Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 905178 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #8115 on: March 22, 2019, 07:19:43 pm »

I want a semi-autonomous colony sim game. One where I *can* choose what goes on, but if I just let the game run the citizens will do things like build farms and roads and whatnot on their own. Maybe they make decent decisions, maybe they don't, but it's all organic and based on what's easiest or maybe based on the personality traits of the citizens. So a lazy farmer will just grab the nearest plot of land to the town that'll support crops while a more ambitious one will head further out to grab a more fertile/larger plot of farmland.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: March 24, 2019, 04:49:33 pm »

I've had an idea for  an RPG where the story is very Truman Show-esque. Where if you play it "normally" it guides you along a pretty traditional JRPG quest of linear story, with your standard diverse roster of allies, who travel about the world going from town to town and dungeon to dungeon, to fight your 2-dimensionally evil final boss and live happily ever after with your shallow designated romantic interest.

For astute players however who pick up on the seams of the world and the storytelling, the players can go against the intended path and objectives, and slowly learn that the entire quest is a sham, all your allies/NPC's/Enemies are actors, the world you live in is an elaborate cage to keep you living out an idle and meaningless fantasy for all eternity over and over. Of course, this would be fairly difficult, as not only would the clues be hidden and benign enough that experienced players would brush them off as 'accepted cliches' that come with the territory of game playing; but also that the quest would be very robust against your attempts to break it. If you try to sequence break, the story changes to accommodate it, if you interrogate your "allies" they play dumb and persist in maintaining the illusion at all costs, and it's only when you can really prove beyond doubt that the world and your quest is fake does it start to crumble, it rapidly unravels and the entire world at once becomes hostile, having failed to keep you sedated and therefore has to try to eliminate you to keep you from escaping your 'cage'.

The entire idea is very Matrix-like in that regard. I don't know if there's any game like that already in existence, it sounds like something that would be very "woke" and therefore something an indie would atleast have tried with a low budget game. What I have imagined though isn't something I've ever stumbled across though.

Back about 15 years ago I used to hang around on the RPGmaker forums and weirdly, someone actually made pretty much exactly what you're describing!! I can't remember the name, or much about it at all but you were basically on a typical 'save the world' quest and as you got further and further through the game you started noticing random bits that weren't right. In one of the few bits I remember, an NPC mentioned something in a quest before you did it, and when you brought it up in conversation none of the people on your team could remember it and kept changing the subject.

Pretty terrible game action wise, but it was a sort of minor hit in the community due to how creepy it was. Even with the terrible stock top-down graphics it still managed to make you feel really, really alone in a way that few games manage.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8117 on: March 25, 2019, 10:46:15 am »

If you can find out what that game is called please share, I'm dead interested

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: March 26, 2019, 03:37:57 am »

I want a semi-autonomous colony sim game. One where I *can* choose what goes on, but if I just let the game run the citizens will do things like build farms and roads and whatnot on their own. Maybe they make decent decisions, maybe they don't, but it's all organic and based on what's easiest or maybe based on the personality traits of the citizens. So a lazy farmer will just grab the nearest plot of land to the town that'll support crops while a more ambitious one will head further out to grab a more fertile/larger plot of farmland.

This!  :)
A kind of "Majesty", but with focus on building and production instead of combat. The Sovereign sets the law, and can mandate special initiatives, but the citizens otherwise do as they want.
… Of cause, ‘as they want’ is something that takes a brain like Toady's to model right.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: March 27, 2019, 08:15:19 pm »

Majesty 2 has a really funny intro
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: March 28, 2019, 09:54:59 am »

Yeah, pretty much Majesty but a colony sim instead of a defend against the monsters game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: March 30, 2019, 04:12:47 am »

Majesty 2 has a really funny intro
I don't remember the intro much, but if you say it was really funny then I'll accept that it was the one good thing about that game.

Yeah, pretty much Majesty but a colony sim instead of a defend against the monsters game.

There's that "Foundations" game, but I think that was more about letting new peasants build their houses just wherever. Would definitely be fun to see a city/colony expand and develop organically under gentle suggestions.

There's also Crest, the god sim game, but I've heard it doesn't really live up to the hype.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: March 30, 2019, 07:04:22 am »

i was on a nostalgia trip last night, and i came across a song i havent heard in years and it rocked my face off. an incredible feat for a chiptune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WsFRWuFBuk

this is what i want, a 3D remake of maniac mansion, with updated but still classic music.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: March 30, 2019, 11:17:38 am »

I want an Amazon Alexa party game about brexit, where people get to shout at a Theresa May chatbot, refereed by John Bercow.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: April 03, 2019, 08:36:56 am »

I want a crafting/survival game that's actually challenging after the first few days (but you can survive that long) without needing bad combat like Don't Stave.

Maybe something similar in difficulty to the Robinson Crusoe board game, but with more options (which, I understand, screws with the balance). Needing to think about "stockpile food" or "build shelter so a storm/animal doesn't wreck your stockpile" in that game keeps it challenging most of the time.

Preferably first person and multiplayer, but whatever.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 08:39:02 am by Iduno »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: April 05, 2019, 10:48:09 am »

You may want to check out Unreal World. It's pretty good in that respect. Not that you can't get yourself to the point where starvation is unlikely, but it takes a while and surviving over the winter can be pretty difficult even if you were doing good in the fall.
Come play Mafia with us!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: April 05, 2019, 10:42:28 pm »

Just watched the horror movie "Us" by Jordan Peele. It's a really good, quality movie, I'd recommend it. It's premise also lends itself rather well to a video game.

Spoiler: MAD SPOILERS (click to show/hide)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: April 07, 2019, 04:44:55 pm »

The game I wish existed, is the Godus that Peter Molyneux promised us. Not to be confused with the train wreck that he actually delivered.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: April 07, 2019, 06:04:58 pm »

The game I wish existed, is the [X] that Peter Molyneux promised us. Not to be confused with the train wreck that he actually delivered.

More accurate, at least for me.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 577