Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Speed up release of new version!  (Read 2806 times)

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
Re: Speed up release of new version!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 08:17:31 pm »

Yes.
All i wanted to say is that for the game to be fine tuned, you would need to wait a very long time.

"the Alpha stage of any software, is a time for adding new features, you might do a little bugfixing, to get the game/feature to a playable state but you don't do any more than that."

I'm perfectly prepared to wait for a long time for the game to be fine tuned, I don't mean toady should stop releasing builds, just that he shouldn't focus on bugfixing and optimization as opposed to new features. He should only bugfix to get the game to a playable state.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:21:43 pm by optimumtact »
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 09:04:17 pm »

The only way of getting faster major releases would be if there was a entire team of programmers behind it, but as it stands it's just one guy so all we can do is wait.

If DF went open source then it would be a whole different story though, we would have multithreading and a shit ton of new features in under 2 months, also bug fixes would be lightning quick, just saying....

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 09:13:48 pm »

If DF went open source then it would be a whole different story though, we would have multithreading and a shit ton of new features in under 2 months, also bug fixes would be lightning quick, just saying....

And we have to choose between dozens of different builds that aren't even compatible with each other.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 09:27:38 pm »

And we have to choose between dozens of different builds that aren't even compatible with each other.

yeah well, a small price to pay for all the development goodness that would ensue, also every single distribution would sure have at the very least dozens of devs behind them, which of course is still more effective than just one guy.

I am pretty sure it will never happen though, not in the near future anyway.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 10:25:49 pm »

yeah well, a small price to pay for all the development goodness that would ensue, also every single distribution would sure have at the very least dozens of devs behind them, which of course is still more effective than just one guy.

You seem to vastly overestimate the number of people who would be willing to donate time and effort to DF, programming such a complex game is no easy task, Toady has had years of experience with his codebase and is best positioned to work on it, Open sourcing might bring long term benefits, but the delays and issues from the early days could fragment or kill the community all together.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 11:00:25 pm »

And The Glorious Toad Like One starves to death in two months and is promptly eaten by Scamps and his ever growing harem.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 11:24:23 pm »

I'm in the 'don't rush the man' camp.

If you're sick and tired of waiting for the new release, start a new fortress, and give yourself some ridiculous goal. Like, I dunno, build a reverse Empire State Building underground.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 12:37:22 am »

You seem to vastly overestimate the number of people who would be willing to donate time and effort to DF, programming such a complex game is no easy task, Toady has had years of experience with his codebase and is best positioned to work on it, Open sourcing might bring long term benefits, but the delays and issues from the early days could fragment or kill the community all together.

Idk, I think the in these forums alone there might be a couple hundred folks who would happily take a shot at it, but yeah it would take a hefty while before things were stable enough.

Anyway I was just speaking my mind, this is very unlikely to happen, if toady had any intention of making it open source it would have happened already.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 11:01:47 am »

I won't pretend I am not looking forward to the release somewhat impatiently too, but it is what it is.  As for the releases i this release, a lot of them seem to pertain to adventure mode (a mode I don't personally care for) so its not quite as exciting as I expect future releases that are more fortress centric.

I do think, from my perspective, that smaller releases more frequently would be more logical, it would allow for more testing by players to catch more major bugs and get them fixed quicker.  If you had ten smaller releases with lets say two or three notable bugs each it would be I'd think easier to handle then one massive release with twenty or thirty notable bugs.  But its not my game, and its a damn fine game, so I'll leave it at that.

With regard to Alpha.. I'm not certain that the alpha/beta/etc thing really applies to the indy set like Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft and the like.  I mean obviously it does to a point but at some point saying "Its alpha" to every complaint becomes hollow.  I think a more accurate statement is "its free".  Toady does all this work for nothing (well ok he gets donations but those are optional) so if people don't like it they are free to not play anymore.  But saying "its alpha" is meaningless. 
Pages: 1 [2]