Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Knifemurders really that horrific and terrifying?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 1 (11.1%)
I may never sleep again...
- 1 (11.1%)
OHGOD, THERE'S DEATH EVERYWHERE! WHAT DID YOU DOOOO?!
- 3 (33.3%)
Nah, Fun happened.
- 4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 12, 2011, 08:58:21 am

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Calling all dwarven engineering madmen/geniuses (Building a BIG water reactor)  (Read 17294 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all dwarven engineering madmen/geniuses
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 05:36:45 am »

I might just hook up a bunch of weapon traps to a lever, engage them to wound it, then shut them off.  It can wander around bleeding over the grates.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 06:16:54 am »

Quick question; If you push water onto a waterwheel from the same tile level, will it travel over it and potentially turn it?

eg;

W
W
W
%
%

where WWW is the wheel and %% is the pump drawing water from the south to north

edit - i dispatched a team of Urist McScientists to try this concept.  Didn't work.  Water flowed into the level dug out under the wheel.

edit 2 - just wanted to share a heartwarming picture of the construction site that all dwarfers can enjoy - child labourers.  It's not even modded, I'm guessing they've just watched their parents or something.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:30:20 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 09:45:42 am »

I love playing with forts other people have started, because it takes forever before mine get anywhere near usability.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 09:49:44 am »

Have fun with Knifemurders.  There's levers everywhere, multiple redundant reactors everywhere and a reservoir with complicated channel controls routing it all over Lower Knifemurders. Oh and very little in the way of wildlife that isn't utterly dead.

qoou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 01:53:03 pm »

A fun idea:

- Make a long Magma Moses device that needs N power.
 - Make a smaller version of BloodBeard's reactor, so that its power output fluctuates around N (but usually stays above).
 - Make the Moses device the only path into your fort.

Every time migrants or caravans want to come by, they have to play Dwarven Magma Roulette.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 08:50:04 pm »

Fun, but i already deal with traders in my own way - a sealable room with a channel leading to the reservoir.  Fill it, drown them, drain it down a grate and collect.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2011, 10:51:57 pm »

Construction update on what i've dubbed "Big Urist".

I'm only showing levels 2-4, because level 1's just empty.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 10:59:08 pm »

That's going to be one big ass reactor... have fun collecting all the wood  :D

Why the supporting gears on both sides?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2011, 11:03:15 pm »

So i can build from both ends and save time. Oh and I have a LOT of wood.  if you want to see just how much, load up the save, go to F3 and go up a level to check out Cavern 3 and my logging operation.

edit - I just checked the current power requirements - 874 uW.  Considering it's about 10% built and Bloodbears OU design consumed about 2000uW, this thing's gonna be BIG.  If it works.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:14:59 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2011, 11:30:26 pm »

Ah, makes sense.

Some helpfuls pointers on the design before you get too far. The layer that holds the water needs to be a bit longer then the rest of the reactor at the pumps' end. You'll get a lot more waterwheels turning with that extra bit of water.

On the 3rd level where the water falls down into the cistern on the first level, the water level will be very low. Waterwheels at the edge of that cliff won't turn and will just waste power so I don't know if you'd want to build any there. You can always remove them though so it's up to you. You can get a good idea of which waterwheels are providing power by removing the horizontal axles connecting them together so it's easy to see what changes if any you need to make.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2011, 11:45:13 pm »

Cheers, I'll keep that in mind.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2011, 08:56:33 am »

It's half-way done now with 11 of the 21 water wheels complete (set up a row on each level, go do something else and check it every now and then, then repeat) and i'd like to share the current idle power requirement for everyone's amusement; 3,462 uW.  And that's with it half-built.  I'll add pics or the save if anyone really wants them.

Oh and a special mention to Aban Kisstomes, a two-year-old girl who disconnected one of the construction walkways and was knocked off of Level 4 down to the bottom by the dust cloud.  Her legs and hands are broken, her  liver, pancreas AND heart are bruised, and so is the rest of her body.  Taking all bets to see if she survives and learns a lesson about workplace safety!  (Keep in mind there is a hospital quite close to the construction site.  It's rather busy right now due to a lack of OHSA oversight.

+++++++Emergency modified update (as i didn't want to triple-post)++++++++++

The goddamn elves have gotten inside Knifemurders near Big Urist/Udib.  Trained militiadwarves have been dispatched, but they'll take time to reach them.  Clearly the pansy treehuggers are upset with the vast amounts of wood i've used in the waterwheels.  Alas, due to a design flaw in some floodgates (not being magma-safe) and a lack of water in the primary reactor, i cannot magma them like a true dwarf.  Udib's and his two Axelord mates are on their way with several lesser-awesome dwarves.  For anyone playing with the save, they turn up around the start of Hematite, 256

+++++Emergency modified update 2 +++++++

The elves are dead.  The Copper Relics slaughtered them all, elf and eagle.  The Elven Spearmaster somehow got inside the upper town inside the mountain though (swear the doors were locked, really).  I sent the Copper Relics to kill him, but ironically he got a pick in the head from some miner he managed to corner. Oh and now, to top it off, a FB with Deadly Dust has attacked my logging camp in Cavern 3 Udib took one look at the FB, slammed it against the wall and stabbed it in the head.  Wasn't even a struggle.  More elves have turned up again, though.

Beginning to suspect the game itself fears Big Udib being completed....>.>
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:27:16 am by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2011, 09:39:03 pm »

The elves are dead and construction's back on schedule. 

Funnily enough, i actually AM running low on wood (I blame you, Bloodbeard for jinxing my supplies with your damn logic!  :P).  There's still plenty of fresh wood coming in from Cavern 3 though, so it's not like i'm in danger of lacking enough to finish Big Udib/Urist.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

8)

Bah, you'll probably complete it ahead of mine:

This is the 'clean' version of the one I made a topic on that i'm putting in my fort. Started building it 7 or 8 years ago with the only thing slowing me down being a lack of towercap (want it to be all tower-cap). There's plenty in the caverns but i've been distracted with other projects and jobs. I'm in no real hurry to finish it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only THREE rows of water wheels? Bah, a mere power source compared to my engine of perpetually-moving madness!  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6