Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Let's Play: Pool of Radiance, with no fourth wall  (Read 83187 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play: Pool of Radiance, with no fourth wall
« on: August 07, 2011, 04:31:40 am »

Current Status: Oct 17
Episode 7 complete. Waiting on player feedback.

Character sheets in this post are current as of episode 6, not current as of episode 7.

Direct links to updates:
Episode 1: Welcome to game night: character creation
Episode 2: The adventure begins
Interlude 1: A quick response to the peanut gallery
Episode 3a: Into the slums
Episode 3b: A little party discord
Interlude 2: Sturm returns
Episode 3c: Fight montage, and introducing Axel
Episode 3d: Ouch
Episode 4a: Bandits and beasties and background, Oh my!
Episode 4b: Stealth mission and a duel
Episode 4c: Quest turn-in and leveling
Interlude 3: This is not an interlude
Episode 5a: A Changing of the guard
Episode 5b: Someone Naked This Way Comes
Episode 5c: Trolling, trolling, trolling, keep the party trolling...
Episode 5d: Back to the future
Interlude 4: Cakes and onions
Episode 6a: Cadorna's Heirloom
Episode 6b: Sokal Laharl's Overlord Laharl's keep
Episode 6c: More puzzle pieces
Interlude 5: Waking up the dungeon master
Episode 7a: Organizing the teams
Episode 7b: Team-A negotiates with nomads
Episode 7c: Team-B advances the plot at Mendor's library
Episode 7d: The two teams regroup

Narrator and Dungeon Master
Kyon, played by LordBucket

Party Roster
Sturm Brightblade, Lawful Good Level 4 Fighter, played by Barbarossa the Seal God
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alex Mercer, Chaotic Neutral Level F3/M3 Fighter/Mage played by Shadowgandor

Overlord Laharl, Chaotic Evil Level F3/M3 Fighter/Mage played by Myroc

Ritsuko Akagi, Lawful Good Level C3/M2 Cleric/Mage played by RAM

Lina Inverse, Chaotic Neutral Level 2 Mageplayed by Phenixmirage
Jack Harkness, Level 2 Neutral Fighter played by GlyphGryph
Jim Raynor, Neutral Good Fighter, played by FuzzyZergling
Gimli, Lawful Good Fighter played by AussieGuy
Axel, Chaotic Good fighter/mage played by UltraValican

Currently unavailable due to time travel
Max, Lawful Evil Fighter/Thief played by ExKirby
'Future' Jack Harkness, played by GlyphGryph

NPC Henchmen
Hanz. He will pump you up. - Deceased

Battle Images

Original post

The game
Pool of Radiance, via dosbox

The Rules:

To participate

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
Re: Let's Play: Pool of Radiance, with no fourth wall
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:57:09 am »

I would LOVE to submit all of the Poker Night at the Inventory characters, but if I can only have one, I'll take Max as the Lawful Evil Fighter/Theif.

http://www.samandmax.net/wiki/Max

Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 05:07:34 pm »

I submit Stanley the Tool from Erfworld (Tropes page.)
Lawful Neutral Fighter.

Stanley the Tool, formerly Stanley the Plaid, is the Overlord of Gobwin Knob.
Popped as common infantry, he rose through the ranks, eventually becoming Heir Designate due to his effectiveness in battle and wielding of the Arkenhammer, a powerful artifact.
After the death of his King, Saline IV, he assumed control of the Side and started a Holy War between Gobwin Knob and the Royal Crown Coalition, a group of powerful Sides. He believes that it is his Fate to succeed, and places great faith in the Titans.
He has little to no interest in strategy, either using brute force tactics or leaving important decisions to his underlings.

Any problems?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:38:04 pm by FuzzyZergling »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 06:10:35 pm »

I'll submit Alex Mercer
He's going to be a chaotic neutral fighter/mage. That fine with you?

