Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 905242 times)

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #8610 on: August 17, 2022, 09:38:48 am »

It’s broken though, since one of the anti-piracy things was that your guys stay in jail forever, and the only way to get it to work on modern systems (and is in-built to the GOG version) is a no-cd patch that kicks that in.

Ahh yes, there are some issues with the GOG version. However here's a link to a patch which works for me: https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/wiki/Gangsters-Organized-Crime

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8611 on: August 17, 2022, 09:43:40 am »

That’s not the problem I was referring to, but it is an issue with older games on modern systems. I think I played it in a virtual machine with Windows 98 heh.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8612 on: August 17, 2022, 10:41:29 am »

It works just fine on Win 10, no anty-piracy stuff, hoods walk and complete orders normally.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: August 17, 2022, 10:59:34 am »

The game is fine other than the hoods stuck in jail forever if they get arrested. The GOG version includes the no-cd patch that causes that because it’s the only way to get the game to run.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8614 on: August 20, 2022, 07:19:37 pm »

I would love to play a turn based tactics/rpg game with fights that last longer than 5-10 "turns". Like a truly tactical spell fight. Not quite Magic: The Gathering and certainly not deck based but like, each character taking at least ~40 actions on average before dying or killing an enemy. And if you focus fire or something in an 8v8 fight then it should take like 5 actions per character on average to kill one enemy.

Preperatory buffs, terrain and battlefield control magic, trading debuffs and control spells and countering spells during and after they are cast. Like disrupting a storm spell before it finishes.

Battles of attrition and bluff and counterbluff and positional trades.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: August 20, 2022, 07:40:33 pm »

I would love to play a turn based tactics/rpg game with fights that last longer than 5-10 "turns". Like a truly tactical spell fight. Not quite Magic: The Gathering and certainly not deck based but like, each character taking at least ~40 actions on average before dying or killing an enemy. And if you focus fire or something in an 8v8 fight then it should take like 5 actions per character on average to kill one enemy.

Preperatory buffs, terrain and battlefield control magic, trading debuffs and control spells and countering spells during and after they are cast. Like disrupting a storm spell before it finishes.

Hmm. The difficulty there is making a game where the enemies are tactically proficient enough to require such things from the player, instead of just giving everyone enough health that attack magic only does 5% of someone's health.

I always felt Front Mission 3 hit a great balance. You could never knock an enemy out with one hit (most of the time), but it was possible to disable an enemy if all your units focused on that one. It lacks area denial or battlefield control, though.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: August 20, 2022, 08:41:50 pm »

Hmm. The difficulty there is making a game where the enemies are tactically proficient enough to require such things from the player, instead of just giving everyone enough health that attack magic only does 5% of someone's health.

I always felt Front Mission 3 hit a great balance. You could never knock an enemy out with one hit (most of the time), but it was possible to disable an enemy if all your units focused on that one. It lacks area denial or battlefield control, though.

Making a smart enemy AI would be complex of course, but no more so than the requirements for existing games. Field Of Glory has, somewhat, long lasting conflicts between individual units and even in cases where groups attack one unit. The AI is good but not great. Still the single player procedural campaigns are enjoyable.

In order to do affliction and dot damage you actually do need the units on both sides to have strong HP, but it helps if you reconceptualize HP the way it was originally intended to work which is that HP is not "health" where you get a neck stab 10 times and live cause you are level 10000 but that it represents an amorphous state of stamina or vitality where you are dodging, parrying, being beaten down slowly ala rope-a-dope, and so forth. High HP characters had lots of training, discipline, focus, cardiovascular and such training.

With magic maybe you can flavor it that your natural mana in both conscious and subconscious ways is ablating over time and becoming less effective at protecting you from external magical intrusions and so forth.

The real problem with HP was when it was added to FPS games and created bullet sponges. The concept as designed was never intended to apply to high powered modern military weapons.

