Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 904745 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #8175 on: May 13, 2019, 03:27:28 pm »

an MMORPG where classes exist but players learn it along the way as a professional title rather than something forced by the start

Didn't Star Wars Galaxies do that at launch, except it turned out to be incredibly unpopular so a year or so in, they opened up full class selection from the start? Which basically meant that people who spent the last year grinding their way to Jedi Knight got screwed over.
I think Jedi stuff didnt get worked in for years.

But the game was super popular for quite a while.

Launch in June 2003, 'New Game Enhancement' update in November 2005, so two and a half years.

I recall the general media around it giving the impression it was popular as a whole, but there was enough of a vocal group who were upset that you basically started off as a grunt unable to do much of anything flashy, so they did what they did to give it a more exciting/dramatic introduction. I wholeheartedly admit that I could be wrong; I skipped over SWG myself.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: May 14, 2019, 12:01:18 am »

Another one for the list of "Sonic games I want to see that will probably never get made."

I want to see a game adaptation of the upcoming Sonic movie. Complete with the original Sonic design, as seen in the trailer and leaked promotional material.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: May 14, 2019, 02:59:02 am »

Based on the events of my dream:

A multiplayer Castlevania game for up to 8 players.

Dracula's castle has once again reappeared, but there is no Dracula.

Two teams have entered it. Team of vampires, seeking to become Dracula, and team Belmont, seeking to prevent Dracula from starting an age of darkness.

Each team can have up to 4 members, but there may never be more vampire players than human players. Should there be no vampire players, there will be 1 computer controlled vampire, who will cheat slightly. (Be slightly faster than a player controlled vampire and have infinite MP.)

Should a member of a team be defeated, they will be out for 2 minutes, then reappear near a standing teammember. Should all members of a team be defeated at the same time, they start in their entrance.

The vampires gain power from absorbing souls of monsters (ala Aria of Sorrow), humans from collecting equipment.

In the castle, there are respawning regular enemies and bosses. Bosses stay dead when killed and should they be killed by a vampire, always drop a soul. If they are killed by a human, they drop a piece of equipment.
Once all bosses are killed, the throne room opens and the vampires are teleported to it. The vampire with most boss souls then becomes Dracula and his power after transformation depends on percentage of bosses killed by vampires. Should there be a tie on most boss monster, it is broken by regular monster souls. Should there be a tie on that as well, the tied vampires have to fight it out.
Should the vampires fail to kill even a single boss, the humans win by default, because the Dracula transformation does not happen.
Should all bosses be killed by vampires, the vampires win by default, because the resulting Dracula is too powerful.

Once the humans arrive to the throne room, all deaths are final. The team that defeats the other team wins the game.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: May 14, 2019, 03:30:28 am »

Based on the events of my dream:

A multiplayer Castlevania game for up to 8 players.

I like it, but how's this for enhancing the respawn system:

Defeated vampires revert to a blood mist (or smoke, or cloud of bats, whichever would be more canonical for Castlevania; I haven't kept up with them since SNES/DS) and can be revived by another vampire sacrificing their souls or retreating back to their start position? This gives the vampires the tactical option of saying 'screw you' to one of their teammates and refusing to revive them faster in exchange for personally being more powerful (and more likely for themselves to become the new Dracula), and something slightly more interesting to do instead of just waiting a few minutes.

Humans can do something similar; as long as they're not in combat, they can spend some time to pick up their comrades and lose nothing. If nobody picks them up, humans have decently long respawn back at their starting point (Another Challenger Appears!... Simon Belmont's nephew's neighbor's ex-fiancee's cousin.).

The point is that humans 'should' be working together regardless of the situation since it's the end of the world otherwise, and thus get to help each other out freely and are collectively penalized for not doing so, whereas only a single vampire can become Dracula so, while they would prefer somebody on their team winning, there's still the selfish option of not wasting your own power to help the team.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: May 14, 2019, 04:20:44 am »

In my dream, I was helping mr. Belmont and he had a teleport spell, with which he could teleport one of us to safety, where we would heal. The spell had a cooldown of about 2 minutes.

Your suggested respawn system is however better.

Edit:
I suppose that the magic system works as follows:
Vampires have a regenerating pool of MP, from which they cast spells gained from souls. Casting a spell has an animation, 0.1 to 5s long, depending on which spell it is, and during this animation it can be interrupted.

Humans do not have MP and can not cast spells by themselves. They can find magic items, which they can use for casting the spells. Using a magic item is instant, but items that are reusable have cooldown, depending on what the item does. These cooldowns range from 30s (for a simple damaging beam) to 30min (for a spell that fully heals and buffs all humans in a room, while killing all regular enemies there and dealing significant damage to everything else).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:46:44 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: May 15, 2019, 11:41:37 pm »

I like the idea of the Roguelike as a procedural dungeon crawl where emergent or otherwise interesting things can happen. What I don't like is that almost always Roguelike gameplay consists of clearing everything out, becoming as powerful as you can, and then overcoming some final challenge that you had no chance of defeating at the start of the dungeon.

To me, dungeons aren't a place where you go to gain in power, and if you weren't prepared to defeat the big bad from the start, why did you come here? It's a weird compression of the level 1 to level 20 DnD arc within a single dungeon.