Blah, anyone know a way to resize pictures?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:38:29 pm by Shadowgandor »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 06:34:52 pm »

Blah, anyone know a way to resize pictures?
[ img width=whatever ]image url[ /img ]

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 07:25:25 pm »

Hey, this is a really interesting idea LordBucket! I've never heard of someone doing something like this before. And Pool of Radiance is a new game to me so I'm glad you provided the link, although it seems to use D&D-esque stats which is good because I'm familiar with and approve of the system. I think your rules for doing this are really interesting, although cheating the outcomes to fit with the characters is going to end up with someone trying to submit Jesus and natural 20 everything. :P

As per the rules, I'll submit Prince Cornelius from Odin Sphere Game Homepage , Odin Sphere Wiki Page for him and Game TvTropes Page.

Spoiler: Character Art (click to show/hide)

Cornelius has got the semi-rebellious prince thing going on, but is still on of the game's heroes and becomes more kingly as the game progresses. I think Chaotic Good or Neutral Good fits him best.

Despite being an excellent swordsman (and stealing Link's spinning sword attack for his double-jump midair combo), Cornelius gameplay does use more Alchemy then others and I like his Psypher/Phozon Powers setup (basically the game's magic). Since he gets power healing, buffing and attacking powers it he kind of falls into both cleric and mage. I really didn't want to stretch it out to three even though you said "combination of two or three" in your original post so either Cleric/Mage or Fighter/Cleric/Mage to be more accurate for his swordsmanship.

I have never done anything in character like this before and I don't want to take up a spot if you have many more people wanting to get into this. If I do get a chance I'll do my best, though admittedly that's not saying much. :P

Thanks for making an interesting thread, LordBucket. At the very least I'm going to watch it to see how things turn out!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:28:38 pm by Basque »

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:13:45 pm »

I'll throw in Captain Brunch,

questing to find his sidekick Patheticus. He'd be a Chaotic Good Mage with a weakness for Heifeweizen, if there's any to be found.

He's Phillip from the Webcomic Goats, and is fairly thick but well-meaning. He's pretty good with technology, being the mythical Programmer supposed to save his reality from destruction by re-writing a section of the code of the universe, editing out the errors made by the Incans who wrote it in the first place (The universe would have ended in 2012 due to this). However, Captain Brunch is from a long time before any of this, so all he knows is that he's good with computers.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 10:21:49 pm »

Probably a barbarian/ranger of some sort.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 12:26:42 am »

this is a really interesting idea LordBucket!

Thanks. It was inspired by the xcom thread going on right now. Unfortunately, so far...

I'll take Max
I submit Stanley the Tool from Erfworld
I'll submit Alex Mercer
I'll submit Prince Cornelius from Odin Sphere
I'll throw in Captain Brunch
I submit Liver Eatin' Johnson.

...so far I have no idea who any of these people are. I've at least heard of Sam & Max hit the road, but I've never played it. The others, if it weren't for the background links I wouldn't even be able to tell you what source material they're from.

I'm going to try to make this work, but this would have been amazingly easier if you'd chosen less completely obscure source materials.

ExKirby
Max
Lawful Evil Fighter/Theif.

I've found a bunch of youtube videos with Max in them, but he doesn't seem to do much other than run in and out of scenes and shoot people. Most of these videos are of totally other things going on, and he's mostly seen just running through the scene with no dialogue at all. When he does talk, it's usually just a quick quip in response to something that Sam says. I need a personality to work with. The wiki page you linked gives me some idea, but it describes him rather than demonstrates him.

Under consideration
Link me some videos that show what the character is like on his own and I'll take him. By that, I mean shows his personality as a distinct entity apart from Sam. Being totally silent and shooting things is not a personality. So far as I can tell, Max is a sidekick, and he depends on his partner Sam to do most of the talking. Also, keep in mind that there are no guns in this game, and Max appears to be exclusively a gun fighter. I'm willing to consider him, but you need to show me a personality and convince me that the character will work in this environment, on his own, without Sam.

FuzzyZergling
Stanley the Tool
Lawful Neutral Fighter.

I've read through the first 30 pages or so of the webcomic, and from what I've seen he's not part of the action. He acts more like a quest giver who stays in his castle. Other characters refer to him, but I've yet to see him actually do anything other than stand around and give orders.

Rejected:
Like you say in your post, he'd rather have his underlings do things for him. That doesn't work for an adventurer.

