Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 905214 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5535 on: July 21, 2015, 06:31:49 pm »

Exists already. Can't remember the name but it's due to be released on PC and XBone, I think.
Then find it!
Must...have...awesome...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: July 21, 2015, 07:01:24 pm »

A game where four players cooperate to survive in a randomly generated haunted house thingamagjig semi-dungeon, trying to find the crystals they need to win.

The problem being the house itself has an AI that wants the players dead. And it learns what the players hate... and uses that...
I can only dream.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: July 21, 2015, 07:17:35 pm »

Exists already. Can't remember the name but it's due to be released on PC and XBone, I think.
Then find it!
Must...have...awesome...
While you are being very rude, I went and looked it up anyway.
Fable Legends.
You're welcome.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: July 21, 2015, 07:25:16 pm »

Then find it!
Must...have...awesome...
While you are being very rude, I went and looked it up anyway.
Fable Legends.
You're welcome.
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5539 on: July 21, 2015, 08:16:58 pm »

One to eight players control heroes in a settlement in the heart of a vast wilderness. Ruins, lost cities, battlefields, wildlings, and monsters live in the depths of the forest, and the will threaten your villagers and you unless you are prepared for them.

The red moon is rising, and the wilderness gets fiercer of its own accord. You have to keep up or you will be destroyed.

Loot the players scrounge, equipment they forge, even potions they brew and other, stranger things they do allow the settlement to grow into a fortress or a city. Performing quests for specific settlers can help the entire colony, but when bears get through the walls and kill that NPC, you've permanently lost that questline, although you can find others in the wilderness... if you think you can trust them.

Survive the red moon, and perhaps your people will thrive. But it will be a long, dark night.

Honestly this would be great as a Skyrim total conversion if not for the multiplayer. Not sure how to do that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: July 21, 2015, 08:29:12 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to have a traditional antagonistic PvE encounter, in which both sides are played by players.
Have you tried hack-and-slash R.P.G.s, Dungeons and dragons for example, with a human Game-master? Possibly the single greatest moment in computer-gaming history was when someone realised that they could have all the dungeon-looting joys of a table-top R.P.G. but without needing a group of people...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: July 21, 2015, 09:03:01 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to have a traditional antagonistic PvE encounter, in which both sides are played by players.
Have you tried hack-and-slash R.P.G.s, Dungeons and dragons for example, with a human Game-master? Possibly the single greatest moment in computer-gaming history was when someone realised that they could have all the dungeon-looting joys of a table-top R.P.G. but without needing a group of people...
D&D is all and well, but I think you missed the "both sides controlled by players" bit.  GMing something is LOTS OF WORK because you have to MAKE things.  The theory is, there's a bunch of premade stuff that NON-GMs control.

But seriously, D&D would have been mentioned if D&D was what was wanted, methinks.

Also, re: Close fight mechanics:
HP % remaining on the heroes averaged over the last thirty seconds of the fight or something.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:04:35 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: July 21, 2015, 09:11:46 pm »

Not really a game per se, but more of a possibility of a game mechanic:

I wonder if it would be possible to have a traditional antagonistic PvE encounter, in which both sides are played by players. That is, one side is a traditional group facing off against a powerful dungeon or raid boss, but that raid boss is controlled by a player themselves. Not aligned to PvP progression in any way, but mostly just... what would the result be if you had a human intelligence behind a raid boss' ability use?

Properly incentivizing both sides would be a problem. Well, the group has their usual incentive to win, but something has to exist to keep the Enemy from simply picking their nose while the group knocks over a loot pinata. Perhaps make it require a significant investment to queue up for the command encounter, to the degree that anyone queuing up does so out of selfishness for the rewards (so they have a strong incentive to win, otherwise they need to waste many hours/resources re-keying to become eligible to queue again). Probably reduced/secondary rewards for the loser in either case, maybe tiered for the Enemy if they put up a good show (if you could somehow categorize a "near loss" for example).

Maybe have some semi-autonomous nature to the encounter as well. Like, maybe you're not controlling just one unit, but a small group (think the various "council" fights seen in WoW) and you can hop between units to command them directly, or even hop out entirely and take a broader, tactical view...
There's CRAWL, which is a game where one player in the hero and the others are monsters.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: July 22, 2015, 04:33:55 pm »

I'd like to see a first person shooter and/or a tactical rpg featuring continuous non-euclidean and/or multiply connected maps. continuous maps! No abrupt level transitions or cop-out teleporters that only teleport the player and can't be seen through. I've occasionally seen it in puzzle games like Anti-Chamber and Hyperrogue, but the closest I've come to seeing it in an FPS is an old Quake mod that lets you shoot through the teleporters.

I want to see things like, for example, a circular corridor with a 100 yard circumfrence but with archways every ten yards on the inner side that each lead to 10 yard long corridors connecting to the corresponding archway on the opposite side of the main circular corridor; none of these interior corridors shall intersect, and all five shall be visually distinct from each other.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:35:36 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: July 22, 2015, 04:35:08 pm »

You could knock up a Source map in Hammer like that pretty quickly. The engine supports it, anyway.

EDIT: With these https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Linked_portal_door
EDIT2: And a demonstration of the kinds of things you could do with them https://youtu.be/_xFbRecjKQA
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:43:38 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: July 22, 2015, 04:40:48 pm »

I would like to see toribash with options for more in depth rules, or even a system for tracking right-of-way.

I've ben experimenting with the sword mods (specifically katana-fixed) and thought how much potential they had if only there were some way to enforce more rules in toribash. I find some sort of engagement in the first round, or inability to harm each other in the first round, is a great way to allow players to execute some amazing moves.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: July 22, 2015, 06:50:35 pm »

You could knock up a Source map in Hammer like that pretty quickly. The engine supports it, anyway.

EDIT2: And a demonstration of the kinds of things you could do with them https://youtu.be/_xFbRecjKQA

What's Hammer?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: July 22, 2015, 06:55:04 pm »

What's Hammer?

A free map building tool for games like Dota 2, CS:GO, TF2, Half-life 1/2, etcetera. You can download it right now if you have Steam.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: July 22, 2015, 06:58:41 pm »

So I could build Half-Life 1 levels with these in them?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: July 22, 2015, 07:03:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure you could, though I'm guessing it would require having to learn the ins and outs of the engine, which is honestly too complex for me.

Then again, almost anything technical like this easily frustrates me into quitting before anything I've learned about it sticks.
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 577