Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: More stone items  (Read 3472 times)

Overman

• Bay Watcher
  • ┼ ROSS BAY CULT ┼
    • View Profile
More stone items
« on: August 06, 2011, 04:00:05 pm »

Basically anything that you can create from wood in a carpenter's shop should be possible to create with stone at a masonry. Personally, I want some damn stone chairs, but this applies to all the others: chests, bins, etc.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 04:02:21 pm by Overman »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: More stone items
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 04:04:27 pm »

You already can build stone chairs, they're called thrones.
And rock pots can substitute for barrels. And you can use metal to create bins if you don't want to waste wood.

The only thing you need wood for is beds.
*Hugs*

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 04:05:40 pm »

Yeah basically the only one that's wood but not stone is beds and bins... don't be fooled by name differences. Chair = Throne. Coffer = Chest. Coffin = Sarcophagus etc.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Overman

• Bay Watcher
  • ┼ ROSS BAY CULT ┼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 04:21:00 pm »

Come now. Thrones are not chairs or kings are peasants. Jokes aside, there should be stone chairs. Let's also have wooden thrones. There should be a physical, descriptive, difference between the items, even a value difference perhaps. I should be able to make a stone coffin(a box) aside from the sarcophagus(elaborate box). I didn't catch the coffer/chest though. That part is already remedied.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 05:04:46 pm »

Oh come on now they're dwarves, do you honestly expect them not to go all out on their creations?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Overman

• Bay Watcher
  • ┼ ROSS BAY CULT ┼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 05:08:48 pm »

Oh come on now they're dwarves, do you honestly expect them not to go all out on their creations?

Don't try to derail my topic. A dwarf is going to make the best of anything. Whether it be a coffin or a sarcophagus, dwarves are going to make the best of each.

Now answer me this, why would a dwarf not make a similar item out of any material?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 05:54:59 pm »

I was not derailing, merely saying.
And by definition they already make similar items. The only thing different is the name, and that's only on a very small amount of items, other then the name they're both identical. The only thing stone can't be crafted into is rock beds.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 07:35:11 pm »

If anything, there are too many things that can be made out of stone. Wood, ceramics, metal, and even glass would be more appropriate materials to make many items. As is, there really isn't much reason to use wooden chairs or doors over stone ones-wood is harder to come by and is consumed in the making of numerous products. Non-stone products should be easier to make, and stone crafts should take longer to make then wooden ones. (but probably be more valuable)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 08:17:04 pm »

OP was a troll and is banned now BTW.
Just informing anyone who expects a response.
*Hugs*

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 09:56:35 pm »

If anything, there are too many things that can be made out of stone. Wood, ceramics, metal, and even glass would be more appropriate materials to make many items. As is, there really isn't much reason to use wooden chairs or doors over stone ones-wood is harder to come by and is consumed in the making of numerous products. Non-stone products should be easier to make, and stone crafts should take longer to make then wooden ones. (but probably be more valuable)

I agree with this, and I believe a new topic should should be made about it. As far as I see it, since wood is indeed harder to get and in less quantities, there should be more essential items that require it.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 01:57:57 am »

I think the stone/wood requirement ratio is just about right. I used to try to manage my forests, but I've found that clearcutting is the only way to create a fort that can grow with its population. Less wood use would make it a superfluous material; more would increase the difficulty too much. Remember, it's not just beds that need wood, it's also ballista ammo, fuel (not everyone has access to geothermal right away), ash, and mechanical power.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 03:04:54 am »

The realistic thing, I think, would be to make producing wood easier and (craftable) stone harder than it is now. One tree should yield more than a single plank, whereas one tile of rock should only yield any *usable* stone if quarried rather than mined, with commensurate higher labor input. Plus, working stone into crafts and furniture should be far more time-consuming than wood (though maybe not so much so as to be realistic - these are dwarfs after all).
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 07:58:59 am »

Come now. Thrones are not chairs or kings are peasants. Jokes aside, there should be stone chairs. Let's also have wooden thrones. There should be a physical, descriptive, difference between the items, even a value difference perhaps. I should be able to make a stone coffin(a box) aside from the sarcophagus(elaborate box). I didn't catch the coffer/chest though. That part is already remedied.
Trhones shloud have nice descriptions.

Livingstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 08:29:44 am »

"In the game of thrones, you win or you die."

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 04:01:19 pm »

I never really understood why there shouldn't be stone bins.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: [1] 2 3