What I'd prefer is a game where you start out powerful and prepared, with the challenge being in keeping that power and preparedness through challenges that wear you down. Rather than fighting everything you can for exp and exploring every room for items all so that you can grow strong enough to defeat future enemies, you'd want to avoid conflict and just try to get closer to the end without wasting supplies.

This would mean a shift in gameplay away from straight combat towards stealth, survival, and possibly diplomacy. Fighting the tribe of horrible nasty frog people means digging into your supplies of antivenom, helping them out with their problems might get them to help you instead.

This would also lend itself to a preparation phase before you start the dungeon crawl proper. How much food will you need? How much water? How much lantern oil? Maybe you can hear rumors about the dungeon and make more special preparations.

I don't entirely dislike the idea of finding things that let you gain in strength during the game itself, but it should be the exception rather than the rule. Or rather, a gift from the RNG rather than a core gameplay mechanic. :P
Things like unique magic weapons beyond anything you could find in the outside world, or sinister magical rites to help you survive just a little longer.

Closest thing I can think of to this idea is Darkest Dungeon. I'd prefer something with more non-combat gameplay, more procedural elements, and no metagame between runs though.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: May 16, 2019, 03:45:27 am »

I think what you're describing is kind of like a roguelike that starts in the middle, where you've escaped the early game hell of not having anything and now the challenge is more about knowing what to do in a given situation.

I don't entirely dislike the idea of finding things that let you gain in strength during the game itself, but it should be the exception rather than the rule. Or rather, a gift from the RNG rather than a core gameplay mechanic. :P
Things like unique magic weapons beyond anything you could find in the outside world, or sinister magical rites to help you survive just a little longer.

I think the very nature of playing a game in order to win would mean that, no matter how exceptional you make these things, they become essential to beating it. Like a Nethack player dipping every sword into every fountain they find; it doesn't matter how rare the good outcome is, the fact that a good outcome exists at all makes it essential.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: May 16, 2019, 10:15:48 am »

If I remember correctly, they had set up some arcane and undocumented path of classes you had to follow before you unlocked jedi classes, and it took 3-ish years before someone accidentally stumbled upon it. I'm not saying they didn't have the jedi classes completed at release, but if they didn't, that's a hell of a way to hide it.

I like the idea of the Roguelike as a procedural dungeon crawl where emergent or otherwise interesting things can happen. What I don't like is that almost always Roguelike gameplay consists of clearing everything out, becoming as powerful as you can, and then overcoming some final challenge that you had no chance of defeating at the start of the dungeon.

To me, dungeons aren't a place where you go to gain in power, and if you weren't prepared to defeat the big bad from the start, why did you come here? It's a weird compression of the level 1 to level 20 DnD arc within a single dungeon.

What I'd prefer is a game where you start out powerful and prepared, with the challenge being in keeping that power and preparedness through challenges that wear you down. Rather than fighting everything you can for exp and exploring every room for items all so that you can grow strong enough to defeat future enemies, you'd want to avoid conflict and just try to get closer to the end without wasting supplies.

Something similar to this? Not everything you said, but you start capable (magic tools and everything), and it's more about knowing how to play than your character improving.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:19:50 am by Iduno »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: May 16, 2019, 04:38:57 pm »

If I remember correctly, they had set up some arcane and undocumented path of classes you had to follow before you unlocked jedi classes, and it took 3-ish years before someone accidentally stumbled upon it. I'm not saying they didn't have the jedi classes completed at release, but if they didn't, that's a hell of a way to hide it.

I don't know about the "incomplete" part, but my understanding was that you had to master a random selection of the class/skill lines, and they vary per character. At some point, players could use holocrons to find out what they should master "next" (I don't think it had to be in a given order but the holocron would tell you a skill you had to master, and all holocrons would tell you the same skill until you mastered it). This sometimes required "respeccing" because you didn't have enough available skill-space to master the next thing. I'm not sure what happened after you mastered everything you needed to, whether the character that did all that opened the force-sensitive skills, or if they had to create a new character to access them.

The idea that it took 3 years seem questionable, though. There were definitely jedi before the NGE, and as mentioned earlier NGE released less than three years after launch. The utility of holocrons might have been added with the NGE, though, causing a great proliferation of force-sensitive characters. Then the CU hit that did away with the dynamic skill masteries and just let you choose classes, jedi/sith being one of them.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: May 16, 2019, 07:28:19 pm »

A Pax Nova game with real time battles?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: May 18, 2019, 08:45:45 pm »

A brawler kind of like Dead Rising or Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku as far as weapons go - you could either find purpose-built weapons, or you can also pick up whatever the hell's lying around and use that as a bludgeon/missile.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: May 20, 2019, 01:08:22 pm »

A dating simulator set in a zombie apocalypse.
Impress your dates with your zombie-killing prowess!
Scavenge abandoned buildings for the perfect gift!
Repopulate the human race!
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: May 21, 2019, 01:23:23 pm »

RDepopulate the human race!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: May 21, 2019, 02:02:22 pm »

RDepopulate the human race!

a zombie dating game, huh.

what you see: "im having such a great time!" as you frolic through a field of flowers

what the survivor sees: a zombie chasing after me, who's groans sound like "LOVE ME DAMMIT"
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: May 21, 2019, 02:43:17 pm »

Do you want Warm Bodies? Because this is how you get Warm Bodies.
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 577