Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Knifemurders really that horrific and terrifying?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 1 (11.1%)
I may never sleep again...
- 1 (11.1%)
OHGOD, THERE'S DEATH EVERYWHERE! WHAT DID YOU DOOOO?!
- 3 (33.3%)
Nah, Fun happened.
- 4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 12, 2011, 08:58:21 am

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Calling all dwarven engineering madmen/geniuses (Building a BIG water reactor)  (Read 17293 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all dwarven engineering madmen/geniuses
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 10:48:50 pm »

Some sort of over-under design's probably the best way to go.  I'm presently carving out a 4th layer underneath, in case a three-layer one cant be thought up/made significantly dwarfy in it's output.  It doesn't HAVE to be efficient, it's for fun.  Throw in an ugly design that requires constant fresh water flowing into it if you have one.  Hell, the savegame's saved looking at the mostly-empty cistern (I'll upload a fresh save once i get the bodies and wounded out of it.  Little mishap in the design of the room above for a potential "deadly blood" FB...)  Turns out grates won't support floors beside them over an empty chasm.  Who knew?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 11:25:02 pm »

*clap*

Yes, I can see your lack of regard for efficiency in the reactor you already have. OH SNAP!

(very pretty tho with all the colours)

Nop, don't have any other designs. If you're up for something that isn't so exploity and uses fresh water flow then that definately adds more, probably harder possibilities. You'd still need a very wide flow and a hell of a pumpstack arrangement since there's no natural flow where the cistern is. You've already been able to tap into the water source in the caverns (I had a hell of a time trying to figure out how you got water in there in the first place :P). Multiply that by a dozen and perhaps you could build something that draws water from the caverns, flows into your cistern powering a bunch of waterwheels before creating a massive waterfall back down to the caverns. Would probably kill your framerate and be horribly inefficient but hey, it would be cool!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 11:31:40 pm »

The pumpstack can pull magma OR water.  Go to F8 and check out the main reservoir and it's channel controls.  The base of the pumpstack is cut off from the rest so i can stop the magma intake.  the lever's one level above F3.

oh and the F4 reactor might not be pretty, but it'll pull 3400+ Urists on its own when fully fueled.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 11:47:56 pm »

Yeah I was wondering how you got all the water there when the only pumps capable of filling up were pumping magma before seeing that it pumped both. Very awesome.

Oh and I didn't see those other reactors which are more efficient, yeah. I was referring to the one 1 z-level below the surface that was too wide for its own good.  :P

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 11:52:43 pm »

Yeah, the z-1 reactor's became something of a secondary well while i was refilling the actual well. There's also a pair of reactors at F7, though one of them's unfilled at the time of the savegame.  Those'll generally get just enough to power the stack.  I'm just about to replace the savegame with one that has the cistern drained, and the injured pulled out of the cistern bottom.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 02:07:47 am »

edit - Oh happy day, a FB with noxious secretions has turned up (never thought I'd say THAT).  Even better, it's spawned right on the edge of the map between two trees. Anyone able to tell me how to web a cage trap?
First you need a spider.  You can see that mine died.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 02:12:29 am »

And then?  Put a cage somewhere in it's line of sight and hope it shoots webs onto it?

Oh, and what i plan to do for the "deadly blood" FB is to put it's crate in a room above the reactor - filled with spinning serrated discs and grates.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 03:11:40 am »

And then?  Put a cage somewhere in it's line of sight and hope it shoots webs onto it?

Oh, and what i plan to do for the "deadly blood" FB is to put it's crate in a room above the reactor - filled with spinning serrated discs and grates.

Look at the picture, my friend.

Use bait animals that the spider thinks it can path to (through tightly closed doors) but can't directly access (through fortifications).  It will spit web at them.  Some of this web will travel past the bait.  Build cage traps where you expect web to land.  Use raising bridges to control access.  Use bait animals and/or furniture to draw beasts through the cage traps.

Or-- just trap a GCS-- the rest will become clear as you play with it.

(Serrated discs won't hurt a FB unless its webbed, and will kill it an unfortunate amount of the time if it is.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 03:43:01 am »

Aaah, i see.  Got any viable alternatives for a trap that will make it bleed, but won't kill it?

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 04:21:15 am »

Use a different FB which has blood/secretions that cause bleeding, but not fatally so?  Hmm, it's like a dwarven chicken/egg thing...
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 04:28:30 am »

Aaah, i see.  Got any viable alternatives for a trap that will make it bleed, but won't kill it?

It's hard.  You have to do it slow.  Eventually, anything that will make it bleed will kill it, but you could drag that out a long ways.

Rather than trying to make it bleed real slow, you could try to make its blood go real far.  Dump it on lots of items, dump water on those items to carry its blood everywhere.  I'm not sure that non-dwarven creatures ever heal blood loss.  They probably do.

The only really good way I can think of to make it bleed well would be a low intensity bleeding syndrome.  Which is kind of ridiculous, because it's much easier to find a high intensity bleeding syndrome, and if you had one of those, you wouldn't need the blood to begin with!

What's it made out of?  If it's good material, no important organs, you might be able to get away with a retracting spike trap.  Otherwise, you need creatures to make it bleed...  I bet armed goblin thieves would do well, probably cause mild blood loss without risk to internal organs.

Preview: Ninjad!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 05:10:18 am »

It's a huge scaly nematode called Lari the Evil Dent

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 05:20:07 am »

That probably means internal organs, and a brain, and softish tissue.

If it can't fly, and you manage to cage it and want to harvest its blood, I'd build the cage in a 1x1, drop all sorts of trash on top of the cage (so you'll have lots of stuff covered in blood) and drop goblin thieves and more junk onto it, maybe up to 4 thieves a year, although fewer would work.  Dropping thieves is risky work, and I can't think of a perfectly safe way to do it without risking the thieves' lives.  If thieves don't draw blood, move on to goblin swordsmen.  I'd probably build the cage next to the spider trap farm so you can easily recatch the FB so you can clean out the good bloody junk and reposition it wherever you want, long before the FB dies.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 05:24:36 am »

The problem is; I don't get goblins around Knifemurders.  Worst i get is the occasional Elf siege (Not my fault, for once.  The civ's always hated mine).  There aren't any wild creatures in the caverns either, really.  Killed them all and claimed their territory for deforesting in Cavern 3.  Cavern 2's full of magma (now).  and Cavern 1's sealed off on account of spiders and lots of webs.  That one's on the to-do list.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 05:28:08 am »

Actually, if the room the FB is dropped into consists only of a 1x1, made of raised bridges, you can drop the thieves directly onto the FB. It'll cushion they're fall, and then they can get on with the stabbing.

Alternately, drop it into a room with walls made of fortifications, and use a few archers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6