Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 904938 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #7770 on: January 11, 2018, 08:06:43 pm »

No that's right, they won't complain about the adaptive difficulty, they'll just say "this game sucks" on the review, because reactive difficulty is almost impossible to get right, and almost always throws the game balance way off. Game balance is something it takes an extreme amount of playtesting to get right, randomly messing with that with an algorithm will fail 99.9999% of the time.

Didn't Resident Evil 4 feature a hidden dynamic difficulty feature?

And wasn't that game pretty well received?

Even things that are almost impossible can still be achieved, even if there is only one instance of it happening.
Yup.
So, doing it but not telling anyone can work. More than 0.0001% of the time, because Reel is a silly goose.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: January 12, 2018, 12:32:26 am »

You are wrong. You're trying to argue that an entirely different style of game is a sequel.   Thats like saying if you have 2 horror movies and then make a comedy romance that continues the story its a sequel.

Its not, its 2 entirely seperate games in the same world

Fallout 3NV is NOT a sequel to 1/2.

TBS is not the same as fps.  What part about that do you not understand?

Or if that example isn't clear enough. Would be like having Texas Chainsaw massacre 5- "leatherface gets some love" as a romantic comedy without any violence or gore and calling it a sequel. But its the story they wanted to write, its a continuation; that makes it a true sequel!  Then trying to argue to people that hey, the writers of texas chainsaw massacre 1-2 wrote the story, that makes it a real sequel.  No, no it doesn't.

To me, a sequel is a continuation of an experience.
(Except for when it's a continuation of the gameplay ideas in a new or loosely related setting.)

Every literary definition of the word sequel ever would like to explain some things to you two.

I'm not begrudging anyone what they feel about the game, but I have seen no viable argument that it is not a sequel to the original Fallout games.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:37:35 am by Tegga21 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: January 12, 2018, 12:45:32 am »

Eh? NV is a totally viable sequel to FO1 and 2. Same world, continuation of the same story, same developers, and most of the same game mechanics, really. I was just saying that continuation of the story is not required to be a sequel, like how final fantasy or dark souls kinda don't give a shit about the plots of earlier games despite being the same series and having the same basic gameplay.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: January 12, 2018, 01:27:02 am »

I suspect that this has gotten off-topic. I want to say something about the works of Tolkien but feel the need to refrain so be thankful that you have dodges a potential wall of text and pray that others not evoke such a horror...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: January 12, 2018, 01:39:07 am »

I wish any game existed that was made by me.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: January 12, 2018, 02:06:05 am »

I wish that the one game that was made by me still existed and wasn't deleted in that standard system reset between years that I didn't know about. Even though it just consisted of a 3x3 grid of consistently increasing digits and the gameplay just consisted of adding numbers from the outside to the middle and pressing a button to delete the middle value with a score exponentially raised by the middle value to encourage risk taking. And it had a difficulty setting to adjust the speed and though it had no proper graphics it did have a failure jingle that was a rendition of, ummm whatever it is that goes, umm, something like... daa daa daa daa da-daa da-daa da-daa or thereabouts... which I totally ripped off of another game, well, not the programming part, but the tune...

So yes, even if a game did exist that you had made, it wouldn't necessarily be good, noteworthy, or extant.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: January 12, 2018, 02:11:50 am »

I made Snake on a graphing calculator in high school.  Using the internal language where it changes pixels one at a time.  Out of all many games I've attempted, its the only one I've completed and distributed.  Probably a dozen people got it off my calculator, and then it got passed along.  It might still exist somewhere, but I doubt it.  Those things don't seem like they'd last too many years.  I certainly don't have a copy.

Normally I can't stick with a project long enough to complete it.  Holy fuck health class was boring.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: January 12, 2018, 09:14:43 am »

A spaceship-building game like Reassembly, but you have to build every gun by yourself, and all machinery is based on reactions between elements. Also, planets you can deorbit. You program the AI for ore refineries, spaceships, etc, using flowcharts. Engineering game?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: January 12, 2018, 05:18:55 pm »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/476530/Children_of_a_Dead_Earth/
Realistic space warfare game. You build your own space ships from modules, which you can in turn design and tweak. You can change your rocket's fuel mixture, the shape of your engine's nozzle, the length of your railguns, and even the shape and size of nuclear weapons. You can't deorbit planets because that would be silly and doesn't fit with the rest of the suggestion.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: January 12, 2018, 08:30:16 pm »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/476530/Children_of_a_Dead_Earth/
Realistic space warfare game. You build your own space ships from modules, which you can in turn design and tweak. You can change your rocket's fuel mixture, the shape of your engine's nozzle, the length of your railguns, and even the shape and size of nuclear weapons. You can't deorbit planets because that would be silly and doesn't fit with the rest of the suggestion.

Oh, nice! I was looking for something a bit more gamey, but this looks good.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: January 13, 2018, 02:15:47 pm »

A spaceship-building game like Reassembly, but you have to build every gun by yourself, and all machinery is based on reactions between elements. Also, planets you can deorbit. You program the AI for ore refineries, spaceships, etc, using flowcharts. Engineering game?

You'd probably love Iron Seed. It's old, abandonware., So you should be able to find it. You're a master AI managing several others (who you also need to care for), and you need to maintain your ship with gathered resources. Except, you build everything from base materials and the time scale is pretty epic. Good thing you don't have an organic crew!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: January 13, 2018, 05:39:18 pm »

Iron Seed is actually open source nowadays.

This version should build on Linux, but I can't find binaries aside from the old DOS version.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:43:48 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: January 13, 2018, 06:07:09 pm »

I wish any game existed that was made by me.

Start small. Basically think like a writer: starting "a novel" is the worst way to get into writing, you need to start by writing short stories first. People get into indie gaming then decide to make a huge RPG or be-all-end-all space shooter right off the bat. This is the wrong approach for most people. Think about the least-complex games you can make, then make them all. Each one will have unique challenges, but you learn from each one as you go. Tic Tac Toe. Tetris. Pac Man. Pong -> Breakout -> Space Invaders -> Galaga -> 1942 -> Raiden -> Touhou is one possible development pathway. All these games can be built off the same growing codebase.

On the Extra Credits podcast (youtube: and recommended viewing for all wannabe game creators) they had a segment with advice for becoming a starting game designer. Plan out to make one game, in a week. That should include starting, completing and polishing the game, to the point where the game is "done" and you stick it up on itch.io, no matter how simple it is. The point is: it's a playable thing that you can show to other people. This is how it's done. Playable prototypes that you brush your hands off and say "well that ones done, now I'll make another one".

The alternative, and where people get stuck is by starting their "dream project" and never actually finishing it. Those "games" are often never in a "playable" state until much later. Build simple games, focusing on the "game loop" of actions that the player undertakes. Get playable demos out, even if they look like balls. You can always polish up the most promising ones later, but by making tons of prototypes, you can see which ones get the best feedback before expending additional effort on any one of them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:22:29 pm by Reelya »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: January 13, 2018, 07:38:59 pm »

Pretty sure Japa has made games before? That arms dealer one, right?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: January 13, 2018, 10:08:55 pm »

Pretty sure Japa has made games before? That arms dealer one, right?

You're talking about Pimiko Plus?

That's made by a "Noyemi K." I believe. Noyemi's also a sprite artist, so they did the artwork themselves too. Dunno how they started developing games or making pixel art, though.
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 577