Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Veok's Standardized Leather Mod  (Read 11997 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Veok's Standardized Leather Mod
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:37:33 pm »

Ever been bothered by perfectly dwarfy artifacts utterly ruined because the dwarf grabbed Blue Peahen leather instead of Giant Tiger leather? Tired of your dwarves being garbed in a mishmash of stingray and squirrel leather items?

Presenting: Veok's Standardized Leather Mod! available at Dwarf Fortress File Depot (manual install)

There is also a version of vanilla DF with this mod pre-installed, also available at Dwarf Fortress File Depot

This mod will reduce the many different types of leather in the game.

All creatures without a [MULTIPLY_VALUE:X] will give "Animal Leather" when butchered.

All creatures with [MULTIPLY_VALUE:2] will give "Rare Leather" when butchered.

All creatures with [MULITPLY_VALUE:3] will give "Exotic Leather" when butchered.

Creatures with [Multiply_VALUE:4] (or higher) will keep their individual leather types, as will procedurally generated creatures (Forgotten Beasts, Nightcreatures, Demons, and their ilk).

The purpose of this mod is to reduce the leather products from each of Dwarf Fortress' 322 creatures to a smaller variety. This means, for instance, you will no longer have to be bothered with dozens upon dozens of leathers when muddling about the equipment screen.

New in 1.01
 - Leather Bags are now "bags" instead of coffers.
 - Got rid of the majority of leather types from preferences and the equipment screen.

Known Issues:
- Skin from sentient races is homogenized. Surely, we should make an exception for Elf Leather items, no?

Installation Instructions:
- Extract files to Dwarf Fortress / RAW / Objects.
- The three .txt files should just live in your RAW folder (b_detail_plan_veok, inorganic_leather_veok, tissue_template_veok)
- Double click and run the "LeatherReplacer.exe" application. Feel free to delete this afterwards. (This will go through your RAWs and update the body definition of each creature to point to the new materials, as outlined above)
- Enjoy!

Compatibility:
- Compatible with Genesis mod.
- The LeatherReplacer.exe is usable with any other creature-adding mods, as long as their added raw files contain "creature" in their name.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:39:00 pm by veok »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Veok's Standardized Leather Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 05:16:47 pm »

Note to self: When releasing a mod, be sure to actually *link* to the mod in question.

OP updated to point to the DFFD url, as expected.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 06:06:20 pm »

Now this sounds pretty cool... how does it turn out when you make armor and stuff from it? Just be called like... "Animal Leather Breastplate, "Rare Leather Breastplate, or "Exotic Leather Breastplate"?

I personally haven't had the giant issues with mandates yet - I end up restarting before then as I tweak things - but I can see this could come in handy... and it would help me with my "EVERYTHING MUST BE UNIFOOOOORM" if I try to make leather stuff...

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 06:28:43 pm »

Now this sounds pretty cool... how does it turn out when you make armor and stuff from it? Just be called like... "Animal Leather Breastplate, "Rare Leather Breastplate, or "Exotic Leather Breastplate"?

I personally haven't had the giant issues with mandates yet - I end up restarting before then as I tweak things - but I can see this could come in handy... and it would help me with my "EVERYTHING MUST BE UNIFOOOOORM" if I try to make leather stuff...

'Make Leather Armor' produces an 'Armor' item, rather than something more specific like you have with metal armors. Otherwise, you are correct. You should get "Animal Leather Armor" or "Rare Leather Armor", etc.

I'm going to go and upload a pre-installed DF Vanilla version onto DFFD soon; I'm sure some folks will prefer it to having to engage the Ruby script manually.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 06:35:39 pm »

I'm unsure if I'd get around to releasing it officially, but if I did, would it be acceptable if I included your mod with it? I'm considering using it myself to try it out.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 12:15:11 am »

Okay! Pre-installed version is up as well!

I'm unsure if I'd get around to releasing it officially, but if I did, would it be acceptable if I included your mod with it? I'm considering using it myself to try it out.

Assuming your sentence was meant to start with: "I'm developing a mod but,"

The answer is yes, as long as you give me credit!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 01:41:33 am »

Okay! Pre-installed version is up as well!

Assuming your sentence was meant to start with: "I'm developing a mod but,"

The answer is yes, as long as you give me credit!

Well, if you go with PROPER sentence structure... :P
But yes of course! I'm too unskilled in Coding to do things like this. I'm only Dabbling Coder.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 03:38:25 am »

Absolutely beautiful. Now if only you could do the same thing for fat and tallow...

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 12:56:30 pm »

I was on vacation in Thailand the past few days, and the tour brought us to several stores along the way from Bangkok to various attractions. One of the shops was a leather store, and I was surprised to see fish and stingray leather in there.

But anyway, great idea, this mod. I'll be sure to try it.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:01:06 pm »

Absolutely beautiful. Now if only you could do the same thing for fat and tallow...

Unfortunately, the way I handled this mod means that despite regular leather types being (mostly) unobtainable, they still *exist*, and so show up in equipment material and stockpile screens.

Before I expand the mod, I need to experiment and see if I can't find a better implementation for this.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 07:38:32 am »

If you just want to get rid of the tallow entries in the stockpiles and are willing to do the editing yourself, you can use the procedure in this post as the template. I don't think it works easily for fat, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 10:10:19 am »

If you just want to get rid of the tallow entries in the stockpiles and are willing to do the editing yourself, you can use the procedure in this post as the template. I don't think it works easily for fat, though.

Hm. That looks like it might be superior to my implementation. Investigating!

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 11:51:49 am »

Ah, the myriad wonders that this board holds! Thanks for unearthing that post for us; it looks very useful.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 11:47:03 pm »

Looks like I'll be able to combine the method from Knight Otu's link with how I'm currently seperating existing modifications.

Fingers crossed, that should eliminate the "preferences for leather that doesn't exist" stuff, while keeping the rarest leathers still on the beasts.

So consider mod version 1.01 fully in development!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 04:13:25 am »

How do the different leathers work as armor? All are the same?

I should do a "thin leather" which makes lousy armor but okay bags and clothes. Eg, cat, bat, dog, elf...
My plan is to have four armor-strengths of leather: cat & human class, pig cow & giraffe class, elephant & troll class, ultra mythical class (iron?).
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: [1] 2 3