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: August 21, 2022, 11:30:24 am »

Bit hard to describe, but a strategy/simulation game, where 2 or more (modern?/futuristic?) forces fight a conventional war BUT you play as a recon/(counter)intelligence division for one of the sides. You do espionage, make enemy officers "disappear", gather intel and deliver it to the main forces, so they'll know where and when to strike. To spice it up, there are traitors and incompetent officers on your side, and you have to root them out, or alternatively, feed traitors false intel to disorganize the enemy. Would be also cool if it had multiplayer, as it would be a perfect game for mind-games with the other player.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #8618 on: November 29, 2022, 12:17:32 pm »

A DF clone, but it's about elves and it's called Elf Forrest.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: November 29, 2022, 12:27:19 pm »

A DF clone, but it's about elves and it's called Elf Forrest.

There's The Forest. I mean, it's not elves, but it has trees and cannibals.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: November 29, 2022, 12:35:04 pm »

You could also mod DF to make Elves a playable race and just play them in a forest.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8621 on: January 01, 2023, 11:20:32 pm »

I've been watching videos about the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy by Liu Cixin, novels with very terrifying sci fi concepts. Spoilers for the second book ahead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What I'd like to see a game of is not the overall concept, but a literal presentation of the metaphor itself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8622 on: January 02, 2023, 01:56:55 am »

There is a dark forest game.  It's called dark forest.  I've never played it, it's a browser-based 4x MMO with a blockchain thing, all the moves are validated via blockchain so there's no way to see what the other players are doing aside from directly encountering their actions.  This seems excessive since other games have fog of war without crypto but whatever.  It's a proof of concept thing.

I'm just gonna drop the obvious Covert Action remake.  Really no game like it out there, though Shadows of Doubt seems to be gearing up to provide a spiritually similar experience.  Any video game that makes you put together a crazy board is automatically a jam.  Thankfully Shadows of Doubt will have it integrated.
Shoes...

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: January 02, 2023, 02:07:02 am »

Well yeah, it's blockchain. "Solving problems that have already been solved via easier methods" is what it does best.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: January 26, 2023, 09:29:18 pm »

I'm just gonna drop the obvious Covert Action remake.  Really no game like it out there, though Shadows of Doubt seems to be gearing up to provide a spiritually similar experience.  Any video game that makes you put together a crazy board is automatically a jam.  Thankfully Shadows of Doubt will have it integrated.
The “crazy board” is suboptimal. I used an improvised spreadsheet. =)
Anyway, roughly cut across mini-games, there are 2 parts: stealth and investigation. They are put together because lol James Bond does everything himself, but they don’t really belong together. They’d make more sense as either playing an operative who runs missions with set objectives or his commander.
If we are talking free remakes? The stealth part could probably be made in OpenDarkEngine (like Thief series… except mostly with dull architecture).
The investigation part could be made in any non-trivial “script-and-GUI” engine. Not sure about capabilities of ScummVM, but certainly in RenPy (Visual Novel engine), because yet another lump of Python can always be glued to it in a pinch.
To be less of a dry puzzle, it could double as “agent manager” — much like those “sport manager” games, or even Magical Boutique (your component gathering employees have stats that can level up, equipment can adjust those stats, areas where they can be sent have their own parameters, and demand for your products fluctuates wildly). And, of course, Covert Action had minimum of irrelevant activity, but if your world model runs on a modern-ish computer and uses a nice stable backend (maybe even a MySQL database), all other named groups could likewise run operations against you and each other (as the saying goes — there’s plenty more red herring in the sea). Huh. Actually, a “Spymaster” game made like this could be fun (likely approaching ‼FUN‼, in that the opponents should be more aggressive on high difficulty).
Just for some viable baseline: Stars Without Number has a splatbook Darkness Visible, which as usual includes a strategy mini-game for dynamic background generation. In this case, the entities are intelligence agencies and secret societies; they have attributes (Connections, Infiltration, Mobility, Muscle, Resources, Security and Tech), Assets (that have levels and increase their attribute by value depending on the level) and current Goals.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577