Shadowgandor:
Alex Mercer
chaotic neutral fighter/mage

If you mean the guy in video, I think I can work with that.

Accepted

Basque
Prince Cornelius
Chaotic Good or Neutral Good
Cleric/Mage or Fighter/Cleric/Mage

The wiki page you linked doesn't really give any information about the guy's personality. It basically describes him as a "courageous hero" and then gives a dozen paragraph walkthrough of where he went and who he killed in the game.

I spent about 10-15 minutes watching gameplay videos of this guy, and what I find is all stuff like this, in which he's presented as a completely generic hero with no personality beyond a british accent that comes and goes.

Under consideration
Show me a video that gives this guy a personality and I'm willing to use him, But so far, everything I've seen, you could take exactly the same dialogue and have Link say it, and nobody would know the difference. Or the nameless swordfighter from the Dragon Warrior NES games. Or...any other generic sword weilding hero.

Burnt Pies
Captain Brunch
Chaotic Good Mage

I scrolled through a couple dozen pages of the page you linked, but never actually found this guy in any of the comics.

Under consideration
Show me this character in action if you want me to consider him. Also, a lot of your description of him doesn't really fit in this scenario. You say he's "questing to find his sidekick." Ok, so why's he in Pool of Radiance? You say he's trying to save reality by rwwriting the computer code for the universe. Ok...again, so what's he doing here? I'm totally willing to be flexible on this kind of thing, but you've given me a lot more information on "what he does" than "who he is." I need to see a personality, and defining his personality by how he relates to things that won't exist in this Let's Play doesn't really work.

Barbarossa the Seal God
Liver Eatin' Johnson.
Probably a barbarian/ranger of some sort

This is isn't even a fictional character, and neither barbarians nor rangers are valid classes listed in the OP. You clearly didn't read the post before submitting a character.

Rejected

Please, make it easy for me guys. Picking out minor characters that I can't even find from webcomics I've never heard of who have goals that have nothing to do with the game universe...I mean, seriously...don't make this difficult just for the sake of being difficult.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 01:22:37 am »

I read the post, but somehow confused nonfictional and fictional, and skipped right over everyone else's posts that would've fixed that. No excuse for the classes thing. Ah well, no harm done, I can just pick another.

Probably all fighter. That's Wikipedia, though, because I couldn't find a TVtropes article. Related tropes, however, are 'knight in shining armor', 'ancestral weapon', 'anyone can die' (Thus relating 'tear jerker'/'downer ending'), and a few others.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 01:34:12 am »

Wow LordBucket, you're putting a lot more thought and effort into this than I had planned on. Considering the fact I've never done anything like this before I really don't think I'd be able to keep up with you. :-[ But the good news is it looks like you have a lot of other people around to participate! I'll keep an eye on the thread but I think it's going to be way beyond me. Good luck with everything!  ;)

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 01:43:40 am »

Tom Bombadil

Mage, I guess. Neutral good (?)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:48:35 am by AussieGuy »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 02:52:17 am »

Barbarossa the Seal God:
Sturm Brightblade
Accepted
Awesome. A character I know.

AussieGuy
Tom Bombadil
Rejected
Doesn't work. The whole point of Tom's character is that he's completely uninterested in getting involved with anything. The only way to roleplay him in this adventure would be for him to say hello to everyone, then wave them on their merry way like he did with Frodo and company. Even when the fellowship was forming Gandalf made a point of explaining that they couldn't simply give him the One Ring, because he really wouldn't care enough to do anything about it.

Basque
LordBucket, you're putting a lot more thought and effort into this

Thank you. For comparison, here's the last Let's Play I did.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 05:07:53 am »

Another LOTR character then:

Gimli

Fighter, Lawful Good

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 10:02:51 am »

Brunch is from way back in the Archives, but Phillip is the grey guy on the page I linked. Here's the first comic Brunch mentioned in. There's a few beforehand which feature him and his sidekick Patheticus righting wrongs.

At the time Brunch came into being, he had no idea of the whole re-writing the code of the universe thing, he's just a guy dressing up as a superhero for laughs and beer. The whole searching for his sidekick thing was a flimsy attempt to give him some backstory other than being a weird drunk.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13