Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Veok's Standardized Leather Mod  (Read 12002 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Veok's Standardized Leather Mod
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 10:21:07 pm »

How do the different leathers work as armor? All are the same?

I should do a "thin leather" which makes lousy armor but okay bags and clothes. Eg, cat, bat, dog, elf...
My plan is to have four armor-strengths of leather: cat & human class, pig cow & giraffe class, elephant & troll class, ultra mythical class (iron?).

In vanilla DF, all leather is equal*. Only the value differs. My mod doesn't change that.

*I am 97% sure.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Veok's Standardized Leather Mod (Version 1.01)
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 04:36:45 pm »

Mod updated to 1.01.

Credits to Knight Otu for their help in developing this new release.

Pre-Installed version is currently uploading, manual install has already finished.

New in 1.01
 - Leather Bags are now "bags" instead of coffers.
 - Got rid of the majority of leather types from preferences and the equipment screen.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 06:55:28 pm »

Can this be done with bones as well? Hair? Ivory?
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 08:49:03 pm »

Hey Veok,
  Just de-exotic'd all the animals in your raws, so I took some time to look at what you did. Being as you are the coder for this particular mod, were there any particularly surprising pitfalls or errors that you had when putting together the (commonality)_ANIMAL_MATERIALS templates? It looks like it will be trivial to make all the different commonality templates for thee different animal materials, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 06:05:19 pm »

Just downloaded it and will try it out. Since it is compatible with other mods I would very much like to add it to a mod I am making, to improve user-friendliness.

The idea behind it is awesome :) Would like to this for a lot of things in the game, more user-friendliness without removing content.

It would be great to see something like this for other items as well, fat, bone...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 08:19:48 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 07:10:44 pm »

This is beautiful and I love you.
 8)

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 08:59:14 pm »

It would be great to see something like this for other items as well, fat, bone...

As I mentioned before, I worked more on this to try to remove different bone, fat and tallow. I can't get bone or fat to not list its source animal, but products made from them are named without. Bone bolts for bone crossbows!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 09:17:06 pm »

As I mentioned before, I worked more on this to try to remove different bone, fat and tallow. I can't get bone or fat to not list its source animal, but products made from them are named without. Bone bolts for bone crossbows!
Are you sure about that? I have a system not unlike yours for titans and it manage to condense all of the entries. See:
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 10:40:45 pm »

Are you sure about that? I have a system not unlike yours for titans and it manage to condense all of the entries. See:  ...
Well, I'm sure that -I- didn't manage to do it! I've actually been keeping an eye on your mod for just this reason; learning some methods I haven't thought of. I mostly want to clear the hundreds of fat entries out of my stocks screen!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 11:39:19 am »

Just wanted to report that I tested this and it works well, but I have gaint bat, gaint olm, gaint toad, elephant and rhinoceros leather left... dont know if this is because of my modding or bug.

Anyway, great work :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 07:15:16 pm »

Yes, Veok only changed animals with a value multiplier of x1, x2, and x3. Rhinos, elephants, and lions are x5 and thus untouched. I think he missed the giant creatures you mentioned because they are giant vermin, and don't usually have leather.

The real bug with this system is that with less leather types to choose between, the more rare stuff shows up as often as the cheap stuff. I think DF doesn't weight the randomizer, so you see bins of giant olm leather as often as generic animal leather.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 09:18:42 pm »

Ahhh... thanks for the info. I already fixed it by assigning rare leather to all the mentioned animals by hand, but good to know the reason behind it. That also fixes the problem you mentioned with the rarer leather types showing up too often: There are no more leather types left now :)

Ashnal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 08:15:18 pm »

Hey Veok, I was curious about this mod so I looked to see how it worked.

After taking a look I found that in general, the only file you need for this change is the creature file. The materials and tissues you created are quite unnecessary copies of things that already exist. You can just have the creature material created, then edit the existing

Second, if you want to completely remove the name prefix from leather, you can by defining a static inorganic material.

For my tests, I used the four genesis leather types. I copied each leather types template info into an inorganic material definition, then changed the corresponding skin templates tanning reaction line to point to the inorganic material.

Ex:

[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TOUGHSKIN_TEMPLATE]
     [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:INORGANIC:TOUGHLEATHER]

However I also found that this ends up with the specific creature leather value information being discarded as the creature material is never referenced.

Also, I don't think your mod is compatible with the genesis leather types. Since your replacer replaces each creatures skin with your custom skin types, genesis creatures lose their tougher skin.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 03:50:37 pm »

I just wanted to note, that your (veoks) system is superior to the proposed other ones, and mine is included in that. I remade most things to be standardized, and behold: since they are inorganic mats, nothing is stockpiled.

I already made a fake plant for all wood types, and will continue using your system with fake animals for the animal mats.

Balin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 09:17:05 pm »

Veok,

Thanks for the mod, it really helps with the clutter of 30 different kinds of leather mittens.
Is it possible to mod wool and bone as well?
Pages: 1 [2] 3