Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cribs for infants  (Read 1114 times)

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cribs for infants
« on: August 05, 2011, 12:38:38 pm »

My female soldiers have been carrying their infants into combat with them, with predictable, disastrous results.

Can we get some sort of crib where infants can be kept safe until they're grown up enough walk on their own?

It should probably be a piece of furniture which is made from wood, like a bed. The cribs could be placed either in the parent's room or you could designate a nursery from the crib.

When a baby dwarf is born, the mother will seek to place it in a crib she owns or an unoccupied crib in the nursery. If a suitable crib is unavailable, she would carry it around as normal.

The infant could periodically generate a "Needs Milk" job. Either the mother could come and breast feed it or another dwarf could bring it some milk from the food stockpile. Similar to how imprisoned dwarves are currently fed.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Cribs for infants
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 03:05:25 pm »

DWARVEN BABYS NEVER DRINK MILK THEY DRINK BOOZE!!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:07:11 pm »

I do think this is a great idea, and I fully support it.
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

Overman

• Bay Watcher
  • ┼ ROSS BAY CULT ┼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 04:31:15 pm »

My female soldiers have been carrying their infants into combat with them, with predictable, disastrous results.

Number one reason women should not be in the military: who takes care of the baby? Are you really implying that you wish to disrupt the fragile fabric of the family institution? Would you really destroy the most important years of infancy and childhood by removing a mother from the kid?

Alright, maybe not number one reason, but it still counts.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 06:22:11 pm »

Number one reason women should not be in the military: who takes care of the baby? Are you really implying that you wish to disrupt the fragile fabric of the family institution? Would you really destroy the most important years of infancy and childhood by removing a mother from the kid?

Alright, maybe not number one reason, but it still counts.

Are you... being sarcastic?  Because what you just said is based entirely on the assumption that all women have babies they need to take care of, which is factually untrue.  Not to mention the father can take care of the baby.

Besides, what you just said has nothing to do with the topic, or DF.   Dwarves have no family institution, they have no problems with females in the military, and they only nominally take care of their children.  You've said that separating the mother and child might not be the number one reason, when (if you were talking about DF, and not your personal politics) it would, by definition, have to be because in DF women's ability to give birth is the only difference between genders.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 07:22:03 pm »

Well not all societies have a strong family institution. I can't name any in real life of the top of my head, but the most striking example in literature is that of the Redwall series, where all the young are raised communally and not by their parents.

The term for this sort of arrangement is quasisociality, where every member of the society is a reproductive one, but individuals care cooperatively for the entire brood.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 03:20:20 pm »

DWARVEN BABYS NEVER DRINK MILK THEY DRINK BOOZE!!
Dwarven breastmilk IS booze.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 11:05:32 pm »

So you could Farm Pregnant Dwarves for booze?

I wonder how many Dwarfbucks that would be worth?
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 07:09:30 pm »

Where does Dwarven Cheese come from then?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 07:20:41 pm »

Seems useful. On the other hand, mothers going insane in combat and murdering everyone is rather amusing.

Where does Dwarven Cheese come from then?
Purring maggots.
...What, you expected something normal?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!