Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: More stone items  (Read 3493 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: More stone items
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 01:23:34 pm »

I never really understood why there shouldn't be stone bins.
Neither me.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 07:04:33 pm »

Stone bins... well stone is heavy and a container should be light... and... and that is the reason we can make bins out of lead.

In other news... why can't they make stone maces and axes?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 08:04:12 pm »

In other news... why can't they make stone maces and axes?

That is a very good point! Because those are definitely real technologies, they've been indepently developed by dozens of cultures, and they're certainly not too modern (nor, I should add, are they too primitive either, given that the kobolds aren't supposed to use metal)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 06:22:11 am »

Great suggestions you guys. Especially the one about larger yield from chopping a tree. I can't imagine DF being complete without something like that. Now it makes me think about a larger yield for stone too. I was thinking making the total yield determined by mining and woodcutting skill(makes a useless skill useful finally!), of course, but the yield should be random between a certain range of usable stone or wood that is mined or chopped out. Though, rally there may be enough stone as it is!

On the topic of a more diverse range of craftable materials, it completely surprises me that there are no wooden instruments to be made! Is this something of Dwarven lore, as in Dwarves simply never utilized the sounds of woodwinds and such to incorporate into their music? Oh, now if music was implemented already! That deserves another topic which I may get to. Nothing special, if only I'm being modest.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76466.msg1942490#msg1942490

Let's expand on this of course. At least bring some fundamental things of a proper Dwarven culture up continually to get Toady's attention to his unfinished business. Still waiting for Beta DF! *Smiley*
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 06:28:22 am by Agorp Stronden »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 11:00:59 am »

it would be nice if our woodcutters use woodcutting axes instead of using battleaxes,this woodcutting axes could be made only of copper or stone.

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 01:10:37 pm »

I agree that they shouldn't use a fine battle axe for chopping wood. Instead, there should be another weapon, the hatchet. A weaker axe for laborious deeds. It should be made from any weapon material though.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 01:21:30 pm »

it would be nice if our woodcutters use woodcutting axes instead of using battleaxes,this woodcutting axes could be made only of copper or stone.

I disagree with that last part. There's no reason why woodcutting axes should be limited to copper or stone.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 01:59:58 pm »

yeah,the hatchet I was searching my mind for that.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 02:01:47 pm »

I disagree with that last part. There's no reason why woodcutting axes should be limited to copper or stone.
I think that they should be limited to weaker metals,so they do not be to powerful,or just be like training weapons :large contact area,blunt damage and lightweight.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 03:46:04 pm »

I think that they should be limited to weaker metals,so they do not be to powerful,or just be like training weapons :large contact area,blunt damage and lightweight.

But that's arbitrary and just as unrealistic as not being able to make weapons out of stone. When was the last time you saw an axe, of any kind, that was made out of anything other than steel?

As for weapon power, the hatchet should just be made less powerful by giving it different stats.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:49:40 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 03:48:36 pm »

But that's arbitrary and just as unrealistic as not being able to make weapons out of stone. When was the last time you saw an axe, of any kind, that was made out of anything other than steel?

Oh, and by the way, before I get accused of being anachronistic, I'm not suggesting that all axes in-game should be made out of steel; I'm just saying that if a culture has steel and uses wood then eventually somebody is going to make hatchets out of steel.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 09:32:18 pm »

Quote from: EmperorJon
Coffer = Chest

You mean I've been making wooden chests for nothing? If coffer applies to noble demands, all my wood is getting burnt.

I always thought chairs were small and made out of wood for dainty elves, and thrones were made out of rock and were large and sturdy rock for violent dwarves. Dwarves don't sit in chairs so they don't make them out of stone, and elves don't deserve to sit in thrones and will never get one from a dwarf fortress. There should be accurate descriptions to back this up.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 07:01:48 am »

Quote from: EmperorJon
Coffer = Chest

You mean I've been making wooden chests for nothing? If coffer applies to noble demands, all my wood is getting burnt.

peskynija is stark raving mad!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 08:09:05 am »

The only thing stone can't be crafted into is rock beds.
have you never heard of bedrock..?

;)

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 05:34:31 pm »

I've had hatchets modded in for awhile, for my woodcutters.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3