Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926802 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #6135 on: October 23, 2015, 04:33:53 am »

Just as long as the Devs Think of Everything and you can re-join the effort to save the world at any point... including after the world has (irreparably) gone to hell and the best you can do is kill the big bad who made it that way, to stop things from going worse. Sort of an FF6 model, except you can intervene or not at any so point you choose, up to and including letting the world go to Ruin and your only goal at that point is to kill the guy who made it that way.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: October 23, 2015, 05:10:50 am »

I want a game similar to Oblivion or Skyrim, where there's an open world with lots of side-quest you can do, but the main quest can still go on without you, so you can watch the world actually go to hell if you don't save it.
For what it's worth, Uplink's story carries on without your intervention. But it's set up so the "good guys" will always win, so as to not fuck the player while they're pissing around hacking banks or whatever.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: October 23, 2015, 12:20:50 pm »

I want a game similar to Oblivion or Skyrim, where there's an open world with lots of side-quest you can do, but the main quest can still go on without you, so you can watch the world actually go to hell if you don't save it.
For what it's worth, Uplink's story carries on without your intervention. But it's set up so the "good guys" will always win, so as to not fuck the player while they're pissing around hacking banks or whatever.
Well... the game ends if the bad guys win, doesn't it?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: October 23, 2015, 12:24:52 pm »

Yep. I guess during testing people weren't too pleased when they were doing their own thing and suddenly the game tells them they're fucked and deletes the save.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: October 23, 2015, 12:28:32 pm »

Yep. I guess during testing people weren't too pleased when they were doing their own thing and suddenly the game tells them they're fucked and deletes the save.
Probably. Not really the best way to do a good ending versus a bad one, so hopefully the guys over at Introversion learned that lesson.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: October 23, 2015, 12:38:31 pm »

It's not really a bad ending. It's just not very satisfying if you weren't personally involved. I guess the "good guy" ending isn't very interesting to not be involved in either, but at least it doesn't bother you either.

And speaking of Introversion: Subversion.
PA's done. Back to the impossible project!
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: October 23, 2015, 12:49:04 pm »

And speaking of Introversion: Subversion.
PA's done. Back to the impossible project!

I wish.  These days, leaving EA does not mean you're done.  It means you think the game is at a point that you can get a sales boost by taking off the EA label, but that you can continue to get good will and further sales as long as you continue to develop it.

Some of the features are still a little half baked, and I think they intend to go on working it as long as sales continue.

But yes, speaking of games I wish existed, Subversion for sure.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: October 23, 2015, 01:12:37 pm »

A competitive stealing game.  You play as two rival thieves guilds in a city inspired by the early Ottoman Empire, with light steampunk/magic elements (just enough to justify whatever game mechanics, because muskets are no fun).  You each have a stronghold that the other team cannot initially enter; in between your strongholds is a network of alleyways, open market areas, and guarded buildings.  The NPC citizens and guards do have an AI that lets them respond to the players, but its highly predictable and transparent; the other team is the main threat.  Your goal is to mug, pickpocket, and heist your way into more funds and then get them back to your stronghold, where half the funds go to you to buy upgrades and half go to the guild.  The teams can steal from each other as well as the NPC citizens; killing a player causes them to drop half their loot, stealing without killing gives all of it.  If you steal from the same shopkeeper or structure three consecutive times without the other team ever doing it you get a "protection" agreement with them, meaning you lose the ability to steal from them and instead get a steady flow of money at no effort, which you only lose if the other team does steal from them.  You can purchase security guards, traps, and the like to prevent this from happening, and also use the same tools to secure your stronghold.  The strongholds are protected by mysterious, shadowy door guards that magically prevent the other team from entering, but can be bribed; better entrances cost more money.  Once inside the enemy stronghold, you can steal their loot, or destroy their property to force them to pay for repairs; you win when the enemy's guild funds are reduced to 0.

Upgrades you can buy would include:
Knives speed up the process of mugging citizens, and can be thrown at enemy players to incapacitate them briefly.  Incapacitated players can be mugged to steal their loot.
Guns, mainly for killing enemy players.  Concealed guns all take multiple hits to kill and have at least a little bullet spread; while larger guns are perfectly accurate and some can score one-shot kills, but will get you attacked by guards very quickly if you leave your stronghold with them. 
Normally players are very obvious to the other team (although not to the NPCs) but they can buy disguises of the various types of citizens; citizen disguises merely hide your from the other team, while guards allow you to carry large weapons openly, and nobles/bankers/scholars/religious figures make it easier to infiltrate specific types of buildings.  In the crowded markets where players are trying to pickpocket everyone, having a disguise might let you pickpocket the other team.
Climbing claws/grappling hooks/various other tools to let you parkour everywhere.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6143 on: October 24, 2015, 12:22:53 am »

I like it. It works well with two players and with twenty.

I recommend combat being deadly but disposing of bodies difficult. You don't kill other PCs because then you have to hide the body before the guards show up.

I like the setting, but it started me thinking that there's actually very few martial arts games out there...

What if we move the setting to a nice Chinese dynasty, have the guilds be noble houses, and give the PCs martial arts abilities? Now the players are navigating a set of potential approaches, all of which demand judicious but not flagrant use of force.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: October 24, 2015, 12:48:47 am »

Real martial arts, or movie martial-arts with flying around and vsnishing in puffs of smoke and magically paralyzing people (like, in ways totally unrelated to the spinal cord, brain, or tendon injuries that real martial arts might realistifally inflict), and turning into a log and stuff?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:51:24 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: October 24, 2015, 04:55:39 pm »

Real martial arts, or movie martial-arts with flying around and vsnishing in puffs of smoke and magically paralyzing people (like, in ways totally unrelated to the spinal cord, brain, or tendon injuries that real martial arts might realistifally inflict), and turning into a log and stuff?

I got your realism right here, bub.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: October 24, 2015, 04:58:55 pm »

I got your realism right here, bub.

Definitely needs to be a game starring a hot chick in a Viking chainmail bikini with an Uzi.

Wait, are those spikes on her breasts? Poor bastard who tries to cop a feel.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: October 24, 2015, 09:18:57 pm »

That is entirely realistic. Anachronistic, and grossly impractical, but easily within physical potential and comfortably explained by social dynamics.
 To convert that image to a martial-arts setting, it would be akin to a martial art based upon the use of hot fish and chips wrapped in paper as a weapon. Such would be vaguely plausible, as one may find themselves walking around with such an armament and it would likely be the most potent, if short-lived, weapon in one's possession at the time, but in practical terms, its availability is extremely arbitrary and there are far more effective options if one has time to prepare.
For the image to match unrealistic martial arts, the lady in question would need to be single-handedly defeating an elite military force, while flying by using grossly-undersized wings, and the band of genuine vikings that she summoned from the past(who, for some reason, would have horns on their helmets, be wearing some sort of loincloths, and likely include many body-builders in their number...) would be busying themselves in the background by using their iron swords to cut holes in modern armoured military vehicles.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: October 24, 2015, 10:20:34 pm »

Definitely needs to be a game starring a hot chick in a Viking chainmail bikini with an Uzi.

Wait, are those spikes on her breasts? Poor bastard who tries to cop a feel.
Dude that's not an Uzi.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: October 24, 2015, 10:28:01 pm »

Duh, it is obviously an AK-47!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 577