Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Knifemurders really that horrific and terrifying?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 1 (11.1%)
I may never sleep again...
- 1 (11.1%)
OHGOD, THERE'S DEATH EVERYWHERE! WHAT DID YOU DOOOO?!
- 3 (33.3%)
Nah, Fun happened.
- 4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 12, 2011, 08:58:21 am

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Calling all dwarven engineering madmen/geniuses (Building a BIG water reactor)  (Read 17284 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

I have a reservoir that's 34x27x3.  I have easy access to filling it.  What I need now are some designs to make this into a water reactor so powerful that it would make Armok himself sober up on sight.  Resources are plentiful, as are minions well-meaning labourers.  Ideas, anyone?

New version with two of the ten rows of waterwheels on level 2 completed
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4802
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:46:56 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all dwarven engineering madmen/geniuses
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:05:21 am »

I had found a thread detailing a design for a massive reactor system somewhere, searching for it now...

Here we go: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87839.msg2397117#msg2397117

Over-under reactor. Frighteningly powerful, but still, I get a sense of urgency in your textual tone that tells me this isn't quite dorfy enough. Sadly, I am more of a dwarven biologist/geologist, not an engineer. I am mad, though.

The simple solution is to build it bigger.
The complex solution is to help brainstorm how to make it both more efficient and more powerful.
The dorfy solution is to figure out how to satisfy the complex solution conditions, and use it to kill something.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:08:44 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 04:12:37 am »

I might sig that last part.

It's not a matter of urgency, it's just a matter of !!Fun!!.  My fort's doing well, I'm well defended and rich, so i figure time for a megaproject.  And this massive cistern's doing nothing except periodically filling a well, so might as well do something BIG.

edit - I'm just gonna finish pumping out the cisterns and shut down the pumpstack for FPS's sake, then i'm gonna put the save up for anyone wanting a look-see if they have any ideas.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:19:01 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 04:30:45 am »

Well, thanks for the second chance at being sigged!

Now, speaking of how to make it interesting, you can simply build the reactor as described in that thread, perhaps adding a third layer of waterwheels. It would be significantly time consuming, and possibly put a couple of the workers' lives at risk if you make mistakes. However, to make it dorfy, you must build it over your entryway, lace the water on every level with horribly toxic FB extract, and have retracting bridges which dump it on invaders, then auto close from a pressure plate's signal from low water levels, which simultaneously triggers the floodgate to the reservoir to open, restarting the reactor.

Now, how would we go about getting such miserably toxic FB extract into said chamber, without poisoning your actual water supply...?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 04:31:13 am »

If you want it to be something both useful and efficient, you could use it to fuel a water powered defense system.

Code: [Select]
HPHPHPHPHPHPHPH
WFXFWFWFWFWFWFW
WXWXWXWXWXWXWXW

... = open space over 15 or so z level drop.

HPHP = alternating hatches and pressure plates.  The pressure plates are each linked to the hatch in front, and behind them, as well as the floodgate on the other side of the fortification.

WFWF = alternating walls and fortifications
WXWX = alternating walls and floodgates.

Behind this, your water reactor powered pressurized water.

Invader steps on pressure plate, hatches drop away, water blows them off the edge of the cliff.  Then the pressure plate resets itself.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 04:38:13 am »

I'm _still_ pumping water out of the reactor with a screw pump.  I'm getting a solid 13 fps at the moment, but it usually hovers around 20-30 when I don't have liquids flowing everywhere.  Might just kill the power and let it all settle so i can put a save up for you guys to get a look at the building site.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 04:42:50 am »

Now that could be fun...
Heck, with that much power at your disposal, you may as well throw a few other contraptions into the mix around the fort. Possibilities include a cyclical mist generator, and a magma pump stack or, if you possess a volcano, a Mechanically Erupting Volcano System

And if you don't have a volcano, dig out an artificial one and use the improved pump stack to fill it and this even more dorfy pump stack design for the eruption mechanism (guaranteed to spew the stuff all over the place. Dariush is a god among dwarves if there was one, and his avatar certainly describes his engineering concepts!)

Speaking of Dariush and his engineering skills, he needs to get in here quickly!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:44:45 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 04:50:21 am »

That's a genius bit of pumpstackery.  I'm uploading the save now, but the file depot's really slow today for some reason.

Savegame's up in the OP for looking at/being shocked at the horrible mishmash that Knifemurders has become
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:55:18 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 05:05:38 am »

If my current fortress wasn't built into the walls of my volcano's caldera, 90% above ground level and 100% susceptible to self-destruction as soon as the volcano blows the top I placed over it, I would have used that mechanical eruption concept to wipe out the various siege problems i've been experiencing.
Don't think me undorfy however; I've already designed and partially built the actual self destruct mechanism: A 21x21 platform built high over the center of the volcano and rigged to collapse at the pull of a few levers (to prevent gremlins or whatnot collapsing it at the wrong time), thus destroying the entire thing, probably killing a large portion of the populace in the initial cave-in, and definitively destroying everything else soon afterwards. Even the trade depot is set to flood with magma...
I make Spellcrafts!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:08:07 am »

Even the trade depot is set to flood with magma...

My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 07:09:18 am »

Oh, in regards to toxic FB !!Fun!!, would "deadly blood" do the trick?  Load the save, go to F7 and take a look at the small water-filled square slightly northwest of the pumpstack.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 02:09:19 pm »

deadly blood would work... Try to test it on something like a pet llama, and watch. See if it's worth milking from the fb... Somehow.
I make Spellcrafts!

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 02:27:13 pm »

Rig up the giant water reactor, deadly blood, water system, then add "Cleansing Chambers" strategically through the fort. From the pull of a lever or the click of a pressure plate, the chambers would seal and fill with that sweet, sweet deadly water.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 09:30:29 pm »

deadly blood would work... Try to test it on something like a pet llama, and watch. See if it's worth milking from the fb... Somehow.

I'm building a room comprised of grates and steel blade traps over the reactor chamber.  Oh I'll "milk" it alright...  If i can figure out how to cage it, first.  That's going to be quite a challenge.

edit - Oh happy day, a FB with noxious secretions has turned up (never thought I'd say THAT).  Even better, it's spawned right on the edge of the map between two trees. Anyone able to tell me how to web a cage trap?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:48:47 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 10:43:05 pm »

You would have to mine out a 4th z-level but the OU-Reactor Eric kindly referred to would definately do the job. As far as I can tell it can be as wide as possible and potentially longer.

Designing a good, efficient reactor using only 3 z-levels however would be a worthy challenge. Mine can be cut down to 3 z-levels easy but wouldnt be nearly as efficient.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6