Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Let's Play GalCiv 2 - Twilight of the Arnor! (Dead)

(1/95) > >>

Sirus:

What game is this?
This, my fellow Bay Watchers, is Galactic Civilizations II (henceforth known as GalCiv), with it's expansion Twilight of the Arnor, developed by Stardock. GalCiv is a 4X sci-fi game, noted for it's flexible custom ship design, ease of modability, and a huge number of random events that can make or break an empire. And I'm gonna be playing it!

I love sci-fi/4X/you! Tell me more!
This is gonna be an audience participation LP. You guys can join one of several councils to help shape the direction of the Terran Federation and lead us to victory. Updates will cover a single year, though important happenings will be posted right away. This will be a screenshot-heavy LP, so those with dial-up may have trouble.

Spoiler: Galaxy Setup (click to show/hide)The game will be run in the largest possible galaxy, with plenty of planets, stars, and anomalies. All victory options will be enabled, to give us options. The seven AI opponents will be on Normal difficulty, but the exact species we face will be randomized. You may have noticed that I turned off Super Abilities. I find them to be fairly unbalanced, so we'll do without.

Spoiler: Race (click to show/hide)We will be playing as the humans. We can keep the defaults for leader name and stuff, or you could vote to change them. We'll also need to choose a political party. This cannot be changed once the game starts, so choose wisely. Industrialist Party was chosen.

* Federalist Party (default). Provides a 20% bonus to the economy.
* The Industrialists. Adds 20% to both social and military production.
* Mercantile Party. Adds 20% to both trade income and espionage.
* The Pacifists. 10% bonus to social production and 20% bonus to influence.
* The Populists. 10% bonus to population growth and morale.
* The Technologists. 20% bonus to research, and +1 to sensor range.
* The Universalists. A bit of a grab bag. 5% economy bonus, 10% defense bonus, 10% population growth bonus, and a whopping 25% luck bonus.
* The War Party. 10% bonus to weapons and defense, and a +15 bonus to soldiering.

Sirus:
How can I participate?
You can join in the fun in two ways. The first is joining one of several committees, which will be described below. This requires a bit of commitment, but you have a much larger say in how the Federation expands. These committees will have to work together on many things, including planetary and special events.

The second way to join in is to simply post often. Anyone can suggest names for planets and ship designs, and feel free to voice your opinions; maybe one of the committees will take your words to heart!

The Council

Colonial Affairs: Decide roughly where to colonize and how to get the new planets off the ground.
Current Members: Mr. Person

Research and Development: Decide on the technological paths to take.
Current Members: shadenight123, IronyOwl

Starship Design Committee: Provide rough designs for ships.
Current Members: Sheb

Central Intelligence Agency: Who to spy on, and when.
Current Members: EuchreJack

War Council: Carries out any wars that we get ourselves into. Works in conjunction with the SDC to produce capable warships.
Current Members: NRDL, timferius

Diplomatic Corps: In charge of seeking relations with the alien races. Also manages treaties and trades.
Current Members: None. Sign up today!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update List
Year 1
Year 2
Year 3

Mr.Person:
You can't LP GalCiv 2, it's too complex. I applaud you for trying, though. I hope you have great success. I'll try to post often. Let's smash those stupid xenos to bits.

Put my vote for the Industrialists. Every planet winds up getting as good as it can be as fast as possible, which is nice, but mostly it's for the increased ship output. 20% ship production means that compared to our enemies, we'll have 1/5 times more ships AND we'll have built the stardocks faster, further increasing our ship output. That's not even getting into the faster factory production which also means we get extra production produced faster.

NRDL:
I have seen a let's play of this before, and it was funny.  The let's player used the civ leaders from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri as council leaders ( Dominic Santiago for the war party, Deidre Sky for the colonial affairs, etc ).  I vote for the war party.  I don't really know about the game ( other than the aforementioned LP ) and this might make it difficult for you, but if you really want this LP to be exciting, conquer every single species you find. 

Digital Hellhound:
My vote goes for Industrialists too, that bonus is always nice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version