Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Refuse(Not Garbage) Disposal  (Read 2090 times)

Jibekn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Refuse(Not Garbage) Disposal
« on: August 04, 2011, 12:35:49 pm »

Im relitivly new to DF, ive gotten up most of the learning cliffs, still have military to completely wrap my head around, but anyways.

Im not even sure this is possible, but I would like to be able to design a refuse disposal solution, preferably involving magma, because well. I like Magma. But the real requirments, is not using the Garbage (d, b, d) designations as I use that for stone storage, it would hopfully be small and destroy the refuse as its deposited like a Garbage Zone chute system.

Can we designate storage areas over a grate? Maybe a magma fall onto a grate with a refuse pile designed onto it? Or would that just lead to !!Dwaves!! ?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Refuse(Not Garbage) Disposal
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:43:24 pm »

I don't think you can designate stockpiles over anything but solid ground, and the dwarves have to stand on the square to deposit refuse there. You can designate a room for refuse and periodically clean it out with magma.

I usually just designate a single z-level, a few below my fortress, as being for mining and refuse. Dig out, take stone, place refuse. It works well, and it's very easy - easier than magma disposal.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:46:24 pm »

Indeed,t he easiest way is to use a 'quantum stockpile' (which arguably is an exploit but so long as you don't plan to take anything out ever its hardly the end of the world).  To do so with magma you'd either want to set up a room you can flood with magma (you can set it upt o flood with water too and make an obsidian farm, two birds.. Or you can just dig a deeeeeeep hole to the magma and throw stuff in (Though you risk creatures coming back up to thank you for the trash). 

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:54:10 pm »

If you're using d->b->d to deal with stone clutter, it's relatively easy to set up and delete a 1x1 zone for the garbage to accumulate in, one zone for salvageable 'garbage' and one for incineration.  It'd just take a fair amount of micromanaging to make sure your dorfs aren't throwing things into the lava that you'd rather salvage. 

As Lectorog mentioned, though, it's possible to set a fill/drain mechanism into a room designated as a refuse pile.  I'm not sure if you'll need to redesignate the room as a refuse pile once it's been flooded with magma -- I'd have to try it out myself to see.

Jibekn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 01:18:43 pm »

If you're using d->b->d to deal with stone clutter, it's relatively easy to set up and delete a 1x1 zone for the garbage to accumulate in, one zone for salvageable 'garbage' and one for incineration.  It'd just take a fair amount of micromanaging to make sure your dorfs aren't throwing things into the lava that you'd rather salvage. 

Can you elaborate on this? Can we desitnate what garbage is taken to which zone? what is the micro involved?

Can we set garbage zone A to only take stone, for example, zone B only takes weapons, zone C only takes decomposables etc just like a storeage yard? Or is this done in a different manner?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 01:27:15 pm »

Can you elaborate on this? Can we desitnate what garbage is taken to which zone? what is the micro involved?

Can we set garbage zone A to only take stone, for example, zone B only takes weapons, zone C only takes decomposables etc just like a storeage yard? Or is this done in a different manner?

Nope. For dumping, garbage is garbage.

Stockpiles can be configured like this.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 01:29:17 pm »

Refuse can be left on the surface where it will "rot" away after a few months.
Skeletons however take much longer to rot. I just set my roads as refuse stockpiles that only accepts corpses, seems fitting.

If you really want to get rid of stuff fast you'll have to make a garbage zone. The good things about garbage zones are that you can place them over pits leading to magma.
The problem about garbage zones are that they're not automatic and you'll have to set items to dump yourself which can be a bit annoying.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 02:07:10 pm »

Could you use the same logic as the mass-pitting system?  Refuse stockpile on one z-level, next to multiple channelled holes leading down your 'refuse chute' (potentially into magma).  Wait until the refuse stockpile fills up, then set Garbage Dump zones over each of those channelled chutes, d->b->d everything in the refuse stockpile and wait for your dwarves to descend, grab a refuse item and chuck it down the chute.  Remove the garbage zones and repeat as necessary.

This only works, of course, if dwarves will (upon d->b->d) dump the marked item in the nearest garbage zone.  Otherwise you might end up with refuse in your stone quantum stockpile, and usable stone down your garbage chutes!
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Jibekn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 02:38:28 pm »

This only works, of course, if dwarves will (upon d->b->d) dump the marked item in the nearest garbage zone.  Otherwise you might end up with refuse in your stone quantum stockpile, and usable stone down your garbage chutes!

This requires !!SCIENCE!!, I will post back with results, hopfully tommorow. If it is always closest, then the only micro required will be a periodic d->b->d-> over the refuse pile, using d->o will insure that stone, etc never makes it into the burner, as the stone will always have a 'closer' route then the burner chute.

Thanks everyone for thier responses, great community here :)

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 03:54:32 pm »

i've got a refuse disposal going that's set up on a single tile retractable bridge over a small amount of magma. there's a pressure plate set right in front of it that goes off at a dwarf's weight, and set to be triggered by citizens. they walk to dump the item on the bridge, triggering the plate, drop the item, turn around, hit the plate again, and thanks to the delay, it opens after they're off the bridge, dumping the corpses or whatever into the magma. only problem i've found with this is miasma will cause the dwarves to linger and get dropped into the magma, themselves...lost two that way. there wasn't room on the surface to make an actual flat refuse stockpile, so everything's inside, near the entrance. hence occasional miasma, if they're slow about removing things

it's quite handy after a seige, getting rid of all the butchered parts that your guys can't eat (i allow them to butcher sentients) or a fire gets out of control, though i usually just sell that stuff to the next caravan, anyway

if you have this and a stone quantum stockpile, you'll have a minor bit of micromanaging to do, i over each pile and a to activate/deactivate as you don't want them potentially dropping stones in the magma (ok...maybe you do...) or refuse in the stone pile

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 04:10:22 pm »

In the past you could create stockpiles on constructed floors, then remove the "constructed" part. The stockpile would stick around, but I don't recall if it actually had dwarves try to keep things on it. I definitely don't know if the current versions allow for any of this.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 05:03:26 pm »

only problem i've found with this is miasma will cause the dwarves to linger and get dropped into the magma, themselves...
I have an idea.

Code: [Select]
___^ _
####~#
####7#

~ is the retracting bridge attached to the pressure plate.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.