Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 904724 times)

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #8595 on: August 12, 2022, 04:46:51 pm »

Paradox did actually publish a game based in prohibition era Chicago.

It… leaves a lot to be desired. It’s basically Gangsters 2 with the more recent XCOM turn-based tactics tacked on. Very disappointing.

I’ve been in the same boat as you for years though, Gangsters was a tremendous game.

Ah yes, I forgot about Empire of Sin. Which I suppose is fair since it is not anything like G:OG, except for the theme. Shame. Also I had my hopes up for City of Gangsters but it turned out to be a logistics tycoon game with a gangster skin. Sad.

Ehh, maybe one day, someone, somehow, will make the mafia boss dream come true...

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8596 on: August 13, 2022, 08:37:29 am »

Paradox did actually publish a game based in prohibition era Chicago.

It… leaves a lot to be desired. It’s basically Gangsters 2 with the more recent XCOM turn-based tactics tacked on. Very disappointing.

I’ve been in the same boat as you for years though, Gangsters was a tremendous game.

Ah yes, I forgot about Empire of Sin. Which I suppose is fair since it is not anything like G:OG, except for the theme. Shame. Also I had my hopes up for City of Gangsters but it turned out to be a logistics tycoon game with a gangster skin. Sad.

Ehh, maybe one day, someone, somehow, will make the mafia boss dream come true...

What's the most interesting thing about being a mafia boss? Just the theme/flavor?

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: August 13, 2022, 08:44:43 am »

Add realistic physics and technology (limited fuel, thrust not at scifi omgwtf levels) and it can still be difficult to navigate, despite being empty.
Children of a Dead Earth has something I could call "plausible modern" technology.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: August 13, 2022, 10:18:26 am »

I would love to play a game with a medium to large adventuring party, so 5-8, where you are running something like 2 control mages, 1 support mage, 1 buff mage, 1 debuff mage, 1 damage mage, 1 affliction/DoT mage, and one frontline tank mage.

For my purposes the battles in the Owlcat games are too short, and they don't have truly interesting buffs/debuffs or afflictions/DoTs and also I'm not a fan of classes even if they kludge them with multi-classing, prestige classing, and archtypes. At that point just let us take the 4-5 building blocks of each class and mash them up any way we like.

A key issue with these games, aside from character creation, is that you pre-buff before battles, drop a few debuffs, maybe, and then smash to win in like 5 rounds of actual battle. Also you can't really stack afflictions/dots/debuffs in a sort of spiraling way. Always wanted to play mages who weren't just high dps.

Also all DnD/PF buff spells are lame except Haste. +1 size, +2 DEX, etc.

I'd really like a native to pc rpg system instead of adapting tabletop which is very illogical since the limitations and benefits of pc and tabletop are extremely different. I know it is mostly a matter of marketing potential.

newtyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: August 13, 2022, 10:26:16 am »

One player controls chess pieces, while the other has checkers pieces.

I think chess might have the advantage, but then again checkers can take multiple pieces in a turn given an opening.

Checkers basically can't win. They are bound to black spaces, so all chess has to do is stay on white spaces unless there is a good opening to take something.
The solution I used to fix that is to have some checkers on red/white as well as the black spaces. And if the chess side manages to clear out all of the pieces on one color they win. I had a lot of fun playing it. Along with a couple other checker varients.

Double checkers is also pretty fun. You have two simultaneous games of checkers on the same board. One on the black squares the other on the white. But you only get one turn. So when your turn arrives you have to choose which game to use it on. And since they both share the same board you have to see past one game to clearly see the condition of the other.

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8600 on: August 13, 2022, 12:02:39 pm »

What's the most interesting thing about being a mafia boss? Just the theme/flavor?

That cool feeling of creating a crime empire/machine, with hoods walking around, collecting extortion money, making witnesses "disappear", setting up illegal businesses, expanding your territory week by week (and marking it with your gang color) and getting away with all of it. And all of it happening in a big, living world. Basically you can feel like Vito Corleone.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8601 on: August 13, 2022, 12:35:52 pm »

That cool feeling of creating a crime empire/machine, with hoods walking around, collecting extortion money, making witnesses "disappear", setting up illegal businesses, expanding your territory week by week (and marking it with your gang color) and getting away with all of it. And all of it happening in a big, living world. Basically you can feel like Vito Corleone.

