Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 904871 times)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5145 on: April 05, 2015, 11:37:50 am »

while I was playing xcom last night I thought how cool would be if there was a multiplayer campaign mode when one player control the humans and the other the aliens, both sides would have to create facilities, explore tech trees and would fight occasionally, etc.

what I really wanted was a long multiplayer setting that isn't slow, when I try to play something like civ or europa universalis online is cool because is kind epic, but after some turns it gets boring because it takes so much time

I don't what is the perfect solution, but I'm frustrated by this idea.
This simply must be a thing. Imagine committing abductions and trying to make it out with as many humans as possible, only to have an XCOM squad crash the party while recovering the bodies, or controlling your own army of cryssalids on a terror mission.

You could send out UFOs on different missions, like bombing a country, a terror mission, abducting, resource gathering, or attacking the XCOM base.

Aliens could fight more than XCOM, too. Local militaries could rise up to fight you, especially in the early game, until they learn just how outmatched they are. XCOM could even help them get better equipment to stand a chance.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: April 05, 2015, 11:52:45 am »

A Crusader Kings 2-esque game about feudal politics but set in the Dune universe.

No particular reasons outside flavour, really.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: April 05, 2015, 12:20:39 pm »

An at least somewhat realistic urban combat simulator with a lot of emphasis on working together as a team. A game in which having the right tactics is more important than hitting with every bullet. A game where suppressive fire works like it does IRL.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: April 05, 2015, 02:04:20 pm »

An at least somewhat realistic urban combat simulator with a lot of emphasis on working together as a team. A game in which having the right tactics is more important than hitting with every bullet. A game where suppressive fire works like it does IRL.
The Arma series is like this if you're with a decent group; for infantry combat Arma 3 is considered the best.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: April 05, 2015, 02:17:24 pm »

Or that Ten Hammers game, and whatever its predecessor was called.  They were supposed to have done MOUT very well.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: April 05, 2015, 02:31:46 pm »

As far as XCOM goes I was playing that and Wasteland 2 at about the same time a while back and I was struck by how well the X-Com style structure fits the general Wasteland 2 concept. So: a Wasteland game where you send patrols of Desert Rangers out to deal with this crisis and that one out in the wastes, or just to scout, and also to get materials/ items/ workers to help establish your base. (More like the older X-Coms in that you have multiple squads you can send out on sorties; also multiple bases.) Your equipment is largely what you find out there, from guns and ammo to vehicles and gasoline to building materials, and it has to be carefully rationed. Rangers that get wounded have to get medical attention for a while just as in XCOM. You earn support from settlements, which take the role of continents in XCOM – difference being, of course, that you start out with no help from most of them and have to earn it (once you actually discover the settlements, which are mostly randomly placed) and not just vice versa. Sometimes support from settlements is mutually exclusive as one faction hates the other, and thus, the perks you get are different.

Additionally, enemy strongholds may require multiple strikes from patrols to clear, and may regenerate over time, so you'll want to coordinate your strike teams and possibly take advantage of different vehicles to finish off an enemy base. (Say you get a helicopter working – you hit the robot base with all of your patrols, and then send the first patrol back to the target in a helicopter to finish it off before it builds any more new robots.)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: April 06, 2015, 01:40:16 am »

Can I recommend Insurgency?

I never ever wanted to run into enemy fire without popping a smoke beforehand in that game. People are quite willing to co-operate on most of the servers I've been on.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: April 06, 2015, 06:43:28 am »

This is what I was trying to think of:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Spectrum_Warrior

'Ten Hammers' was the sequel.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: April 06, 2015, 01:14:42 pm »

You could give Red Orchestra 2 a look, it's very realistic as far as FPS games go, includes suppression mechanics and has urban (and also field) infantry combat in a WW2 setting. (Some maps may feature a few operable tanks.)
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: April 06, 2015, 10:14:45 pm »

You could give Red Orchestra 2 a look, it's very realistic as far as FPS games go, includes suppression mechanics and has urban (and also field) infantry combat in a WW2 setting. (Some maps may feature a few operable tanks.)

"Red Orchestra 2" is a great game. Well... it is really impactful. The game requires a careful, minimal risk element rather than running head on into things.

The downside I would say is unless you have a 64bit computer with possibly a duel core it won't run very well. The base game (Germany vs Russia) ran fine on my i5, 4gig ram, 32bit computer but the later expansion (America vs Japan) the maps can't even load because of the increased number of shadows and objects.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: April 06, 2015, 11:07:21 pm »

The base game (Germany vs Russia) ran fine on my i5, 4gig ram, 32bit computer but the later expansion (America vs Japan)

I will have to say that I never loaded the America vs Japan up even once, because MG42.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Altivera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: April 06, 2015, 11:35:46 pm »

while I was playing xcom last night I thought how cool would be if there was a multiplayer campaign mode when one player control the humans and the other the aliens, both sides would have to create facilities, explore tech trees and would fight occasionally, etc.

what I really wanted was a long multiplayer setting that isn't slow, when I try to play something like civ or europa universalis online is cool because is kind epic, but after some turns it gets boring because it takes so much time

I don't what is the perfect solution, but I'm frustrated by this idea.

This

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: April 09, 2015, 01:32:48 pm »

As preparation for interacting with aliens, you must intuitively understand the subtleties of communication in earth's life. Inspired by this]http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/baby-elephant-reunited-mother]this which I don't fully understand.

Two-player where one is typical power fantasy and the other is (eventually) the army of mooks. Starting with 1 redshirt, you respawn as a distinct clone at the beginning of the fight while your past self repeats his actions and the hero adapts. Of course, the hero can do the same. You could also have it as a typical FPS but all the randoms are past selves :).

A game that doesn't give you the Required Secondary Powers]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RequiredSecondaryPowers]Required Secondary Powers we're accustomed too. Sure you can go at super-speed, but good luck having your eyes keep up with it. Would be much much funnier and riskier.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: April 09, 2015, 01:35:26 pm »

Boots of blinding speed?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: April 09, 2015, 06:53:54 pm »

A game that's part Borderlands (Random loot, varried enemies, cool classes and abilities), part Minecraft:IguanaTinkerTweaks (Loot levels up, you can swap out parts on loot, and soooooo many levels of loot), and part Perplexicon (MAGIC THROUGH GIBBERISH, CRAZY EFFECTS, RIDICULOUS COMBINATIONS, LOOOOOOOOT).
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 577