Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929408 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #6120 on: October 22, 2015, 02:45:27 pm »

...would something that's invisible cast a shadow? That doesn't make sense if the light is "passing through" the thing. If it's the "million microscopic LCD screens with cameras on the other side" idea, then that makes sense.

Depends on how luminous those tiny screens are.  If they're perfectly directional and as bright as the source illumination, you shouldn't have a shadow. 

The greater their margin of error, the more you have predator style distortion effects.  And due to the inverse square law, those sources might actually be brighter than the source illumination.  You could end up with bright colored lights shining on the ground where your shadow should be, like you're looking at the shadow of light coming through a stained glass window or something.

This has some potential.  You might thing you're facing the Color Out Of Space, or something like that, but it's just some dude with the gain on his invisibility cloak turned up too high.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: October 22, 2015, 02:55:56 pm »

Wasn't there some kind of "meta material" already developed that actually curved the light around you from every angle, giving you some kind of predator stealth already?

At any rate, if I were in the military I would consider "predator distortion" more than enough. Specially considering that those suits would see most use on cover ops at first, in low light, urban environments were they could work just enough. However as predator already thought us, thermal vision would be your friend against this kind of suits.

In the field they would be a killer too, the noise, general distractions and overall chaos of combat situations would lead them to be pretty effective if used properly.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: October 22, 2015, 02:59:48 pm »

Wasn't there some kind of "meta material" already developed that actually curved the light around you from every angle, giving you some kind of predator stealth already?

At any rate, if I were in the military I would consider "predator distortion" more than enough. Specially considering that those suits would see most use on cover ops at first, in low light, urban environments were they could work just enough. However as predator already thought us, thermal vision would be your friend against this kind of suits.

In the field they would be a killer too, the noise, general distractions and overall chaos of combat situations would lead them to be pretty effective if used properly.
That only does infrared or UV or something not visible light.
So ironically, you'd need normal eyes more.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: October 22, 2015, 04:04:33 pm »

That only does infrared or UV or something not visible light.
So ironically, you'd need normal eyes more.

Really? I recall seeing some pictures of regular spectrum light being "bended" with something that looked like a towel.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: October 22, 2015, 04:09:09 pm »

Also, the user's eyes would have to be uncovered, otheriswe If all light was simply bent around them they wouldn't be able to see anything because none of it would reach their eyes.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: October 22, 2015, 04:35:26 pm »

Also, the user's eyes would have to be uncovered, otheriswe If all light was simply bent around them they wouldn't be able to see anything because none of it would reach their eyes.
That's a given. Which is basically why the invisible man would blind too. Only that instead of light being bloked it would pass rigth trough his retinas.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: October 22, 2015, 04:49:33 pm »

Really? I recall seeing some pictures of regular spectrum light being "bended" with something that looked like a towel.

there have been a few different successes.  I'm having a hard time finding quality articles, the scientific ones lack pictures and the popular media ones are all garbage.

http://www.zdwired.com/harry-potter-style-invisibility-cloak/

But there is an example of one

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: October 22, 2015, 04:51:36 pm »

One would think if you lived in a world where that kind of invisibility is a thing, there would be counter measures against it. They aren't incorporeal. So they would still break laser trip wires. Even if they were using a metamateriel suit to bend the trip wire around them, it would still be displaced. You can have weight sensors embedded into the surfaces of sensitive areas, have nearly invisible strands that cover thresholds that registers when they're disturbed.  Have ultrasonic radar that can see their body. Infrared would still pick them up. They would make the area around themselves warmer then it should be. Unless they're in a fully insulated suit, then they have a pretty hard time limit before they broil themselves.

You could have security drones move erratically, which would make it harder for intruders to know when they can pass from one blind spot tot he next.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: October 22, 2015, 04:53:28 pm »

One would think if you lived in a world where that kind of invisibility is a thing, there would be counter measures against it.

Bonus points to Skyrim in that the guards actually hunt down invisible people in a rather believable way... sometimes a bit TOO well (damn their hearing is SHARP!)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6129 on: October 22, 2015, 04:56:56 pm »

One would think if you lived in a world where that kind of invisibility is a thing, there would be counter measures against it. They aren't incorporeal. So they would still break laser trip wires. Even if they were using a metamateriel suit to bend the trip wire around them, it would still be displaced. You can have weight sensors embedded into the surfaces of sensitive areas, have nearly invisible strands that cover thresholds that registers when they're disturbed.  Have ultrasonic radar that can see their body. Infrared would still pick them up. They would make the area around themselves warmer then it should be. Unless they're in a fully insulated suit, then they have a pretty hard time limit before they broil themselves.

You could have security drones move erratically, which would make it harder for intruders to know when they can pass from one blind spot tot he next.
Or just spray some extinguishers around... or better yet, flamethrowers.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #6130 on: October 22, 2015, 05:47:14 pm »

One would think if you lived in a world where that kind of invisibility is a thing, there would be counter measures against it.

Bonus points to Skyrim in that the guards actually hunt down invisible people in a rather believable way... sometimes a bit TOO well (damn their hearing is SHARP!)

Yet they seem to not notice my character when she's right in front of them. Once I was exploring a dungeon with a sneaky ranged assassin build character. I crept into the middle of the room without noticing anybody until I crept past a pillar. Suddenly, I see the option to pickpocket a bandit. I look up, straight up at a bandit leaning against the pillar. Ok then.

A couple of things:
How the hell did I not spot him sooner?
How the hell did he not see me? I just moved across a brightly lit room right in front of him. My sneak skill wasn't even that high. I even had a bloody follower! (Quest related. Couldn't get rid of the guy until the quest was finished.) He was in noisy heavy armour!
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: October 22, 2015, 08:52:15 pm »

How the hell did I not spot him sooner?

Maybe he was sneaking.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: October 23, 2015, 12:15:53 am »

Something similar to Postal 2 but with sidequests, a more completely destructible environment (fire should burn down wooden houses/structures and I should be able to bust a hole in a wall with the sledgehammer), and bystanders with a greater range of actions, reacrtons, and ages (ie. children and the elderly)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: October 23, 2015, 12:50:00 am »

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: October 23, 2015, 04:28:21 am »

I want a game similar to Oblivion or Skyrim, where there's an open world with lots of side-quest you can do, but the main quest can still go on without you, so you can watch the world actually go to hell if you don't save it.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 577