Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Knifemurders really that horrific and terrifying?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 1 (11.1%)
I may never sleep again...
- 1 (11.1%)
OHGOD, THERE'S DEATH EVERYWHERE! WHAT DID YOU DOOOO?!
- 3 (33.3%)
Nah, Fun happened.
- 4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 12, 2011, 08:58:21 am

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Calling all dwarven engineering madmen/geniuses (Building a BIG water reactor)  (Read 17292 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's the fruit of my labor. The test I posted above still had a tad too much water so I think this one will be even better.

For optimal performance fill the bottom level entirely to 7/7 and no more. Not even 1/7 droplets scattered around the 3rd level. This might be a little hard because of where the water source is but it's pretty finicky about water levels. The microcline lever on the 3rd level will disconnect the pumps from the waterwheels. You might've already had something like that somewhere but I rearranged some of the gears so I needed to make my own. It's in the off position atm so when the reactor is being filled it doesnt turn on accidently.

I don't know how you start it but I get a pump operator on the lower pump and another on the upper pump. It's a little clumsy but I see it as poetic, like turning 2 keys in a nuclear missile silo.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:31:58 pm by BloodBeard »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Downloading it now.  Should be !!Fun!!, i hope.  Oh, did you figure out how to manage the reservoir and the pumpstack-powering reactor?

edit - got your version up to 30,800 uW (i filled the bottom level to about 6/7-ish on the bottom level).  NOW we're getting somewhere.  I'm gonna modify my save into this.

Oh and the dual-key's largely unnecessary.  As soon as you throw the lever, there's enough power in the wheels to kick-start the system
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:21:51 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The reactors were still powering the pumpstack when I needed it, was no problem. The pump that pumps water into the reactor lost power, but I prefer to do it manually.

2 keys, 2 pump operators, a dwarven weapon of mass destruction. Come on, it was meant to be!  :D (What lever would that be though?)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The microcline lever you mentioned.  There's already a lever that disengaged the lower gear from the pumps, but it didn't disengage the top level's as well (it does now).  There's a small control room in the lower left-hand corner of the reactor.  The gabbro lever controls the floodgates for an emergency venting on level 3.  The microcline lever disengaged the last row of wheels on top to test their output.  I removed that row, so it's kinda pointless now.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I kinda fucked up your lever system with my rearranging of the gears so yeah, microcline ftw. Ah so you're talking about the power generated when the water sloshes around when you fill it. Yeah, I have obsessive dwarf disorder so I wait untill the cistern fills up to what I want and settles, by then it's not generating anymore power. 2 keys, bitch.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've staggered a set of walls at the base of where the water hits (owowowowowo where o = floor, w = wall), and i'm thinking that if you set up a series of zig-zag walls like that in pairs of two (woowoo), we might get some of that settled 7/7 water moving

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

O,o I'm not so sure we're on the same page. It doesn't really matter, I like my way.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

from what i understand and have seen, when water hits a wall, it has to path around it and therefore move.  By setting up a few individual walls, it keeps the water recalculating and moving forward to the sides of the wall it hit.

edit - Been looking at the water flow, where it stacks, etc.  Wondering if we'd get a more consistent and higher output if we divided levels 1 and 3 into two or more channels?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:00:33 am by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've rebuilt a little (been busy the last few days) and divided the first and third levels into five channels (with the pump above's output channeled into five closable hatches.  The levers are nearby).  Level 1's filled with water to just shy of full, so it'll have to be primed manually with a dwarf on the upper and lower pumps (Bloodbeard's Dual Key System).  Hopefully it should deliver a more consistent, and higher, output.  Oh, and you might need to clear a few trees out of the pumps just below F2.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4833
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]