war, and the challenge of when to time the revealling of yourself and strike. Too soon and you will be crushed in the field. Too late and your gathering armies may become unstable for want of food and fighting. Which cities you strike when will also be an important choice that depends on information gained so far with scouting.
Through it all you have to be careful not up let the hero captains of the humans find and capture your own unit, or all is lost.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 08:16:38 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #5133 on: April 04, 2015, 04:29:21 am »

So after posting a thread made for discussing a certain game idea, a different but similar game idea came to mind: an evil overlord simulator. No, not like Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius. No, not like Overlord either. I want a simulation of being an evil wizard who plots the fall of kingdoms from inside his wicked tower of ominousness, commanding hordes of goblins and orcs, kidnapping princesses, enslaving the masses, and plotting against the forces of good.

But it would be something more abstract and large-scale, like a grand strategy game. You sweep across the countryside committing atrocities, but the worse your PR as supreme ruler is the more likely it is you will face an uprising. Every village you raze to the ground creates the potential for a lone survivor swearing revenge and becoming a level 20 paladin ready to wreck your shit. And not everything has to be deathkillmurderfest, as you can make deals with factions to expand your evil empire non-violently.

I find it hard to believe this doesn't already exist, but I've never found anything combining all these elements.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: April 04, 2015, 12:19:28 pm »

So after posting a thread made for discussing a certain game idea, a different but similar game idea came to mind: an evil overlord simulator. No, not like Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius. No, not like Overlord either. I want a simulation of being an evil wizard who plots the fall of kingdoms from inside his wicked tower of ominousness, commanding hordes of goblins and orcs, kidnapping princesses, enslaving the masses, and plotting against the forces of good.

But it would be something more abstract and large-scale, like a grand strategy game. You sweep across the countryside committing atrocities, but the worse your PR as supreme ruler is the more likely it is you will face an uprising. Every village you raze to the ground creates the potential for a lone survivor swearing revenge and becoming a level 20 paladin ready to wreck your shit. And not everything has to be deathkillmurderfest, as you can make deals with factions to expand your evil empire non-violently.

I find it hard to believe this doesn't already exist, but I've never found anything combining all these elements.

I know this is not exactly what you are suggesting, but there's something you might enjoy here. It's still early access and needs a lot more features (too basic for now for my tastes as a DF player, but it's certainly playable) but I like the idea and hope it gets developed.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #5135 on: April 04, 2015, 03:18:58 pm »

I know this is not exactly what you are suggesting, but there's something you might enjoy here. It's still early access and needs a lot more features (too basic for now for my tastes as a DF player, but it's certainly playable) but I like the idea and hope it gets developed.
Yeah, I've seen Keeper RL. Haven't checked it out in a while though, maybe I should download it again.

Now, @Gatleos, sounds like the hilariously evil version of CKII. I'd also really like to see that. I know you said large-scale/grand strategy, but what about some more intimate interactions with people? at least in the form of messengers, etc.?
Yeah, I realized after a while that it was CK II: Evil Overlord Expansion. Holding meetings (or " granting an audience" once you're more full of yourself) with diplomats, trade caravans, or summoned demons would be essential. Even a reclusive evil archmage (or at least his high-ranking cult members) needs to do a little diplomacy now and then.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: April 04, 2015, 03:27:16 pm »

-snippity snop-
I would give someone money in exchange for a product that matched this specification (or at least, in spirit; not necessarily every detail that would be silly).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: April 04, 2015, 03:44:58 pm »

-snippity snop-
I would give someone money in exchange for a product that matched this specification (or at least, in spirit; not necessarily every detail that would be silly).

+1, maybe we should send a message to paradox, or tell some modders.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: April 04, 2015, 03:49:29 pm »

I'd like to see a 4x game that combines the salient features of Civilization-style, Master of Orion-style, and Master of Magic-style 4x games. Especially the latter two. Something with space wizards.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: April 04, 2015, 04:28:31 pm »

Back on topic - the graphics and UI of Dungeon Keeper/War for the Overworld married to dwarf fortress.

Does that count as a new game? I think it would. Someone abduct the WftO team and make it happen.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: April 04, 2015, 08:14:45 pm »

while I was playing xcom last night I thought how cool would be if there was a multiplayer campaign mode when one player control the humans and the other the aliens, both sides would have to create facilities, explore tech trees and would fight occasionally, etc.

what I really wanted was a long multiplayer setting that isn't slow, when I try to play something like civ or europa universalis online is cool because is kind epic, but after some turns it gets boring because it takes so much time

I don't what is the perfect solution, but I'm frustrated by this idea.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5141 on: April 04, 2015, 10:32:01 pm »

(I removed a spat about mount and blade -- please don't argue in here about each other's wishes)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: April 05, 2015, 04:45:40 am »

Mods that let you slot together different games. So you use this bit of that evil overlord simulator and jump into CK politics and then travel in a small group using a telltale engine and fight in mount and blade.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

blazing glory

« Reply #5143 on: April 05, 2015, 05:27:34 am »

Mods that let you slot together different games. So you use this bit of that evil overlord simulator and jump into CK politics and then travel in a small group using a telltale engine and fight in mount and blade.
That'd be pretty marvelous.

Completely wouldn't work but marvelous nonetheless.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: April 05, 2015, 07:52:20 am »

while I was playing xcom last night I thought how cool would be if there was a multiplayer campaign mode when one player control the humans and the other the aliens, both sides would have to create facilities, explore tech trees and would fight occasionally, etc.

what I really wanted was a long multiplayer setting that isn't slow, when I try to play something like civ or europa universalis online is cool because is kind epic, but after some turns it gets boring because it takes so much time

I don't what is the perfect solution, but I'm frustrated by this idea.
UFO: The Two Sides has this; the game was abandoned for copyright reasons (it used X-Com graphics) and there's probably nobody to play with though.
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 577