Okay so ideally a world with existing normal authorities you are dodging, shady business and politics, and shadow economy stuff.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8602 on: August 13, 2022, 08:19:51 pm »

You can try Liberal Crime Squad! It is similar in some aspects, even though it's more about an undercover insurgent army than a criminal gang.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8603 on: August 13, 2022, 08:23:24 pm »

It’s not the same, however it is certainly enjoyable. I tend to do solo runs quite a lot.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8604 on: August 13, 2022, 10:37:37 pm »

Missed the convo about space but I'm dying for a game that captures the feel of the Expanse, especially the combat parts. Something that captures the thrill of 30 G burns and turns as PDC rounds shred your ship and turn everyone into ribbons.

Hell, you could make an entire GTA plot arc just with Belters trying to make a living, a la Franklin and Lamar, although reusing the GTA V plot so blatantly would be kinda meh, I just love how that show depicts the seedier parts of life.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8605 on: August 14, 2022, 06:18:50 am »

Delta-V: Rings of Saturn comes pretty close to capturing the Belter experience, imo.

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8606 on: August 14, 2022, 06:38:00 am »

Okay so ideally a world with existing normal authorities you are dodging, shady business and politics, and shadow economy stuff.

On one hand you are dodging authorities, but on the other you are subverting them (by bribes, intimidating witnesses etc). Just the ability to dodge is not enough to make you feel like a mob boss. You first need to have a full living city, with citizens, businesses, city officials, policy, journalists etc first and then you add a gang into the simulation, as a sort of active/subversive element, like a virus.

And also another important element which made G:OG so great: it was a sandbox experience with no missions or quests. Everything you achieved in-game was planned and executed by you, however you wanted it to happen. This way, whatever you managed to extort, steal, buy, felt really like your property. This is why I was thinking about PDox trying to make a PDox style GSG about Gangsters, but they choose X-Com lite with some management elements and scripted missions.

You can try Liberal Crime Squad! It is similar in some aspects, even though it's more about an undercover insurgent army than a criminal gang.

I did play LCS and it was cool, just could really use nicer graphics and UI. But other than that I really liked it.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: August 15, 2022, 10:43:55 pm »

On one hand you are dodging authorities, but on the other you are subverting them (by bribes, intimidating witnesses etc). Just the ability to dodge is not enough to make you feel like a mob boss. You first need to have a full living city, with citizens, businesses, city officials, policy, journalists etc first and then you add a gang into the simulation, as a sort of active/subversive element, like a virus.

And also another important element which made G:OG so great: it was a sandbox experience with no missions or quests. Everything you achieved in-game was planned and executed by you, however you wanted it to happen. This way, whatever you managed to extort, steal, buy, felt really like your property. This is why I was thinking about PDox trying to make a PDox style GSG about Gangsters, but they choose X-Com lite with some management elements and scripted missions.

I did play LCS and it was cool, just could really use nicer graphics and UI. But other than that I really liked it.

I just scrolled up and found Gangster: Organized Crime game you were mentioning. Is it worth a try? I love old games and I agree with you, because I've wanted to play a crime game like this before, with emergent sim-like elements rather than the typical strategy game linearity or the Paradox number-salad approach.

I generally kinda enjoy Paradox games but the number salad approach they take tends to bore me. You can only get so far with abstracting everything as various numbers and coefficients and things. True emergent behavior in a game can be a drug, and it doesn't have to be complicated or expensive either, since you can get very cool interactions from very simple rules (e.g, Conway's life) and it's a recipe I wish devs would try more. (Of course, such systems can be very chaotic and hard to predict or balance, but that adds to the fun  :P)
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8608 on: August 17, 2022, 04:40:25 am »

I just scrolled up and found Gangster: Organized Crime game you were mentioning. Is it worth a try? I love old games and I agree with you, because I've wanted to play a crime game like this before, with emergent sim-like elements rather than the typical strategy game linearity or the Paradox number-salad approach.

I generally kinda enjoy Paradox games but the number salad approach they take tends to bore me. You can only get so far with abstracting everything as various numbers and coefficients and things. True emergent behavior in a game can be a drug, and it doesn't have to be complicated or expensive either, since you can get very cool interactions from very simple rules (e.g, Conway's life) and it's a recipe I wish devs would try more. (Of course, such systems can be very chaotic and hard to predict or balance, but that adds to the fun  :P)

Yes, G:OG is definitely worth a look. You can get a copy over at GOG for a few bucks. Be aware that it's a game from 1998, so the UI and graphics are really dated. But it's definitely worth to play at least a few times.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: August 17, 2022, 08:12:21 am »

It’s broken though, since one of the anti-piracy things was that your guys stay in jail forever, and the only way to get it to work on modern systems (and is in-built to the GOG version) is a no-cd patch that kicks that in.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 577